Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I really hate this game. I guess the joke is on me for thinking this would be different from the previous Divinity games (which I also hated).

This has all the hallmarks from Larian's previous games that I personally hated:
- overly cartoony graphical style
- terrible writing for the most part
- bad puns and humour all over (yes, I prefer more grimdark settings/stories)
- annoying inventory system, with crates all over the place with useless loot
- terrible camera, especially in places with a lot of vertical spaces
- terrible companions

It certainly does not feel like a proper sequel to BG1/BG2 (which I played back at release). It feels like a Divinity game. But maybe I'm just getting old and bitter and don't enjoy how they make RPGs these days...

Heh, "it's too colourful" argument again.

Look, even colourful things are diverse. Larian is from Belgium, and francophonic bandes dessinées (comics) have this same silly/flashy/macabresque feeling.

9782205066968-couv.jpg

81RrLpP-O5L.jpg

PlancheA_7039.jpg

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was also going to argue that goblin design makes them look too humanized, but then...
The goblins' accents and design remind me of British chavs, and as anyone who has ever spent time in the UK will attest that actually makes them easier and more satisfying to kill than if they looked more animalistic
i had to google "british chavs" and the first result were some goblin looking females:

82459650.jpg

so seems legit
If goblins looked like this I wouldn't side with them.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
GameStar.de just released the final review, which is only publically accessible until later today.

They gave it a score of 95% (with a current deduction of 5 points due to heavy bugs in Act3). That's the highest score *any* game ever got in the magazine's 25 year existence.

Bravo Swen !
Based.

Like I said I made the best CRPG ever, a couple of codex incels crying on a fringe forum about "muh woke!" and "the end of muh western civlization!" won't change that fact.

To the haters (and there are many on here):

COPE, SEETHE and DILATE

Lemming42

Arcane
Back at Act 3 in my second playthrough after aborting the first and uuugh I can't be bothered. It really does run out of steam pretty hard towards the end, and I don't care about the main plot at all so I don't even have that as a motivattion to continue.

First act is absolutely outstanding, second is decent, but after that it's just so hard to give a shit. I hate my character too, she's a fucking gnome.

Also, I know other people have confirmed it, but: yeah, the reactivity/C&C is almost entirely illusory in this game. To make the comparison yet again, we're pretty much talking Dragon Age tier.

I think Larian have made one of the best RPGs in the past decade... and it's called Baldur's Gate 3 Act 1.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Replaying the game on the evil Dark Urge route, so I can fully appreciate it. Lost my mind when I find out that if you have Sharpshooter, you can destroy the cave-in at Nere's with a hand crossbow.

Lemming42

Arcane
No way, getting past insanely dramatic shit in laughably mundane ways is part of the game's appeal. Casting Sleep on the guy guarding Nightsong and then stamping on his balls to KO him before he can wake up, letting you skip the whole boss fight, was one of my favourite parts of the game.

Same for getting past the fat devil guy by luring his automatons out to the chasm with Minor Illusion then just having Karlach run around shoving them all into the abyss.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's funny in retrospect, how basement connoiseurs screeched that there is no reactivity to being Drow in the Emerald Grove area, but when you go into Grymforge as a Human, everyone comments on your race.

Gradenmayer

Learned
It's funny in retrospect, how basement connoiseurs screeched that there is no reactivity to being Drow in the Emerald Grove area, but when you go into Grymforge as a Human, everyone comments on your race.
There is almost no reactivity for halflings outside of jokes about being short. Drow got a lot, comparatively.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I really don't know how I feel about Tavern Brawler. I don't think a single feat should dictate how a Monk allocates his stats.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Back at Act 3 in my second playthrough after aborting the first and uuugh I can't be bothered. It really does run out of steam pretty hard towards the end, and I don't care about the main plot at all so I don't even have that as a motivattion to continue.

First act is absolutely outstanding, second is decent, but after that it's just so hard to give a shit. I hate my character too, she's a fucking gnome.

Also, I know other people have confirmed it, but: yeah, the reactivity/C&C is almost entirely illusory in this game. To make the comparison yet again, we're pretty much talking Dragon Age tier.

I think Larian have made one of the best RPGs in the past decade... and it's called Baldur's Gate 3 Act 1.

Act 2 is better than 1 tho.

Shadow lands > Larian Island

Reinhardt

Arcane
I really hate this game. I guess the joke is on me for thinking this would be different from the previous Divinity games (which I also hated).

This has all the hallmarks from Larian's previous games that I personally hated:
- terrible companions

It certainly does not feel like a proper sequel to BG1/BG2 (which I played back at release). It feels like a Divinity game. But maybe I'm just getting old and bitter and don't enjoy how they make RPGs these days...

Look, even colourful things are diverse. Larian is from Belgium, and francophonic bandes dessinées (comics) have this same silly/flashy/macabresque feeling.

9782205066968-couv.jpg

81RrLpP-O5L.jpg

PlancheA_7039.jpg
ok, i'm kinda interested. what is it and can you read it in human language?

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

- terrible companions

9782205066968-couv.jpg

81RrLpP-O5L.jpg

PlancheA_7039.jpg
ok, i'm kinda interested. what is it and can you read it in human language?
In polish it was called Pelissa, but the original title is something like "The Quest for the Timebird" by Serge Le Tendre. Egmont used to translate them around Europe, but I don't know if it was translated to english.

Pelissa-2.-Swiatynia-Zapomnienia.-PRACA-ZBIOROWA.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom