Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

So I continued my journey and finished act2. Have to say act2 really was something else compared to my expectations .It's the longest Divinity game I have played so far.
Happy that beam dog didn't get to do BG3.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
So I continued my journey and finished act2. Have to say act2 really was something else compared to my expectations .It's the longest Divinity game I have played so far.
Happy that beam dog didn't get to do BG3.

Oh yes. I don't like everything about Larian's games, but they have their strengths. Siege of Dragonspear didn't have any of those.

Shin

Cipher
Welp, I didn't read this thread, waited a few months before trying BG3 (I was going to play it to form my own opinion, being a huge BG1/2 fan) and managed to finish it a few weeks ago. The combat is enjoyable enough (as the D:OS games were), the D&D mechanics are a lot simpler than I was expecting but do a decent enough job and uhhh, well, I suppose these are the positives. The writing is simply terrible - I haven't played anything Bioware put out post Mass Effect 2 but I have a hard time believing they could do worse. The companions are all insufferably annoying, the new Forgotten Realms 'lore' sucks (although that's probably not on Larian) and while I'm not usually one to complain about 'woke' shit, the 'modern sensibilities' of how Faerun/the Sword Coast is portrayed strays so far from the IE games that I felt dirty for having played it (luckily I didn't have to pay for it since a GoG installer showed up on my harddrive one day). The music is bland (my god the song that plays in the Act 3 camp made me want to break my desk), and while some characters have a high degree of graphic fidelity, the game lacks a visual style (I have the same problems with the D:OS games). The pacing seems off and I think having Mind Flayers, Githyanki and Red Dragons show up in the darn intro sequence is a poor choice compared to the rags-to-riches storytelling that most IE games offered. Having said that, the Mind Flayers and especially the Githyanki culture are depicted very lame and not at all that different from the other races (but I suppose this fits the agenda). When I hit the level cap early in act 3 I lost most interest in whatever the game had to offer (since, unlike BG1/2 the game throws magic items at you like it ain't no thang and thus the game lacked any power progression the last 20 hours or so) and had to trudge my way to the final bossfight and was glad when I finally got done with it.

Again, to stress this point (probably made a lot in these last 689 pages), the writing fucking irked me in this game and convinced me that even Bethesda writes better games. At least Bethsoft knows (by now) they suck in that department while Larian pretends they can write epic fantasy. It's certainly more Twilight than Tolkien.

Hagashager

Educated
I listened to a summary of Rime of the Frostmaiden and was immediately disgusted by what I heard.

For fuck's sake, if you're gonna have a snow-themed setting have the encounters be winter themed. There's shit like alien Illithid children, and flying whales.

What???

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
How many gay tieflings can we cram into ten towns?

His major reasoning for the IWD 3 assumption is Larian recording some sound effects for footsteps in snow. I think that's more likely to be for a BG3 expansion/DLC than a new project that's only had early draft planning for the act 1 story worked on so far. I don't think they'd be recording sound effects for that at this stage of their development process.

Falksi

Arcane
Icewind Dale was cool and worth a play for sure, but it's not anywhere near up there with BG2, and not a franchise I'd be against them touching tbh.

Remember, this is good for the genre in general. Whatever Larian fucks up doesn't really matter in the grander scheme of things if sales of TB CRPGs increase, and thus good devs have a more fertile foundation to grow their games from.

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Siege of Dragonspear didn't have any of those
Disagree. It had majestic art and well done dungeons as well as some side quests. Also experiencing IE cranked to its limits was quite entertaining as well.

I can agree with the dungeons, although I can't rate it properly because I hate RtwP. But art? Where?
I mean maps, backgrounds and stuff. Almost all of them look great.

221639.1450386999.jpg

Are you sure?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How many gay tieflings can we cram into ten towns?

His major reasoning for the IWD 3 assumption is Larian recording some sound effects for footsteps in snow. I think that's more likely to be for a BG3 expansion/DLC than a new project that's only had early draft planning for the act 1 story worked on so far. I don't think they'd be recording sound effects for that at this stage of their development process.

I was simultaneously impressed and disgusted with how he stretched that into what, 10 minutes?

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Well, Icewind Dale 1&2 were combat heavy games with "decent" story at best. And you were building your whole party instead of hiring random characters. Most Larian characters suck so I guess having whole party to build from the ground up would save us from shitty romances and retarded and "unique" party members. Question is - would Larian follow "proper" IWD way, or force us to hire their newly created fucked up "personalities".
I actually really enjoyed IWD1 & 2 cozy atmosphere. Playing it in the middle of winter while drinking hot chocolate was a blast back then. Good times.

But weren't they supposed to be working on another Divinity game for now?

Siege of Dragonspear didn't have any of those
Disagree. It had majestic art and well done dungeons as well as some side quests. Also experiencing IE cranked to its limits was quite entertaining as well.

I can agree with the dungeons, although I can't rate it properly because I hate RtwP. But art? Where?
I mean maps, backgrounds and stuff. Almost all of them look great.

221639.1450386999.jpg

Are you sure?
I remember that part - a dense area full of toxic fumes, with a dying myconid on the center of it. Felt like it should've been something important, but it was never mentioned, nor it was part of any quest. so weird.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom