Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Sarkile

Magister
Patron

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
lol lmao even. Wyll and Karlach were made for each other. Two nonsense characters with nonsense backgrounds rooted in 5E idiocy.
Karlach is great.
Let me explain why Karlach is shit:
- Another pointless "I used to be super powerful but now I'm weak" companion. Because apparently Larian cucks don't know how to write an interesting characters without some BS "awesome" backstory.
- She's has the worst "funny quip" moments.
- Main problem: She doesn't act like somebody who spent 10 years in, you know, LITERAL HELL. On the frontlines of fuckin' BLOOD WAR.
She would rahter die than go back, but in her personality we see no serious trauma. Except the somewhat arrested development, which turned her into an adorable dork. Oh, the horror!
Apparently, hell is not so bad, you can get through it just with some positive attitude and the love of fightin'.

I understand her appeal in theory. But my brain just activates "this is some anime fanfiction writing" alert.

Hagashager

Educated
lol lmao even. Wyll and Karlach were made for each other. Two nonsense characters with nonsense backgrounds rooted in 5E idiocy.
Karlach is great.
- Another pointless "I used to be super powerful but now I'm weak" companion. Because apparently Larian cucks don't know how to write an interesting characters without some BS "awesome" backstory.
- Main problem: She doesn't act like somebody who spent 10 years in, you know, LITERAL HELL. On the frontlines of fuckin' BLOOD WAR.
She would rahter die than go back, but in her personality we see no serious trauma. Except the somewhat arrested development, which turned her into an adorable dork. Oh, the horror!
Apparently, hell is not so bad, you can get through it just with some positive attitude and the love of fightin'.
Your last point is exactly why I like her.

The absolute last thing we need is yet another wounded bird, victim of circumstance, heart-on-the sleeve, no-responsibility or determination, entitled jerk to manipulate sympathy out of the player and a million Youtubers to point to as "important symbols of trauma recognition."

Karlach got it worse than everyone else. If anyone could make the case that they're an entitled victim, Karlach's the one. But she's not. She freed herself and despite having a literal bomb in her chest, she's determined to help herself.

Is her dialogue a little cheesy, sure, but it's a far cry from the "Whoa is me" bullshit you get from Astarion and Shart.

Lemming42

Arcane
Ninja'd while writing this post, but:
This is half her appeal; in modern storytelling (especially American), everyone talks in therapy language and fixates on having "trauma". It's nice to see a character who has endured terrible things and is able to process it and be fairly relaxed about it. Just based on people I know in real life, and my own mindset, I find Karlach's cheeriness more convincing and realistic than any emo "traumatised" character in recent memory.

Padzi

Arbiter
Karlach is great.

I understand her appeal in theory. But my brain just activates "this is some anime fanfiction writing" alert.

Fair points. Especially the last one, as because of it, she exploded in the end in my playthrough.

From what I heard, Karlach was different in the first version, but they rewrote her. If I find the source, I'll send it to you. Personally, I like Karlach because of her nice personality, but we can agree that it doesn't mesh well with her backstory.

edit:
The voice actress addresses it in the video. Karlach was another "Edgelord" but they softened her up to change things up a bit.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Ninja'd while writing this post, but:
This is half her appeal; in modern storytelling (especially American), everyone talks in therapy language and fixates on having "trauma". It's nice to see a character who has endured terrible things and is able to process it and be fairly relaxed about it. Just based on people I know in real life, and my own mindset, I find Karlach's cheeriness more convincing and realistic than any emo "traumatised" character in recent memory.

A character that went through terribly shit and is coping by being an obnoxious quirky moron also a popular American trope. Deadpool is the most popular example.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Your last point is exactly why I like her.

The absolute last thing we need is yet another wounded bird, victim of circumstance, heart-on-the sleeve, no-responsibility or determination, entitled jerk to manipulate sympathy out of the player and a million Youtubers to point to as "important symbols of trauma recognition."

Karlach got it worse than everyone else. If anyone could make the case that they're an entitled victim, Karlach's the one. But she's not. She freed herself and despite having a literal bomb in her chest, she's determined to help herself.

Is her dialogue a little cheesy, sure, but it's a far cry from the "Whoa is me" bullshit you get from Astarion and Shart.

1. You can still do "positive despite the difficult past" route and signal some mental trauma.
2. If you want to go with "positive despite the difficult past" route, maybe pick up... anything different than literal motherfuckin' HELL?

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
A character that went through terribly shit and is coping by being an obnoxious quirky moron also a popular American trope. Deadpool is the most popular example.
I didn't get the sense she was putting on an "obnoxious quirky" facade to deal with trauma or anything; I got the impression that she's just naturally like that.

She's a dimwit after all, she eats dirt.

jackofshadows

Magister
Decent vets of any kind usually at the very least keep their vet shit to themselves. This misconception of a character however spew all of that at you at the first chance she got. And you're saying she doesn't seem as an entilted victim?

Anyway, she should seem to be a survivalist of some sort, not a retarded let's kill some demons fuck yeah kind of guy. Such idiots just do not last that long. She's also naive as fuck in general and overall acting as a teen who's seen nothing.

Modron

Arcane
I blame anime, probably started over there first and the people with autism over in the west lapped it up like ntr/cuckshit/dickgirls/furry shit/gay light novels/et cetera. Weeab-canadian-californian-tumblr-autism pipeline is a major driver for all that ills.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
A quick reminder that entire Planescape: Torment have been build upon companions being critically "flawed" in one significant way or another. You literally gather a party of characters with seriously fucked up lives.

Padzi

Arbiter
muscled barbarian snu-snu waifu
Tav approves
t2nr4shbiyeb1.png

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
A quick reminder that entire Planescape: Torment have been build upon companions being critically "flawed" in one significant way or another. You literally gather a party of characters with seriously fucked up lives.
everybody is fucked up in that game

Reyvik

Novice
Yeah, Karlach lacking any mental scars and being cheerful to the point of being annoying is quite different than, for example, Nameless one from PS:T who because of the blood war (and many other things) became a living chronicle of pain and despair. I mean, we are talking about demons and abberations beyond mortal mind, you need to be somekind of hard ass doom marine kind of guy to withstand it. All we know about karlach is that she was a bodyguard - I dunno maybe she worked for a nightclub in birmingham, that would explain why she cant get any more traumatised. Btw I feel that portrayal of planes should include your character being mentally scarred. I remember my visit in hells in bg2, during valygar quest and I had my paints soiled positively

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom