Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

SmartCheetah

Arcane
You can solo or you can take some of those voiceless companions with you. Lae'zel actually works pretty good with my Dark Urge (at least, so far) - I've yet to see Karlach and few other ones. We'll see after I'll gather(or slaughter) the whole party.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So is the game just a dos2 with larger scale?

Is the combat actually fun? Is the itemisation not complete garbage? Is the story not so 'quirky' as to be intolerable this time?

Shaki

Arbiter
Gameplay is so-so, AI seems very stupid
You play on Tactician?
I play on Tactician, in the first fight with goblins, both enemy and friendly AI insisted on running straight through my grease pool, stunlocking themselves for multiple turns. Half of combatants in the fight did nothing else but run through my grease and fall prone, no attempts to avoid the pool, no attempts to jump out of it, just run and fall, run and fall. Also I noticed they will legit kill themselves on disengagement attacks for 0 reason, it's like they completely ignore being threatened.

Yeah, AI doesn't look very smart so far.

Renfri

Cipher
Game is DOS3 with better combat, more coherent setting and alot more hornier companions.

After killing druids and refugees, we are celebrating in camp and casually 3 different companions want to bang me :|

Incendax

Augur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy4NpAqUKJI

I'll leave this here... Saw this one video of this guy back in 2021 and it still baffles me beyond belief some people can take him seriously.

Some absolute gem of opinions of his from the video:

- Outer worlds is a great game and better than any BG because... "BG old, OW new".
- BG1 is better than BG2.
- Games are shit if they have no VO.
- Ranks some retarded shark game before RPGs and considers said game to be an RPG.
- Icewind Dale is not that great because it has no story.
- Dragon Age 2, likes it
- All the above he played in that one year and out of all of them, he ranks D:OS 2 as the top game of that year.

Yeah... clearly a case in point of another great YT reviewer worth putting even a fraction of trust in.
Mortismal is clearly a storyfag and (selfadmitted) edgelord. It's why he can tolerate Dragon Age 2 and he spent half of his 19 minute "BG3 Paladin class video" whining about being unable to start as an "evil/fallen" Paladin.
How can you be a storyfag and tolerate Dragon Age 2? I mean it makes you just a fag, not storyfag.
He isn't. Even more than many other reviewers he will suck the dick of every game, regardless of quality. Occasionally there is some mild criticism baked into the review somewhere but it's layered under so much corporate shill speak it's barely noticeable.

His gimmick of 100% games is meaningless because he refuses to critique them.
Nah, he bakes in a lot of criticism. It's not really scathing or anything, like you say, but it's there.

My vote for scathing is Zero Punctuation, where everything is on a scale of -10 to -1. :D

PapaPetro

Jagged Alliance 3
FUlMrYZ.png

Didn't know it came out.
I guess Christmas came early this summer?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You play on Tactician?
I play on Tactician, in the first fight with goblins, both enemy and friendly AI insisted on running straight through my grease pool, stunlocking themselves for multiple turns. Half of combatants in the fight did nothing else but run through my grease and fall prone, no attempts to avoid the pool, no attempts to jump out of it, just run and fall, run and fall. Also I noticed they will legit kill themselves on disengagement attacks for 0 reason, it's like they completely ignore being threatened.

Ah, that's good to know, I wasn't sure if I should start on Balanced or Tactician, but with this, I lean more towards Tactician

turkishronin

Arcane
Their results are as disastrous as they are hilarious. Elves, gnomes, and halflings have sub-races but humans don't, because race is a social construct that has no basis in biology
What does this say about Elder Scrolls having FOUR subraces for humans, including one reserved for Africans that has bonus for physical abilities? HMMMMMmmmmMmm

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
You play on Tactician?

Goblins are dumb so it's accurate AI

PapaPetro

Their results are as disastrous as they are hilarious. Elves, gnomes, and halflings have sub-races but humans don't, because race is a social construct that has no basis in biology
What does this say about Elder Scrolls having FOUR subraces for humans, including one reserved for Africans that has bonus for physical abilities? HMMMMMmmmmMmm
That Radical Egalitarianism destroys all distinction/fun in a group by making everything safe, confusing and bland?

Shaki

Arbiter
Ah, that's good to know, I wasn't sure if I should start on Balanced or Tactician, but with this, I lean more towards Tactician

One "smart" thing I noticed so far, is that they seem to actually target low def/hp characters, rather than just attacking whatever's closest to them. Full health Shadowheart and Gale were mostly ignored being right in front of the enemies, while every Goblin archer was shooting at my 3 hp sorcerer half a screen away. Idk if it's consistent or just a lucky coincidence tho, need to play more fights to be sure.

Goblins are dumb so it's accurate AI
One of the people permastunning himself on my grease was Wyll, but I guess that's also accurate.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
lot of retards think they can tell the difference between 60 and 100 frams per second..you cant fat ass, you also wear glasses fatso
More that a lot of people don't really know about frame times, and it skews their perception (literally) of framerates.

That's just how womben sound in b*lgium.
NL too. Would be funny to see sheltered nerds lose it over their vocal pitches.

Darth Valer

Literate
I'd be cool if the AI scaled based on the Int/Wis stats.
So smarter/wiser NPCs would act accordingly relative to dumber/foolish ones.
I Remember a Community Update in EA where Larian said it would work this way, but I haven't played enough to judge if it actually works this way. Beasts for sure should be more stupid than humanoids.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And to your question, I've been able to find NPCs just with other NPCs' directions. The maps aren't that difficult to navigate. It's the Larian corridors, i.e. obstacles, some of which climbable, with the paths circumventing them. I don't remember NPCs giving specific directions like "go left at the intersection" like in Underrail, but such directions aren't really needed.
agris , I was editing my post with that :)
Thanks. To be clear, I’m not worried about maps being difficult to navigate, rather that quests were never designed to be played without markers. Think FNV without the quest compass, the quests weren’t designed to be completed that way as a lot of time not enough info is given.

Sounds like that isn’t the case here. Can quest markers on the map be disabled?
No option to disable them, sadly but should be easy enough to mod. There is a relevant mod about the UI here. Could ask the guy kindly to do it: https://github.com/TheRealDjmr/BG3ImprovedUI

Alternatively, I see there is a utility for unpacking the .pak files. It shouldn't be too difficult to find the icon for the quest marker and replace it with a transparent image.

PapaPetro

One "smart" thing I noticed so far, is that they seem to actually target low def/hp characters, rather than just attacking whatever's closest to them. Full health Shadowheart and Gale were mostly ignored being right in front of the enemies, while every Goblin archer was shooting at my 3 hp sorcerer half a screen away. Idk if it's consistent or just a lucky coincidence tho, need to play more fights to be sure.
They need to add some floating text or voice over lines or something to establish when the AI intentionally does cool shit like this.
Like where you hear a goblin yell out "Target the wounded one!" and the smarter players gets telegraphed that the enemies intend to be spending their next turns squeezing the remaining HP out of your squishy toon (and for you to respond accordingly with that information).

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Really dont recommend people playing Dark Urge as a first one. You will end up loosing a lot of content and interactions because the motherfucker will kill npc's without any chance to avoid it by the player character.

Going to reroll as a custom character, and play dark urge in a second playthrough.
Damn, guess I'll have to restart once again :negative: wish there was at least a way to export and import characters, it sucks creating a new thing five times in a row.
On a second thought, I won't restart again. Fucking things up will probably be more interesting and fitting my Drow, gonna side with goblins on my first playthrough and in general go with the baddie type, usually games are way more interesting if you're playing an anti-hero.

Lucas

Novice
Just your daily reminder of what the game needs the most right now:

SHADOWHEART HAIR MOD UPDATED FOR RELEASE.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The only thing missing is Kirill Pokrovsky,. His performance on Divine divinity and Divinity 2 was very good. I miss the guy.

Damn that's a blast from the past. Haven't played it in nearly two decades but that music stuck with you.

Wonder how many of that original team are still around. (And how many got attrited by the misery of making educational games in the mid-2000s.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom