Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 confirmed for release in 2023

Humbaba

Arcane
That's not a post hoc rationalization. The illithid will always be a threat until Wizards publishes a book that says they're not.

Literally anything in the monster manual is a threat so I have no idea what you're getting at.

It's organic storytelling not "planned all along." Of course it wasn't planned, and they're not saying it was either, that's your head canon.

So if your whole point so far was not "making the illithids from the BG2 side quest the main villains is not lame because there was foreshadowing", then what was?

Also, how is my head canon the very thing I'm arguing against???????

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Literally anything in the monster manual is a threat so I have no idea what you're getting at.
They're an entire civilization of highly intelligent creatures who want to dominate all other races.

So if your whole point so far was not "making the illithids from the BG2 side quest the main villains is not lame because there was foreshadowing", then what was?

In a shared universe, it's fine to take an element from a previous story and then expand upon it in a future one.

Humbaba

Arcane
They're an entire civilization of highly intelligent creatures who want to dominate all other races.

So are a lot of other monsters, I still don't know what your point is here.

In a shared universe, it's fine to take an element from a previous story and then expand upon it in a future one.

I agree in principle, but the Mindflayer issue was presumed to be solved in BG2 but now Larian is just treading old ground again because they couldn't come up with a more interesting premise.

Codex Year of the Donut
Illithids are far beyond the threat posed by nearly any other thing in the monster manual.
Aboleths, which have genetic memory, an infinite lifespan, and predate most deities have no memory of Illithids until they just appeared one day.
The in-universe explanation leans heavily towards their empire time traveling back to escape something.

Codex Year of the Donut

So are a lot of other monsters, I still don't know what your point is here.

I agree in principle, but the Mindflayer issue was presumed to be solved in BG2 but now Larian is just treading old ground again because they couldn't come up with a more interesting premise.
Except it is wasn't solved, it was a loose thread.
You never even find out who the Enlightened Ones are beyond possibly meeting some, referred to by the illithid in Jan Jansen's quest.
Jaheira(and others?) also has extra dialogue when you take her with you for his quest about them. Heavily hints that Jan's "uncle" is possibly an illithid in disguise. And the Enlightened Ones are likely Illithids in places of power all throughout the area.

Codex Year of the Donut
Except it is wasn't solved

It only wasn't solved because Larian declared it to be so. We've already fought Mindflayers before and now we're doing it again, just over the course of a whole game.
You do absolutely nothing to prevent the mindflayers in BG2 beyond kill a few that are trivially replaced.
It's not Larian saying this, it's BG2 flat out saying the city is thoroughly penetrated by them in disguise. It's the entire message of Jan's quest.

Humbaba

Arcane
You do absolutely nothing to prevent the mindflayers in BG2 beyond kill a few that are trivially replaced.
It's not Larian saying this, it's BG2 flat out saying the city is thoroughly penetrated by them in disguise. It's the entire message of Jan's quest.

None of this means anything, if Larian had not decided that the flayers are still relevant.

EDIT: If autism means being 100% right on the whole thing, then yeah, accurate rating.

Last edited:

Sin2x

Scholar

Direct question -- why are you shilling for Larian? Aside from being paid by them, of course, which is an open secret. Do you really enjoy the direction modern RPGs are moving in? If yes, what are you doing on Codex?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Direct question -- why are you shilling for Larian? Aside from being paid by them, of course, which is an open secret. Do you really enjoy the direction modern RPGs are moving in? If yes, what are you doing on Codex?
I'll criticize that which I feel deserves criticism. This is nothing. It's like getting mad over how Neverwinter Nights 2 didn't star the protagonist of the first game's campaign.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't really understand how people are mad that Larian obviously took the time to analyze the plot of BG2 and made a story based on material present in it.

Sin2x

Scholar
I'll criticize that which I feel deserves criticism. This is nothing. It's like getting mad over how Neverwinter Nights 2 didn't star the protagonist of the first game's campaign.

You are not critisizing, true. You are *shilling* for things that are opposite to what a CRPG should be. But your weaseling gave me the answer. Hope those thirty pieces of silver are worth it.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'll take this one, thank you.

The majority of the codex is like the majority of any society - they'll gobble shit and say thank you. Marvel watchers, fallout 4 players, typical brainlets with opinions implanted through propaganda, with zero intendent thinking. Proof: https://i.gyazo.com/1e3c769c25b54452d7ca9d6cdfa55412.png

Just because "roguey" used to like Fallout 2 back when, which was a game everyone liked, doesn't mean he has any thinking capacity. I have him written down as one of the most uneducated guys around.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
My parents immigrated to Belgium when I was a kid, it traumatized me big time.

wow, you're a massive pussy if this is true
I lived for 4 years without speaking with anyone, because I didn't know the language and nobody taught me anything. That would traumatize any kid.

I went from living in a white country with a ton of buddies and a normal social life to living in an arabic ghetto with zero social connections.

All I had was my old PC and a disc with Fallout 2. I was playing and replaying it for 4 years, this is where I got to "talk" to people.

You.Are.My.Friend!

I live in basement of parents.
I am singleplayer.
I don`t know what arab and don`t know the land with name "white country".

I have a skin color which I don`t know, because basement is dark and parent will not let me outside.
You want be friend?

We play RPG together.

jdinatale

Cipher
Russia is tough place...

For you
15326264_352209638469316_9157664819507537210_o.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The majority of the codex is like the majority of any society - they'll gobble shit and say thank you. Marvel watchers, fallout 4 players, typical brainlets with opinions implanted through propaganda, with zero intendent thinking. Proof: https://i.gyazo.com/1e3c769c25b54452d7ca9d6cdfa55412.png

Just because "roguey" used to like Fallout 2 back when, which was a game everyone liked, doesn't mean he has any thinking capacity. I have him written down as one of the most uneducated guys around.

I have zero interest in ever playing Fallout 4 but I like D:OS 2 so I will very likely also enjoy playing D:OS BG3.

Drowed

Arcane
There are literally dozens of perfectly valid reasons to criticize Larian.

The fact that they created a direct sequel to an RTWP series to totally change the gameplay. The flawed implementation of D&D. Their hit-or-miss humor (which for me hits, but your mileage may vary). Your companions/party who for the most part are stupidly annoying. The fact that this game is basically DOS:3 with a skin on top and they are not even subtle about it. Small maps that break the notion of map scale that existed in previous games, where a certain group's mysterious hideout is 3 screens away from their operation base. And the list goes on, and on, and on.

You know what makes no sense to criticize about Larian?

The focus of the plot on the Illithids. Literally, it is the most moronic criticism that can be made about the game. It's like taking Fallout 3 and instead of criticizing about all the obvious problems that exist in the game, you decide to criticize that the retrofuturistic setting doesn't make sense in context. That is frighteningly retarded. It is the most inane, obnoxious, irrelevant point anyone could choose to be butthurt about. I know people on Codex like to find random points to criticize about any game, but when your criticism is so moronic that it makes people want to defend someone who is doing a bad job, you need to look in the mirror and reflect on your existence. It is like those people who want to criticize a certain political position that you are actually against too, but the criticism is so imbecilic that you find yourself trying to defend your opponent because your supposed 'ally' is so stupid that you don't want to be seen as part of the same 'group' as him.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom