Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Elthosian

Arcane
The problem with torment is that gameplay is trash, one minute animation for spell, hehe

Gameplay != combat.

Combat was indeed trash but exploring around was a thrill and very rewarding. I'd give its *gameplay* a 7.5/10 when accounting for the mediocre combat, which still wasn't half as bad as Arcanum's.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Story of a dumb gnome, a tragic tale in three chapters.
The thing that sucks is that even if you do that and pick up the barrel, it removes the item from your inventory.

If you don't pick it up, or talk her down, she will run away faster than you can kill her.

Best option is just to enter combat before speaking with her and one-shot her.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Meanwhile you can make TNO just go an hit things in melee and it doesn't matter if he takes damage because he'll just regenerate.

Shaki

Arbiter
I treat Solasta as a toolset to create your own campaigns, shitty vanilla campaign is a proof of concept, advertisement for the toolset, nothing else.
It's lackluster even in that department. The selections are far too limited, and if I'm going to waste that kind of time, I better be able to sell the game - which obviously I wouldn't.

This was the same argument people used to make for NWN campaigns. "It's ok that the OC is trash! It's just a toolset!"

Which means that mods are the real main attraction, since 99% of people don't have time for that shit.

So, you're basically paying a company to outsource free content to a bunch of random 15-year-olds online.

I'm sure mod campaigns seemed fantastic to you when you were 12, but to me they seemed like autistic drivel.

I won't argue, because as I said I was filtered by NWN vanilla myself. I saw Codexers I consider prestigious, treating Swordflight and shit like a second coming of Jesus, so I assumed some NWN fan modules must be good.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Torment didn't have bad combat, it had boring encounter design. The spells, the animations (critical strikes in particular was very satisfying), combat mechanics like backstab, it was all done very well. What sucked is that you had no cool enemies to use any of that stuff on.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Saving throws.
Not sure if you're saying that's why it's so low, or if you're saying it can go lower.

Purple flame, nuclear space comet arrow, dragon breath - all turn into the equivalent of three or four hits with an axe, if that.

Shaki

Arbiter
Story of a dumb gnome, a tragic tale in three chapters.
0pKgWrs.jpg

rxMrI1y.jpg

suBqBb4.jpg

Brought to you by,
nKotYI3.jpg

I just told the nigger she can go and take the explosives with her to calm her down, then shot her in the back as she was running away.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Torment didn't have bad combat, it had boring encounter design. The spells, the animations (critical strikes in particular was very satisfying), combat mechanics like backstab, it was all done very well. What sucked is that you had no cool enemies to use any of that stuff on.
Yeah, it was mostly trash mobs. Some areas you could just sneak or run through and be fine not fighting anything.

Shaki

Arbiter
It also had very shitty itemization

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I won't argue, because as I said I was filtered by NWN vanilla myself. I saw Codexers I consider prestigious, treating Swordflight and shit like a second coming of Jesus, so I assumed some NWN fan modules must be good.
It was probably just desperation on their part. Back before the indie boom, we had at least a decade of zero RPG content. Mods for NWN, or else mods for the latest Todd Howard turd, were a lot of what people played or talked about.

Meanwhile, I just played BG, Arcanum and other older games over and over, and bought all the Spiderweb Software games I could get my hands on.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I treat Solasta as a toolset to create your own campaigns, shitty vanilla campaign is a proof of concept, advertisement for the toolset, nothing else.
It's lackluster even in that department. The selections are far too limited, and if I'm going to waste that kind of time, I better be able to sell the game - which obviously I wouldn't.

This was the same argument people used to make for NWN campaigns. "It's ok that the OC is trash! It's just a toolset!"

Which means that mods are the real main attraction, since 99% of people don't have time for that shit.

So, you're basically paying a company to outsource free content to a bunch of random 15-year-olds online.

I'm sure mod campaigns seemed fantastic to you when you were 12, but to me they seemed like autistic drivel.

Swordflight is awesome, but it's one of very very few mods that is actually good as a game unto itself, and it's still dragged down by the NWN engine.
It's basically true that 99.999% of mod campaigns are "autistic drivel."

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
truly desperate times
The first, or even second, releases of Vogel's games were decent enough. Geneforge 1 & 2 were a great games that mainly lacked in graphics.

It's the decades of rehashed content that give him such a bad rep. Avernum was already a remake, and then got remade at least once or twice itself. Geneforge technically had new games, but was pretty stale after 2 or 3 - again and again with the same story, same factions etc.

But if they're still playable, the Exile/Avernum or early original Geneforge series are still games I would reccomend.

Elthosian

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom