Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The combat system in BG3 is miles better than WotR and PotD because here you can utilize positioning, terrain and different entry points by good environment design in a completely different way.

WotR does one thing better and that's actually providing the option for players that want it to push difficulty settings to a place where the game will not allow you to beat encounters if you do not fully optimise your party. How can this be so goddamn difficult to comprehend?
Yeah, you see, the two trends are mutually exclusive. Just like I told you above.

BG3 adds positioning, terrain and open environment design to the balancing equation. Just more things to add to the difficulty of balancing, and remove from the difficulty of playing.

WotR lets you easily raise the difficulty purely mechanically - the "dice difficulty". Yet which game is more enjoyable - WotR in Excel Autism mode, or BG3 with some eye-squinting at the low-hanging fruits of exploits? My pick is BG3.
No, the difficulty is too badly designed in BG3 for any of those things to actually shine in combat. What's the point of positioning if basic strategies like "i cast fireball" or "i will haste my fighter to autoattack the boss", or "i will get a concentration-free bless-on-heal ring 1 hour into the game" or 'i can just use all my long rest abilities as i please because there is enough camping supplies to feed a city' will just delete enemies? The combat doesn't last long enough for any of this shit to matter. That's the whole problem. It doesn't have to be excel autism mode. Just elevated above 'braindead'.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I know, the "just don't use" argument is completely retarded.
Before you call someone retarded, consider that:
1. We are all playing the same game - BG3
2. I'm able to have fun with the game in spite of the normie difficulty.
3. You are complaining about it being too easy, in spite of playing on the higher difficulty (which is still normie). Yet you keep on playing!

I've found a way to enjoy it, you haven't.

Who is the, let's say, "childish one" here again? :lol:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Zeltak, you're going fucking crazy here. I completed the game and linked some vids of my playthrough of no reload, tactician and no problem. I was forced to take a bunch of minutes to think of what the fuck I was going to do. I can literally upload me thinking and reacting. It's not as easy as you say, you mongoloid.
He just can't accept there are people playing differently than what he knows is the most optimal style. He is young, he will learn.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
What would it be?
Here's some ideas:

-Give bosses legendary actions and lair actions (in 5e these are special actions bosses can use outside of their turn). For example liches in 5e have a lair action where they tether to an enemy and half of the damage the lich takes goes to that enemy instead. Imagine if Ketheric Thorm used that on us and half of the damage we dealt to him was dealt to one of our characters.
-Give enemies the tools we have. If we can abuse haste potions why can't they?
-Add more enemies with counterspell so you can't win a fight with a single spell on the first turn, or some other sort of anticasting ability
-Give some enemies misty step and thunderwave
-Give enemies better spells in general. Imagine if all the high level spellcasters you fought would actually cast phantasmal killer or wall of ice or cloudkill

Although this effort might not be needed. Just boosting the enemies stats might be enough to make the game a really satisfying tactical challenge, and boosting stats is seriously needed in some cases. The chosen three especially need buffs to their HP. The second phase of Thorm didn't even attack me once before I killed it and I didn't even have a sorcerer or fighter or paladin to burst him down, it just died right then and there. And I killed Orin in a single round which should never happen with one of the games major endgame bosses.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Repeatedly said the combat is fantastic but never gets a chance to shine because encounters gets facerolled by the low difficulty setting.
Everyone will agree with you on this. We are just trying to explain why this is so.

AwesomeButton

Patron
One of the few real design flaws of the game. I had that problem initially as well, as I was resting as little as possible and was confused why my companions had little to nothing to say. Not sure there's a way to fix this though, as companion progression is tied to resting.
I will say that, unfortunately, if you want to experience the game the way it's probably meant to be played, you need to rest spam, at least a little. Rest until you stop getting cutscenes. Space them out, if you want. But it needs to be done.

My first playthrough I didn't and I sadly missed a lot of content, especially with Astarion, who is supposed to slow build into revealing what he is, but instead just got caught biting my character one night. If you're playing Dark Urge, you might miss even more.

There is some help with this the devs put in, which is a forced rest at the end of the chapter in case you rush through Act 1. It adds Withers automatically, and Raphael shows you there too.
I'm not getting cutscenes while resting with with just a few long rests, but I have fewer companion NPCs than most people, because I murdered Karlach and Astarion.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Repeatedly said the combat is fantastic but never gets a chance to shine because encounters gets facerolled by the low difficulty setting.
Everyone will agree with you on this. We are just trying to explain why this is so.
Who the fuck are 'we'. It's just you being a retard. You know when I kept reading about the screeching of Larian fags even I thought this was an exaggeration. But after your display here I'm in full agreement. I have never seen such wild retardation to defend shit designs in this game.

AwesomeButton

Patron
i will get a concentration-free bless-on-heal ring 1 hour into the game
On a sidenote, I had this ring and I swear I've just lost it somewhere :lol: Likely sold it by accident. I'm just not lucky with those easy win buttons.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Speak for yourself. First off Siege of Dragonspear is way more SJW and woke because in the game actually npc do virtue signaling to you something it never happens in bg3 they may had put body 1 and 2 and that pronoum stuff but that's wotc more than larian. Unless see a lesbian couple in the game makes you totally get out of your nuts lol.
From what I remember, isn't that only one-off character that has like 5 lines? Disappointing, yes, but comparable to BG3 that isn't much.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Who the fuck are 'we'. It's just you being a retard. You know when I kept reading about the screeching of Larian fags even I thought this was an exaggeration. But after your display here I'm in full agreement. I have never seen such wild retardation to defend shit designs in this game.
I'm not a larian fag, and I thoroughly dislike D:OS/2. Never played their other games.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm not a larian fag, and I thoroughly dislike D:OS/2. Never played their other games.
Even Mebrilia is less of a shill than you are.

Pizzashoes

Scholar

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
No, the difficulty is too badly designed in BG3 for any of those things to actually shine in combat. What's the point of positioning if basic strategies like "i cast fireball" or "i will haste my fighter to autoattack the boss", or "i will get a concentration-free bless-on-heal ring 1 hour into the game" will just delete enemies? The combat doesn't last long enough for any of this shit to matter. That's the whole problem. It doesn't have to be excel autism mode. Just elevated above 'braindead'.
Cheese items were a feature of BG1&2. People here were even complaining that Larian wasn't putting enough of them in, saying that the Dark Urge cloak wasn't as useful as the Sandthief ring. (Meanwhile, there's a much more OP ring of invisibility in the game you can get for free.)

Cheese items are not mandatory and never have been. Just like taking a full party wasn't mandatory in BG1&2.

Stop taking every advantage you can and then complaining the game is too easy. No, it's not a real strategy game. But I don't think it's meant to be.

I agree that the items are OP, and they could have done with less of them, but you need to take at least some responsibility for challenging yourself and not use them if they're really that game breaking.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Oh, now he mad:

1692615336315.png

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah, you can have every other character in the game, including non-party NPCs and a freaking mind flayer, be some kind of a pervert, advertise that fact to the media, advertise the trannies and drag queens doing voice acting, advertise the genital selection menu on character creation, advertise that one homosexual met their latest of many sex partners while doing voice acting for the game, all for a game where the devs openly scolded players for picking a white male character on average...
Weird, I haven't encountered any such characters in my two playthroughs, except for the ones literally working in a brothel. I don't typically mald when I see purple haired character in my game and then google if they were voiced by a tranny, but it's good to know it keeps you up at night. I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about in many of those "examples", i.e. some mind flayer openly advertising their sexuality? Huh? I'm also not aware of any of the in-game characters talking to the media and journalists. Frankly, you sound like a fucking degenerate who spends way too much time on social media following people he doesn't like, only so he can get upset for the things they do. Seek some fucking help.

Some VA found a partner doing voice acting for a game? Cool. Good for them. I also don't fucking care. And neither should you. The fact you're so engaged in all of this faggotry shows how deeply you want to be a part of that community, because otherwise you would just hit the fucking ignore button and move on with your life instead of desperately pointing out and talking about every single tweet or action they make. You sound like a freakishly obsessed autist. You look for woke shit everywhere because you find it so abhorrent, yet you dedicate a majority of your time to actively looking for it. You know who else actively looks for tranny shit? Trannies.

Once you actually go into a game like BG3 without a raging hateboner for woke shit, you'll quickly realize that the presentation of many of these situations are very neutral, even slightly slanted towards the "evil" side. This is a game where you can help goblins butcher a bunch of thiefling kids holding their teddybears, and then one goblin says "i almost feel bad for them", you can push his shit in for being so soft. The extremes in this game go both ways. For every "woke" example you bring, someone else could list one that goes in the complete opposite direction. Punt a squirrel into a tree? Fair. Give some refugee kids a bunch of stuffed bears with explosive devices in them? Go ahead.

I mean, just what is your line for "woke" here?
I don't have a line for woke, because I'm not some obsessed autist who makes it their life's mission to point out every liberal talking point in media. I consume media to have fun, and I tend to enjoy video games that give me a chance to explore different character development paths. BG3 lets me do that, and it does so without judging me for making sociopathic or "evil" choices, in fact many companions cheer me on for it. I'm not threatened by the existence of gay characters, because I'm comfortable with my heterosexual preferences. Says a lot about you that you care this deeply about this shit.

Why do you want to die on this hill anyway?
Because in my opinion, calling BG3 a game that pushes a woke agenda is straightup misinformation, and when people ask whether or not it's a game they might enjoy, I want them to make as informed a decision as possible. A tranny voicing a character, doesn't make that character woke trash. The writing does. Writers having sextuplet gay orgies in the office doesn't make their writing gay either. Adding gay content doesn't make the game gay, if it has plenty of alternative options, and the same applies to other societal issues they present in the game, like the thiefling refugee crisis, svirfneblin workers rights, duergar/drow discrimination based on race or other such topics. They're a staple of all fantasy games, and as long as you have the CHOICE to either perpetuate the status quo set by the setting itself, or fight against it, it's not pushing a woke agenda, it's just an RPG. And believe it or not, but I like my RPGs to be RPGs.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not getting cutscenes while resting with with just a few long rests, but I have fewer companion NPCs than most people, because I murdered Karlach and Astarion.
Well, I think a lot of them are tied to their Acts, and some to in-game events, like meeting certain NPCs.

I think that's why I didn't get Astarion's build-up scenes. Because I *think* I might have visited the goblin fort early or something, making the game think I was too far along and needed his lore dump.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Weird, I haven't encountered any such characters
Or maybe you just pretended they didn't exist, since that seems to be the method of dealing with these things you advocate.

And did you actually come up with some kind of cope strawman for each one of the examples I gave? :lol:

All of your responses are some variant of "you must secretly want to fuck spiders". Pro tip: if you have to strawman over and over, your argument isn't very solid.
I don't have a line for woke
Oh, so you have no criteria for what is woke, yet you deny that the game is woke.
Because in my opinion, calling BG3 a game that pushes a woke agenda is straightup misinformation
How would you know, nigger? You just said you don't even know what 'woke' is? :lol:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Oh, so you have no criteria for what is woke, yet you deny that the game is woke.
I have criteria for what I consider to be "woke", I don't have a pre-defined line for when things get "too woke". Your reading comprehension is truly astounding. Someone asked for opinions on this issue, I gave mine, you gave yours. Let's leave it at that, since I have no interest anymore in continuing to argue with cognitive vacancy experts such as yourself, when you refuse to actually point out specific examples, despite me regularly bringing up very anti-woke examples to showcase that there is no one-sided presentation of any given agenda, but simply a presentation of multiple paths and choices the player can take -- something that makes any RPG a better game, as long as it's done without judging the player for going down one path or another.

To put it simply: Woke agendas in games don't bother me, if they are not the only agenda being presented. If a game has a woke and anti-woke pathway, and I get to choose which one I take, the existence of the woke agenda isn't a problem. When the woke agenda is the ONLY agenda being presented, or when the player is heavily incentivized for following it/disincentivized to pick any other path, is when things become problematic. In my mind, BG3 doesn't do that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom