Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Hold me bros, I'm getting destroyed by weeaboo shit

afbeelding.png

Crichton

Prophet
By the way, "Netherbrain" is one of the dumbest things I've heard in a game.

The association with Netheril and Shadow Magic is also wrong. At the time of the Empire the Shadow Weave didn't even exist.
I don't think that the term "Netherbrain" is any dumber than the rest of Forgotten Realms (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Raggamoffyn).

What is stupid is the fagperor using it like it's an established part of the game world and not something he just made up.

"Netherbrain"

tumblr_nh1y5j34hl1sdv4q6o3_250.gif

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
bruh its all made up, and usually made up ad hoc for one adventure without consideration on how it influences the general setting
not like forgotten realms has a cohesive physics or biology systems that explain teleportation, turning things to rock, or how a fuckhuge fat lizard can fly between continents

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
nature is healing

In real terms: people are coming up against the brick wall of loss of interest and engagement in Act 3 :)

I still think it's a good game through Act 1 and 2 (maugre the alphabet bullshit - but there are mods for that) and there are some great quests and set pieces in Act 3, but Act 3 is where the game falls off a cliff in terms of managing to sustain the player's engagement, mainly because by that time you've discovered the game has 5 billion big bad enemies to keep track of, etc., etc.

It's a shame Larian didn't get to really finish it properly, and it's a shame they were so neurotically afraid of the game not being "big" enough that they tried to cram too many "big" plot threads and twists into the game. But other than those problems (and the alphabets, etc.) I liked it, and still quite like it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
By the way, "Netherbrain" is one of the dumbest things I've heard in a game.

The association with Netheril and Shadow Magic is also wrong. At the time of the Empire the Shadow Weave didn't even exist.
I don't think that the term "Netherbrain" is any dumber than the rest of Forgotten Realms (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Raggamoffyn).

What is stupid is the fagperor using it like it's an established part of the game world and not something he just made up.

"Netherbrain"

tumblr_nh1y5j34hl1sdv4q6o3_250.gif
The only ones who had their brains in the nether were the devs

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
bruh its all made up, and usually made up ad hoc for one adventure without consideration on how it influences the general setting
not like forgotten realms has a cohesive physics or biology systems that explain teleportation, turning things to rock, or how a fuckhuge fat lizard can fly between continents
No, but it has established history and cultures, most of which the game gets wrong.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/larians-art...t-matters-but-the-main-thing-is-looking-cool/

Larian's art director on the outfits of Baldur's Gate 3, and why making them fit matters but 'the main thing is looking cool'​

D&D authenticity also had a significant impact on designs.

Although recently promoted to art director at Larian, Alena Dubrovina hadn't originally planned a career in games. After a false start studying journalism, she started over with a game-focused art education, including a required internship. She interned at Larian, stayed on as a junior artist, and moved on from there.

"What attracted me to games," says Dubrovina, "was the amount of variety that you could contribute to. A game is not only focusing on architecture, or fashion, or anatomy—right? It's all of those things combined."

Dubrovina was a lead character artist during Baldur's Gate 3's development, the responsibilities of which included clothing and armour design. These designs were very much a collaborative process however, involving multiple people including writers, concept artists and more.

The design team has changed and grown significantly since Divinity: Original Sin 2 went into production, too. "Back in the day we were a team of maybe four character artists," says Dubrovina, "[and] we grew it ever since". The six-year production time of Baldur's Gate 3 meant that "we were figuring out what to do along the way", with the quality of armour and costume designs improving noticeably over the years.

Baldur's Gate 3 presented a challenge Divinity: Original Sin 2 didn't have, in terms of the adjustable cinematic camera. Patterns and clothing designs now needed to work from both close-up and far away. Dubrovina gives an example of three patterns which, while distinct up close, looked the same at distance.

The D&D 'bibles' available to the team determined which types of armour could be used, and by which classes. The practicalities of game development provided further restrictions to work within. The wildest and most flamboyant armour or clothing designs at the concept stage sometimes had to be cut, as tech animators would point out that they were not practical for animated characters within a game world.

That doesn't mean that there was no creativity or fun; far from it. "Sometimes we came up with something that we hadn't done before," explains Dubrovina, "and then we'll make a small test; and if everybody is happy with how it looks, we go for it." Circling back to the D&D authenticity, one example of this having a significant impact on design is the barbarian class, and how characters within it are supposed to be naturally tough.

"Their outfit is technically not considered to be protective. That was a huge challenge for people who never designed such an armour! In the briefing, it says 'armour', it's an equipment piece. So you keep wanting to add shoulder pads. You keep wanting to add some kind of protective belt, or a chest plate. And whenever we got the sketches we were like, no, no, it shouldn't be an armour, this is too protective! We needed to follow the design behind it."

When she first started working on Baldur's Gate 3, Dubrovina would point out that some armour designs weren't practical, or were somehow unrealistic. Eventually, "I realised that wasn't the goal. The main thing is looking cool, and fitting in the game setting, and telling the story that it needs to tell. And what I noticed as well—no complaints from the online community!" When designing outfits and armour, Dubrovina believes real-world trends matter. "I think it's very important for game professionals not to isolate themselves from it. It's really easy to get stuck in this bubble and to just be the guy who works in a very specific style. Partially, I think what made Baldur's Gate 3 such a successful game, is that we made it as varied as possible."

Old Hans

Arcane
This game has a tiny selection of OK outfits. The vast majority look like weird overly designed high fashion horseshit. we cant just have a normal chain hauberk. It needs have buttons and shoulder pads and zippers.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Can't get into the game. Mechanically it seems pretty fine, but the whole movement, camera juggling, and clicking feels like a clusterfuck.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"Larian's art director on the outfits of Baldur's Gate 3, and why making them fit matters but 'the main thing is looking cool'"

The armor/clothing designers for BG3 couldn't even bother making them consistent in the underlying mesh of the wearer, so that a character's body shape will change suddenly with their outfit, but they're bragging about their performance.

Crichton

Prophet
As a public service, I loaded up a save from my Gale origin playthrough and checked the ending changes, which are a bit of a mixed bag:

After turning into a squid to spare Orpheus, I tried:

1) the new ascension ending; which does work, you don't just get fried by Mystra now. But apparently even as a god Gale can't figure out how to restore his appearance so he still looks like a squid at Withers afterparty (shit ending, totally takes the fun out of ascending).

2) the old simp ending, becoming her herald in exchange for getting his soul restored. This didn't work at all, she offered and the closest I could get to accepting was "I'll consider this later", so squid Gale just hangs out on Faerun with Shadowheart. (also pretty shit)

TDLR: just let Orpheus go squid and finish him off afterward; everything between that and Gale nuking the MegaNetherBrain is fucked.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This game has a tiny selection of OK outfits. The vast majority look like weird overly designed high fashion horseshit. we cant just have a normal chain hauberk. It needs have buttons and shoulder pads and zippers.

Yeah it's the usual story that the "basic" outfits look better than (most of) the higher-level shit.

Thank goodness for Transmog Enhanced, now I can make everything Wyll wears look like his basic padded armor :) And there's nothing for Shadowheart that looks better than her starter armor, so into the Transmog it goes. Etc.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Yeah it's the usual story that the "basic" outfits look better than (most of) the higher-level shit.

Thank goodness for Transmog Enhanced, now I can make everything Wyll wears look like his basic padded armor :) And there's nothing for Shadowheart that looks better than her starter armor, so into the Transmog it goes. Etc.
Shadowheart's starting armor can be replaced with the much-better-looking githyanki armor even before entering the druids' grove:

SH1.png

Through the entire rest of the game, every other piece of armor useful for Shadowheart looked worse, except for another githyanki armor that is just a re-skin of the earlier one with darker metal and purple gems.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Through the entire rest of the game, every other piece of armor useful for Shadowheart looked worse, except for another githyanki armor that is just a re-skin of the earlier one with darker metal and purple gems.
The justiciar armor looks good, and it gets an upgrade later on. And obviously thematically fits her.
If you dye her hair, you can move to one of the other more light-looking armors you buy in Act III.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Hold me bros, I'm getting destroyed by weeaboo shit

afbeelding.png

All the normies moved onto the next trash game. What the fuck even is Palworld? Who cares! It's the popular thing to consume now just like BG3 was.

The justiciar armor looks good, and it gets an upgrade later on. And obviously thematically fits her.
If you dye her hair, you can move to one of the other more light-looking armors you buy in Act III.

Someone wanted to show me a 3D model of a Haarlep and when I opened the link I immediately knew it was from BG3. Everything in BG3 looks like generic shit. It is Oblivion argonian/khajiit level of laziness just splash a different color palette on a human model and call it a day. Shit game.

Haarlep_Model_Female.png

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Everything in BG3 looks like generic shit. It is Oblivion argonian/khajiit level of laziness just splash a different color palette on a human model and call it a day. Shit game.
Compared to what, the platonic ideal of what an RPG could be, in the Utopia? BG3 is a good game, when compared to other existing games.
You were groomed into thinking hating things is cool, and enlightened, and a sign of sophistication. This prevents you from enjoying your hobby as much as you could be, as you instinctively try to hate, to feel an unpleasant emotion, to signal how hardcore you are to the other people suffering from the same affliction. Seek help.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Everything in BG3 looks like generic shit. It is Oblivion argonian/khajiit level of laziness just splash a different color palette on a human model and call it a day. Shit game.
Compared to what, the platonic ideal of what an RPG could be, in the Utopia? BG3 is a good game, when compared to other existing games.
You were groomed into thinking hating things is cool, and enlightened, and a sign of sophistication. This prevents you from enjoying your hobby as much as you could be, as you instinctively try to hate, to feel an unpleasant emotion, to signal how hardcore you are to the other people suffering from the same affliction. Seek help.
Who groomed me, exactly?
If anything it was these consistently disappointing games. If they were not constantly shit I wouldn't be "afflicted" by anything.

I don't care if you think BG3 is a good game. It's not my BG3. I played the originals and this is not it. It's some bizarre modernized bastardization which is what appeals to the common RPG gamer and streamer crowd. Games are capable of being enlightening and sophisticated, but BG3 only manages to look like junk.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Who groomed me, exactly?
If anything it was these consistently disappointing games. If they were not constantly shit I wouldn't be "afflicted" by anything.

I don't care if you think BG3 is a good game. It's not my BG3. I played the originals and this is not it. It's some bizarre modernized bastardization which is what appeals to the common RPG gamer and streamer crowd. Games are capable of being enlightening and sophisticated, but BG3 only manages to look like junk.
But why are you mad? We got something better than the old RTWP trash.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I don't care about the gameplay. So long as it's good and playable.
It's the way the game presents itself. I've never seen a gayer game in my life. It feels like every character that talks to you wants to fuck you up the ass. That's why you love it so much. You love that feeling, don't you faggot?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don'tcare about the gameplay. So long as it's good and playable.
It's the entire way the game presents itself. I've never seen a gayer game in my life and it feels like every character wants to fuck you up the ass. That's why you love it so much. You love that feeling, don't you faggot?
See, this is exactly what I was talking about. Not liking games isn't political activism. You aren't fighting against DA MAN by downvoting a video game on Steam. You aren't owning da libs xD by posting on the Codex how much you don't like something. You aren't a brave martyr mujahadeen waging a holy jihad on the gays by refusing to have fun with the most fun cRPG we've had in a while.
You are missing out, for no reason, and to nobody's gain. And the only people witnessing it are other people suffering the same sunk cost fallacy, as you reinforce each other's descent into misery.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I don'tcare about the gameplay. So long as it's good and playable.
It's the entire way the game presents itself. I've never seen a gayer game in my life and it feels like every character wants to fuck you up the ass. That's why you love it so much. You love that feeling, don't you faggot?
See, this is exactly what I was talking about. Not liking games isn't political activism. You aren't fighting against DA MAN by downvoting a video game on Steam. You aren't owning da libs xD by posting on the Codex how much you don't like something. You aren't a brave martyr mujahadeen waging a holy jihad on the gays by refusing to have fun with the most fun cRPG we've had in a while.
You are missing out, for no reason, and to nobody's gain. And the only people witnessing it are other people suffering the same sunk cost fallacy, as you reinforce each other's descent into misery.
Do you actually think me being repulsed by faggots wanting to fuck me up my ass is purely political activism? Please make it make sense. I'm not American. I don't think on that level where I attribute everything to politics. That's retarded shit.

If I see a shit game I call it out for what it is. Ever since Swen first showcased the game where he stacked barrels on a beach I knew I was going to hate this piece of shit. And that was before all the bear sex hype and everyone hailing it as game of the decade. I don't simply change my opinion just because the rest of the gaming sphere does. The gaming sphere is retarded and couldn't identify a good game if their life depended on it. Just look at Palworld. Yet they all flock to it because it's the "current thing".

As far as I'm concerned BG3 was always shit and always will be. And still doesn't even have Day/Night cycles, by the way. But hey! you can choose your genitals so it's a win for cRPG's, clearly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom