Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Can somebody post that cartoon about how hobbies get taken over and how eventually the people who liked the hobby originally get kicked out?

7ialcps1mhl21.jpg

Sòren

Arcane
anyone remembers that D&D movie with Jeremy Irons and one of the wayans brothers?

if u enjoyed this one the game doesn't look that bad.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ho wow now that you point it out, the glittery "high" fantasy aesthetic is actually kinda similar to that in that shitty movie lmao.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
anyone remembers that D&D movie with Jeremy Irons and one of the wayans brothers?

if u enjoyed this one the game doesn't look that bad.

Who enjoyed that terrible movie?

Nobody. It's not even so bad it's good material. You get to see Jeremy Iron's trying to ham it up as much as anyone possibly can but even that isn't actually fun or funny.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
One of the things that annoyed me about the first trailer they put out is that the game is based on the underworld stuff right out of the gate.

Baldur's Gate starts in a very Tolkienesque manner. You are just a young kid who lived a very normal and mundane life who suddenly has been trust into a world that was far more dangerous and mysterious than you could ever imagine, same as in Lord of the Rings with Frodo etc.

Now, suddenly, you are encountering Illithids and Giths and Beholders and who knows what the fuck else like it's the most every day thing. There's no mystery now, everything has been laid bare to the point even the most bizzare and esoteric aspects of Forgotten Realms are just commonplace and boring.

Why is it a prerequisite that the MC must always start fighting rats and other critters before gradually moving up? I don't understand this fixation, if anything it is getting very stale.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Society changed, not DnD
Which society? Globohomo wants to suck your brains out like so many Illithids but they're just parasites, not the ding an sich.

Well, the CHARNAME generic afroamerican chick felt out of place, but other than that I don't get the amount of hate this trailer activated.
It was just kind of meh.
Meh isn't enough. Git gud.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Why is it a prerequisite that the MC must always start fighting rats and other critters before gradually moving up? I don't understand this fixation, if anything it is getting very stale.
Nobody said that and in fact that never happened in the series

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
One of the things that annoyed me about the first trailer they put out is that the game is based on the underworld stuff right out of the gate.

Baldur's Gate starts in a very Tolkienesque manner. You are just a young kid who lived a very normal and mundane life who suddenly has been trust into a world that was far more dangerous and mysterious than you could ever imagine, same as in Lord of the Rings with Frodo etc.

Now, suddenly, you are encountering Illithids and Giths and Beholders and who knows what the fuck else like it's the most every day thing. There's no mystery now, everything has been laid bare to the point even the most bizzare and esoteric aspects of Forgotten Realms are just commonplace and boring.

Because life itself is like that.

When you are born, you don't get just thrown into every secret reality has to offer all at once, you have to make your way to unveil and uncover things as you grow in character and experience.

Candlekeep is basically the Shire, which is really just an analogy of one's childhood. The moment the journey begins though, you are suddenly thrown into bigger realities and the farther you go the more mysterious and profound things become.

I think instincitvely it just feels counter intuitive for the human mind to start at the end rather than the beginning.

Even in Torment there's aspects of that world that are a mystery to the people living in there.

I also feel that if the world you are in doesn't treat certain things to be special then the player doesn't feel them to be special either.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Gameplay will be interesting.

Still looking forward to games where I don't have to just click through most text and pretend the graphics are shitty instead of jejune propaganda.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
By the way, is there some kind of summary of the BG character status in the canon D&D lore?
We have Minsc nad Jaheira.
Coran lives in Baldur's Gate and sucks dicks now or something.
Xan is also alive and a big homo.
What about Imoen?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This is the default humans... people are looking forward to this and giving them money.

In terms of globohomo, this is pretty weak.

Dwarf Fortress FORCES you to have tranny characters in every game. CDProjekt shows you tranny adverts throughout the game, and had a guy do a promo video wearing a World Economic FOrum ESG guidlines shirt. These are rookie numbers, Swen!

And seeing as how they got butthurt that everyone was making White males as their player characters, I am actually looking forward to the eventual buttblistered spergout by some dev commenting that almost NO ONE keeps the default skin tone. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom