Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
I actually had to hire a cleric henchman because of things that happened
between Shadowheart and Lazael
and holy shit, who desgined those henchmen? Almost EVERY ONE of them looks like a dumpster fire, 100% created by a internee tranny reject. I didn't even know that you can't create a character yourself, but had to choose one from a list of pregenerated ones. Seriously, what the heck is up with that? And ofc, the henchman have no story or other interesting story tidbits. Just soulless entities that take orders. If these henchmen have absolutely nothing to say, what is even the reason of not letting us create henchmen of our own? Absolute garbage design.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tactician is 80 a pop. I bypass a lot of combat (and fight half-cocked a good bit out of habit), but if I were murderhoboing it would be an upper bound on that.
I know, that's what I'm playing. It doesn't change a thing.

Food becomes a major factor in act 2.

The paltry amount vendors have quickly runs out, and new stuff is exhorbitantly priced. By the end of act 2 where you have like 4 or 5 boss fights in a row, you get stuck and can't progress without scouring the map for every sausage, apple etc.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After reading through this thread, I'm actually excited to try it. The shit writing is what worries me the most, especially the hypersexual stuff. I remember within twenty minutes of playing D:OS2, multiple characters were little rubbing up on me and trying to suck my dick, and I had no option to punch anyone in the face. If it's the same in BG3, that'll definitely be triggering. I have a high tolerance for the woke stuff though, especially since I can just draft an all female party. Between BG3 and D:OS2, which game has the superior writing if you were forced to pick?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Between BG3 and D:OS2, which game has the superior writing if you were forced to pick?
BG3 since it's less irreverent and more consistent. It's a lot like an anime where all the characters shout their feelings and character development is marked by dying their hair or growing horns or whatever, but at least these characters are sincere.

Mojobeard

Augur
There's a ring on a strange ox in the druid grove which gives you +1d4 on all checks while shapeshifted, it works with the Mask of the Shapeshifter, so unconditionally all the time. Not bad.
Also available in Act 2 at least.
Yeah it's great. Use frog's Astral Knowledge, turn her into a hot elf, win all checks.

janior

Arcane
Patron
underdark is awesme
Capture.png

84h in (the rest was beta) and I still haven't even reached Baldur's Gate. Those of you who completed the game in less than 100h must have skipped a ton of content.
or you just explore every pixel on the map like me, im 25 hours in and only just hit the second part of the underdark(the temple)
man this game is really awesome, I can't even remember when was the last time I truly enjoyed a new game

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
underdark is awesme
Capture.png

84h in (the rest was beta) and I still haven't even reached Baldur's Gate. Those of you who completed the game in less than 100h must have skipped a ton of content.
or you just explore every pixel on the map like me, im 25 hours in and only just hit the second part of the underdark(the temple)
man this game is really awesome, I can't even remember when was the last time I truly enjoyed a new game
I played for 30 hours and just finished exploring Act 1

Vic

Savant
horny companions are a valid criticism even from the gays so I hope they will tone it down or allow to select if character is gay or straight in character creation

That’s one of BG3’s biggest flaws.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Aaaaaaaand Halsin just tried to bum me too :lol:

What the fuck? Shadow wen?
I tried to get with her at the camp party and she said I had to do 'some legwork' before she did any 'hipwork' and then suggested I go fuck Gale instead, who I hadn't even talked to that night. I'm starting to think there's some sort of hidden gay saving throws that I'm constantly failing (maybe being an elf gives disadvantage)

Vic

Savant

I tried to get with her at the camp party and she said I had to do 'some legwork' before she did any 'hipwork' and then suggested I go fuck Gale instead, who I hadn't even talked to that night. I'm starting to think there's some sort of hidden gay saving throws that I'm constantly failing
they are not hidden :lol:

I’ve had no uncomfortable interactions so far but I’ve seen the dialogue options that would lead to them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
All this kvetching about how great the game is and how people who complain about the wokeness or reddit vibe in the writing are just butthurt losers are missing the fact the game would have been even greater without that stuff.

It's one thing to believe the good outweights the bad, it's another to pretend the bad doesn't actually marr the experience.

I mean yes yes we get it, interactivity, tons of quests with multiple outcomes, choice and consequences, then you go through the game and there's no actual depth to anything. I'm reading the lore books and other stuff like that and it's all written from the perspective of someone who was clearly, far, FAR too oversocialized.

There's no edge to anything, no bite, and nothing ever waxes poetically. It's a fantasy for people who spend all day sipping their expensive lattes and blogging about their cats. It's like i'm playing Harry Potter or something, doesn't actually feel like DnD at all, even taking into account it's Forgotten Realms.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron

I tried to get with her at the camp party and she said I had to do 'some legwork' before she did any 'hipwork' and then suggested I go fuck Gale instead, who I hadn't even talked to that night. I'm starting to think there's some sort of hidden gay saving throws that I'm constantly failing

I’ve had no uncomfortable interactions so far but I’ve seen the dialogue options that would lead to them.
That's true for most of the characters but I seem to have gotten Gale interested twice in a row even though I was very careful not to select the hand holding or kissing in the weave. I'm thinking that maybe if you progress to the final weave screen where you choose between kiss/handhold/head on pike/beheading/close the scene it doesn't end the romance path if you choose the non violent, non romantic option. It's not a big deal to me, it's more funny than anything, but since other people are reporting similar issues I think there is a bug or an oversight that's causing it.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All this kvetching about how great the game is and how people who complain about the wokeness or reddit vibe in the writing are just butthurt losers are missing the fact the game would have been even greater without that stuff.
Most of us don't like it, I guess, but most of us also doesn't need to repeat it every post.
It's one thing to believe the good outweights the bad, it's another to pretend the bad doesn't actually marr the experience.
Who said the game is perfect?
I mean yes yes we get it, interactivity, tons of quests with multiple outcomes, choice and consequences, then you go through the game and there's no actual depth to anything. I'm reading the lore books and other stuff like that and it's all written from the perspective of someone who was clearly, far, FAR too oversocialized.

There's no edge to anything, no bite, and nothing ever waxes poetically. It's a fantasy for people who spend all day sipping their expensive lattes and blogging about their cats. It's like i'm playing Harry Potter or something, doesn't actually feel like DnD at all, even taking into account it's Forgotten Realms.
You've never heard of other Larian games, especially recent ones?

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Heard in the goblin's camp : "give the worgs some booze, they like it". Very immersive, sounds like something you'd hear in a bar in the Belgian's countryside.

ColonelMace

Novice
missing the fact the game would have been even greater without that stuff.
Can't talk for anyone but myself here but I'm not missing this fact, I'm simply disregarding it as pointless.
Game would also be better with a more robust encounter design and actually branching storylines.

Children trouble themselves with "what ifs".

Game is as it is. And it is good as it is.
Simple as.

How to improve upon is a question for designers interested in its scrutiny and Larian themselves interested in their future works.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

First Larian game i've played since i tried a demo of Divine Divinity but never played the game back in 2002.

I had absolutely no idea what i was getting into.

My hunch is that you have people like Swen or whoever else is in there that harks back from the start who have an old school mentality and are pushing for certain features and then you have the rest of the hirees who are young modern developers with all the baggage that comes with that.

Jaunty

Literate
Sorcerer not getting Aberrant Mind really rustles my jimmies. The one class that specifically has getting a tadpole as one of its potential origins, and it's not in the game that's all about getting molested by Illithids.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

First Larian game i've played since i tried a demo of Divine Divinity but never played the game back in 2002.

I had absolutely no idea what i was getting into.

My hunch is that you have people like Swen or whoever else is in there that harks back from the start who have an old school mentality and are pushing for certain features and then you have the rest of the hirees who are young modern developers with all the baggage that comes with that.
Alright, then you are excused. This game is basically DOS but with somewhat better writing and setting. Combat, gameplay and overall approach are very similar, so those who played DOS knew more or less what to expect at least when it comes to gameplay

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I would say it proudly and loudly, act 1 is a solid 9/10 to 10/10.

It's great on all levels: exploration, enemy variety, dialogues, quests, reactivity, C&C.

It's EXCELLENT.
way too much loot. How realistic is it that there is food in chests everywhere and you’re like a hobo stuffing it all in your backpack.
We're talking Larian here.
A dev that gave us item scaling in D:OS2.
Which resulted in such wonders as a woolen shirt being a better armor than the Legendary Breastplate of Myhical Gigahitler Warlock.

Baby steps. They are learning.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

They ARE hidden.

Literally never spoke to Halsin, only had him in the party for a short while at the end of act 2.

Get to the city, all of a sudden he has the ol' ! above his head in camp. Talk to him and he tells about some experience. Take the least gay response (something like "oh that's neat") and he starts very obviously hitting on you.

It's like someone said before, whoever wrote these characters obviously knows nothing about how real males act.

Herumor

Scholar
I complained about him not acting like a mindflayer but clearly I misread his character. Considering this, and considering that he made Duke Stelmane his thrall, he really does act like a proper mindflayer, albeit a suspiciously horny one. (Same with every character Larian has ever written, I guess). I wish we could have more options to be suspicious of him and more conflict with him. Seems like a missed opportunity to bring a lot of interesting moments into the game considering how little proper interaction there is with The Emperor and the Orpheus situation.
Not sure about that part about Duke Stelmane. I thought at first he made her a thrall as well, but then I saw that she was already a previously established character in FR and she had one encounter in her past against a Mind Flayer, which left her barely functioning and only when the Emperor was by her side did she get better because he could use his psionics to let her function normally. Or something. I'm not sure how Larian went about Stelmane's past in terms of what's in the game or not, might be worth throwing a question their way because it would skew Emperor's motivations one way or another.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The connection to the original games is boilerplate
Fake news. There are multiple returning characters - Jaehira, Minsc, Viconia, Sarevok, and probably more. There are also Bhaalspawn.

Boilerplate would just be meeting Minsc in a bar somewhere, having him talk about his hamster and send you off on a quest.
Man you are bad at this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom