Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 gets another celebrity voice actor

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; Larian Studios

Today was the opening night of Geoff Keighley's Summer Game Fest, which has now conclusively replaced E3 as the gaming event of the summer. The show was as useless as ever this year, other than the brief appearance of Baldur's Gate 3. In the new trailer, Larian reveal that they've hired British actor Jason Isaacs to voice the game's second main antagonist, Lord Enver Gortash. He's a treacherous politician with an army of clockwork automatons that the party will have to tangle with once they arrive in the city of Baldur's Gate. It sounds like Jason enjoyed playing the role and even collaborated with Larian to develop the character further. The latest press release has a few more details:

DUBLIN, June 8, 2023 - Today’s Summer Game Fest showcase will see the reveal of a second antagonist for Larian Studios’ highly anticipated upcoming RPG, Baldur’s Gate 3.

After the recent disappearance of Duke Ravengard, the city of Baldur’s Gate has turned to Lord Enver Gortash, the up-and-coming designer of the Steel Watchers – magical clockwork warriors created to defend the city. As the newly-minted protector of Baldur’s Gate, Gortash stands as one of the most powerful figures within its walls.

Lord Enver Gortash is played by award-winning actor Jason Isaacs, best known for roles such as Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter series and Captain Hook in 2003’s Peter Pan.

As players arrive to the titular city of Baldur’s Gate, they find themselves in the middle of a perilous power struggle, with many factions & powers vying for political control of this complex organism of a city. Isaacs’ acting chops help bring an additional layer of depth to the characters players will meet in Baldur’s Gate – a place where it is already difficult to distinguish friend from foe – as a major antagonist to be contended with as you venture into the morally gray alleys and docklands of the game’s sprawling city.

Isaacs brought decades of experience in acting the villain to the recording booth with him, tweaking lines between takes and adding additional depth and flavor to the character of Gortash.

Larian teased the reveal on Monday with this clip of J.K. Simmons’ General Ketheric Thorm addressing Gortash.

Keep an eye out for more Baldur’s Gate 3 news at the PC Gaming Show on June 11th.

Baldur’s Gate 3 is set to release on PC & PS5 on August 31, 2023.​

It's not much, but as mentioned we'll be seeing more of Baldur's Gate 3 very soon during the PC Gaming Show on June 11th. Now I'm wondering what celebrity they got to voice the game's third main antagonist.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
FNb96x8WUA89ipV.png

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I still have some hopes left, given the strong early game, but these latest plot points they're revealing seem a bit ridiculous. For some reason, I'm getting a Fallout 4 vibe more than a Baldur's Gate one. And doubling down on the high fantasy after they've already hit us with the illithid, dragons, gith and Avernus doesn't seem like a good sign to me.

But then, their trailers and cinematics have always been lackluster and feel better in context.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Hmm, I don't get why they are spoilering the main plot points with these trailers
Yeah, the mystery is part of the fun of the early game. It's especially bad since the reveals seem pretty meh.

Totally not Irenicus elf sorcerer with the tortured past as the Absolute (does the spoiler even matter, since they revealed it?) made me facepalm a bit inside.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Am I thinking of the wrong Jason Isaacs?

WTF. Talk about not matching your characters to the right talent.

1686374301711.png

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This made me look up Jason Isaac's filmography (I always remember him from Event Horizon for some weird reason, never his bigger roles). Looks like his career nosedived shortly after the last Harry Potter. Good actor though, has a memorable look and voice.

Well maybe I'm full of shit. Looks like he was doing voice acting in video games and cartoons even during his time in big hollywood movies.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
we know from the RPG dark age (2004-2012)
that the more they focus on VA, the more gameplay sucks

no one gives a shit about hollywood voice actors

Fargus

Arcane
Lmao. He looks like this retard from Rules of Attraction.

michael-sheen-laws-of-attraction.gif

They are going for the levels of cringe only Larian are capable of reaching.

laclongquan

Arcane
Games never made full use, proper use, of VA celebrity/actors.

Anyone remember Fallout 3's Liam Neeson acting James/Dad?

The work is good. Shame that it was spread out in a middle/late game stage and very little in the early stage.

I mean, you dont actually need to throw all the Dad holotapes in Jefferson Memorial. That place only need one (for V112 clue in main quest) and maybe some more relating to the birth of main characters.

All the rest, you could spread along the theoretically Dad's journey to GNR, Rivet City, and later on to V112. That way the players could have something with content to find during their wandering NOT-following main quest like Vault tek HQ etc...

Sure, you could argue throw it about like that could lead to players not collected it~ But it's not as if players will listen to them properly in Jefferson Memorial either~ And more collectibles in the transitioning stages is a nice thing~

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone remember Fallout 3's Liam Neeson acting James/Dad?
Lol I forgot all about that. Casting an actor of that calibur seems counterproductive because you have to pay out the ass for him and his target audience probably doesn't even know your games exist and never will. Jason Isaacs is a smarterer choice because he's apparently made a name for himself in voice acting.

Skorpion

Educated
You ok Infini? The news seems to bother you to post it, maybe pass the torch on to others or take a break.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
in baldur - antagonist appears at the end of the dungeon says like two things and you kill his party
in swen wincke's baldur - antagonist has more cinematic screentime than solid snake had in mgs

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
its front loaded as hell
I'm not sure about this. With 3 antagonists and all the BG plot stuff, it doesn't sound like it.

Then there's the Bhaal stuff (3rd antagonist?) which hasn't even been brought up, but will probably be introduced at some point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom