Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Shrimp

Arbiter
  • Auntie Ethel. Easily the most memorable villain in the game. Despite only showing up in two side quests, Auntie Ethel is charismatic, funny, you can have a ton of different interactions and outcomes with her, and the decisions you make regarding her in act 1 carry over to act 3. A show-stealer.
Also one of the highlights for me. The trip into her lair, the choices and options you have available and dealing with the mother after you saved her (IF you saved her) were fantastic.
Just goes to show that you don't need high stakes and an over-the-top premise to make for a compelling story and memorable experience.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
All of us are John Baldursgate now
For some reason Larian refuses to make companions that have their own story that runs parallel to the main story, like most other RPGs out there. One of main issues with DOS2 were the fact that everyone was their protagonist, so everyone needed to have the same ending point.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For some reason Larian refuses to make companions that have their own story that runs parallel to the main story, like most other RPGs out there. One of main issues with DOS2 were the fact that everyone was their protagonist, so everyone needed to have the same ending point.

Morrigan, Alistair, Leliana and even fucking Wynne felt way more involved in what was going on and like they had a much stronger presence in the story than anyone in BG3.

these two posts are about the same game in the same thread on the same page

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On Rafael.

When you kill him, what happens to him considering he is the devil kind? In a quest by him, you get told that when you kill his prey the guy just gets sent back to hell, does that mean the same for Rafael? Will he just be back in his palace a week later? Or did we truly kill him?

Longes

Augur
On Rafael.

When you kill him, what happens to him considering he is the devil kind? In a quest by him, you get told that when you kill his prey the guy just gets sent back to hell, does that mean the same for Rafael? Will he just be back in his palace a week later? Or did we truly kill him?
Unless they changed it, killing someone in their home plane (i.e. killing Raphael in Hell) kills them for good.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
It's a good game, but it can't hold a candle to IE titles or Kingmaker imo. Even Wrathfinder, with all its cringe, is a far more enjoyable and challenging experience than this. It might be that I'm more inclined to RTwP combat, but there's always something off-putting about Larian games, it's hard to describe. It's a well-made RPG, don't get me wrong, just not one I'll be coming back to for years to come.
Owlcucks need to know their place

afbeelding.png
Kingmaker on release and Kingmaker today are very different games.
Still trash. Owlcuck games haven't made any good game to date. All trash.

As is projected in the reviews from users too.

They will never be as good as Larian.

Cope, seethe and dilate Owlcucks
My dude is the most hardcore roleplayer in this forum. He's so in the Schizo character that's almost impossible to tell if it's fake or not.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I think I'm like level 10 on my old save and I couldn't name any notable mechanical changes or tactical options that opened up in the past 4~ levels (here's where people can, probably correctly, tell me I'm shit at picking good level up options).
For a Lore Bard, unlocking the 2 secret spells you can pick from any class is definitely big. For anyone going illithid, you get a massive power boost around level 8-10 or so, like the ability to fly or shapeshift into a Displacer Beast.
You also resolve the first crossroads on the personal quests of Shadowheart and Lae'zel, both of which result in very, very powerful weapon drops from their respective fights.

As for the start of Act III, the shapeshifter menace you spot very early on is interesting, and depending on how you approach the gates, you might be surprised by a jail visit. So there is stuff to do.

Lemming42

Arcane
these two posts are about the same game in the same thread on the same page
I think me and Dishonoredbr are saying a pretty similar thing - companions in DA had their own clear agendas for joining you and had stories that usually ended up intertwining with and enhancing the main plot in some way, while in BG3 the only reason for you all to be together is that most of you have brain slugs, which could well be partly a side effect of the "origin" system Larian keep using.

"You'll all have to team up because you're searching for a cure together" works well as a reason to get everyone together, but then the slugs take such a backseat and everyone just follows you around as you piss days and weeks away on trivial stuff that it becomes increasingly difficult to figure out why these people are sticking together, and why they've agreed to follow you as a commander as you completely ignore the slug situation that ostensibly unites you all.

Obviously a lot of RPG stories struggle with the question of "why are these disparate people hanging out together" but in BG3 I really couldn't tell you why almost anyone is following me around, especially in cases where I outright ignore the reason they joined in the first place (Lae'zel doesn't massively care if you skip the creche, for example).

(and again, not that DA:O is some kind of high watermark of quality - I bring it up only because BG3 takes such obvious cues from DA)

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Gale's there to get a restraining order
Gale is there to be the seemingly normal, reasonable person, in the company of weirdos.... unless we are talking about power, he wants all the power. Necro book? Yeah, I'll read it. Worms in my brain? Yeah, I inject them. Crown of Domination? Yeah, I want that.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't let that fag in my party, but that was pretty funny
Why does everyone assume Astarion is particularly gay or gay codes? He's just a dandy. If you don't do anything with him, he ends up with Lae'zel, a woman. And he says yes to a female main character. And his big character arc if you romance him is becoming an evil vampire lord, just like the guy he desperately wants to kill.

Not gayer than any other man in the party, tbh.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Obviously a lot of RPG stories struggle with the question of "why are these disparate people hanging out together" but in BG3 I really couldn't tell you why almost anyone is following me around

The reason was to find a way to deal with the tadpoles. How more obvious should it be?

I don't let that fag in my party, but that was pretty funny
Why does everyone assume Astarion is particularly gay or gay codes? He's just a dandy. If you don't do anything with him, he ends up with Lae'zel, a woman. And he says yes to a female main character. And his big character arc if you romance him is becoming an evil vampire lord, just like the guy he desperately wants to kill.

Not gayer than any other man in the party, tbh.
I guess its true he is more 'high class' and posh than gay, but its still sort of soft and ghey as seen from the perspective of my character who is thief/burglar from the streets. All the characters are a little soft though really, I think its just because it is made by modern game makers.

Lemming42

Arcane
Obviously a lot of RPG stories struggle with the question of "why are these disparate people hanging out together" but in BG3 I really couldn't tell you why almost anyone is following me around

The reason was to find a way to deal with the tadpoles. How more obvious should it be?
Rotate your eyes upwards about one milimeter above the line you quoted.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shadowcute

afbeelding.png
Too bad "she" has a male face with hair, I fear that my character wake up with Shadowheart having a penis C.
I swear to god you fags are some of the weakest people in existence. "Oooh, look at this man face. So ugly, so hideous."

qxghgV7.png

This thread:

989.jpg
I would bang her, just to make her feel better about herself. Would not want her to feel bad, like I did not think she was hot or something. So yeah, a sympathy bang you know.
1233A3E20D22ADF100E7F879EB9D859CCAECFE12

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom