Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Barbarian

Arcane
I'm wonder how works patron interactions and Dark Urge miget pilot? Thare are any?

It's a long shot, but I'm hoping for some Malkavian-tier nonsense from that combination.

Or plain crazy in Lovecraft variant. There is also Archfey patron but I didn't dig any information about that.

Nah, they can't go this deep. They can't. Even some of this stuff they brag about is pretty meh. I.e: The "hundreds" of unique dialogue interactions for the snowflake races Gith and Drow(it is motly flavor conversation with a few actual unique choices thrown in).

I think picking a wlock as tav will already be somewhat convoluted and nonsensical from a roleplaying perspective, picking it for durge would be even worse. I would pick Wyll origin for playing a lock.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You can get all the info from the fucking actual rules online.
The rules are changed in their adaptation. An example given earlier is how Sneak Attack isn't a bonus to your regular attack, but rather an alternative attack that you use instead of your regular attack. I am also not sure if every weapon type has its own special attack in tabletop, as it does in BG3.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The rules are changed in their adaptation. An example given earlier is how Sneak Attack isn't a bonus to your regular attack, but rather an alternative attack that you use instead of your regular attack. I am also not sure if every weapon type has its own special attack in tabletop, as it does in BG3.
Now you've done it, driven Fedora mad. He likes his orderly rules

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If they can't implement the RAW then they're shit developers.

Barbarian

Arcane

That will almost surely change with the reaction system. You will be able to add sneak attack to your offhand attack instead of main hand attack for instance, or when making multiple attacks choose which one to add sneak attack damage - as per the rules one sneak attack per round.

It was a special action because reactions weren't fully implemented yet(at least that is what I read somewhere).

Shaki

Arbiter

Fungal Infestation​

At 6th level, your spores gain the ability to infest a corpse and animate it. If a beast or a humanoid that is Small or Medium dies within 10 feet of you, you can use your reaction to animate it, causing it to stand up immediately with 1 hit point. The creature uses the Zombie stat block in the Monster Manual. It remains animate for 1 hour, after which time it collapses and dies.

In combat, the zombie's turn comes immediately after yours. It obeys your mental commands, and the only action it can take is the Attack action, making one melee attack.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once), and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

But can you fuck the fungal spore infested zombie, or no?

copebot

Learned
All of these "what class is right for you?" type videos revolve around the youtuber reading tooltips for the viewer. Even Mortismal (the most popular RPG youtuber now) does it. Has the English comprehension of an average gamer really gotten that low? You can get all that information just by reading and using your brain. I was looking for some actual tips and tricks, like things you would never find by yourself, but it seems that's too much to expect from this game. Fuck it, I'll just go in completely blind.
Literacy levels are quite low among the current crop of young adults. The younger you go, the worse it gets. BG3 is probably targeted at people exactly my age (mid-30s-40s), but gaming Youtube skews young. Part of the problem is related to sight reading, but the main issue is that their narrative literacy is also very poor. They might be able to understand a short message, but something longer than that is going to be very befuddling. Their capacity to listen is also pretty low, so they rely on closed captions to better comprehend spoken presentations as well. Effective long form literacy requires practice, and most of this generation never use it either for recreation or work. This includes professionals like doctors and lawyers.

Barbarian

Arcane
It is pretty established that if you want more interactions and flavor you should pick snowflake races. Particularly dorw, githianky and tiefling(these races had confirmed hundreds of unique quips and dialogue interactions in ea).

Rarely anyone will remark on you being a human or half-elf, surely. There was that one time Swen complained that most players picked these two options. I guess he went out of his way to get the "diversity" he wanted, and he succeeded. Because really, you lose several perks from picking human and half-elf over anything else. Elves in particular are great(extra skill proficiencies and spells).

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
guess he went out of his way to get the "diversity" he wanted, and he succeeded. Because really, you lose several perks from picking human and half-elf over anything else.
I think Wizards pushed for this new stats system, which will be the standard in the next D&D edition.
Surprised they didn't push to have the word "race" removed, and replaced with species or whatever. They were doing that a year ago for other media.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Surprised they didn't push to have the word "race" removed, and replaced with species or whatever
I thought they actually did that already
Not in Baldur's Gate 3, I mean. They are doing it in printed D&D properties and I think maybe in Magic The Gathering.
I mean, technically, isn't species more correct than races anyway? I'm not big on Forgotten Realms lore, but do the elves and humans and dwarves and whatnot share a common ancestor, given that they can create half-whatever offsprings anyway. Races makes more sense in a scifi setting.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I mean, technically, isn't species more correct than races anyway?
Yes, though I did get 999 retard tags for saying as much in another thread.
Its not that the new label is wrong. The new label is better than the old label. Its the need to change it that's dumb. But I don't strongly care one way or the other.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Surprised they didn't push to have the word "race" removed, and replaced with species or whatever
I thought they actually did that already
Not in Baldur's Gate 3, I mean. They are doing it in printed D&D properties and I think maybe in Magic The Gathering.
do the elves and humans and dwarves and whatnot share a common ancestor

No. Some humans were made by the creator races, while others (e.g. the Mulani) come from other planets/planes

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
One week left, bastards.
Reminder half-orcs will be in the game on release, with superior martial class abilities.
bastard.jpg

Barbarian

Arcane
One week left, bastards.
Reminder half-orcs will be in the game on release, with superior martial class abilities.
View attachment 39298
If you think about it, pretty surprising that larian made no "we wuz kangz orcz" companion or major npc. Fagfinder was pretty insistent in this regard. In this game it looks to be a minor and unpopular PC race and that is it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
One week left, bastards.
View attachment 39298
If you think about it, pretty surprising that larian made no "we wuz kangz orcz" companion or major npc. Fagfinder was pretty insistent in this regard. In this game it looks to be a minor and unpopular PC race and that is it.
An actual "We wuz Chiefz" Ork companion would be funny. "We invented dat u kno"

Incendax

Augur
No short companions either.
In fact, every single companion is at least mildly attractive. No respect for the ugly.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
No short companions either.
In fact, every single companion is at least mildly attractive. No respect for the ugly.
No worry, almost every other game on the market caters to your taste if you're into that

Barbarian

Arcane
So Larian just made a game with no nigs I mean orcs, no short people, and every companion save a token black guy(who is so wildly unpopular he is being rewritten) is "hawt" and white?

Based!

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So Larian just made a game with no nigs I mean orcs, no short people, and every companion save a token black guy(who is so wildly unpopular he is being rewritten) is "hawt" and white?

Based!
Drow are the niggers of Fearun

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Drow are basically the equivalent of middle class teenage goth chicks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom