Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #23: Here's To You

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; Larian Studios

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/6199820457241938859

Hello, everyone!

During the launch weekend, you played a combined 1225 years of Baldur’s Gate 3 – almost as long as it took to make it. And 368 of you managed to finish it within that 3-day weekend. We salute you.

We’re about to enter the second weekend of launch, and thanks to you, it’s looking like it might be a big one. Last Thursday, we released Baldur’s Gate 3 in its final form (give or take a few hotfixes), and since, you’ve taken it into the top 10 all-time most concurrent players on Steam, and according to this Tweet, accounted for 28% of all player time on Steam last Sunday.

As we continue to look forward, releasing hotfixes and working toward our first serious patch, we also decided to look backwards this week. We’ve cooked up some statistics highlighting data from the opening weekend following launch and prepared a handy infographic outlining player choices, actions, deaths, and the like. Some inspiration as we head into our second weekend, if you will.

93% of you decided that your first journey through Baldur’s Gate 3 will be with a custom character, which included the Dark Urge. You spent a combined 88 years in Character Creation to craft your Tavs. Perfection!

For those of you who decided to play as one of our Origin characters, Gale was the number one choice, which is funny because he’s also the seventh highest cause of death out of any other cause of death. Speaking of death, one NPC was shoved into a chasm for every player at our peak concurrent player count – roughly 815,000.

We know you’re dying to know race and class split. The majority of you rolled half-elves, with the least popular (somewhat surprisingly) being the githyanki. Kaincha!

When it comes to classes, paladin takes the lead by some distance. Righteous! Cleric was the least popular choice, poor Shadowheart. (You can always respec Origin characters if you want!)

Though 93% of you rolled custom Tavs, of the 7% who decided to embark on one of the Origin stories, the majority chose Gale – though Karlach and Astarion are a close tie for second place. Based on how this played out with our previous game, Divinity: Original Sin 2, players will often embark upon their first playthrough with a custom character, and then, once they've gotten to know them a little better, play their second with one of the Origins as their avatar.

Interestingly, 10% of characters made in Character Creation were there for over an hour. You perfectionists.

The full infographic will be posted below and on social media, and once again only contains data from the game's opening weekend. After this weekend, we’ll see if things look any different! For example, although Astarion has already rejected 100,000 of you, we expect that number to climb. He must be exhausted.

We’d like to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the profound joy you've given us throughout this launch. The love and support you've shown us has lifted us up and energised us to tackle the bugs that pop up as you do the unexpected. We’ve created a game where you can do almost anything with the tools and systems we give you, and with that come a lot of unexpected surprises, but as you report them, we continue to work away on fixing them with our spirits high.

Your journeys were so full that we recently had to increase the size of savegames to allow for each individual’s personal tapestry. It was a surprise as humbling as it was serious, and serves as the perfect example of the type of unpredictable situation we work quickly to remedy. And yes, all of the hotfixes and changes that come with forthcoming patches will be reflected in the PlayStation 5 version of the game and beyond.

We have a roadmap for hotfixes and patches, thanks to your thorough reporting and the stellar work of the support and development teams behind the scenes. We don’t publish our roadmaps because we need the freedom to push and pull things around when the unforeseen happens without locking ourselves in, but we want to let you know that it’s there and that we’re currently working towards Patch 1, which will feature a gigantic list of tweaks and changes. We’ll publish these once it’s finalised.

Enjoy the adventure!​

agris

Arcane
Patron
this type of release doesn't need the codex's spotlight, it's going to get it from every single mainstream game site that covers bioware-style games

rather than amplify the amplified, you should focus on hidden gems.

what does our community gain by your reposting of press releases that are found on every mainstream site?

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/6199820457241938859

Here is the full infographic.

9846d1a69b5524b8b88d64011772b48469bf36f5.jpg

Black

Arcane
So vast majority of people went with custom nobodies instead of picking larian's colourful twinks?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
this type of release doesn't need the codex's spotlight, it's going to get it from every single mainstream game site that covers bioware-style games

rather than amplify the amplified, you should focus on hidden on gems.

what does our community gain by your reposting of press releases that are found on every mainstream site?
The BG3 thread accumulated over 200 pages of posts within a week. This is the content the people want.

agris

Arcane
Patron
i just had a realization: games like this work like our containment threads, only for society as a whole. 1225 man-years of stupid takes, REDACTED opinions, and borderline personality disorder-defining cognitive dissonance was arrested by channeling it into BG3. 88 man-years of sharing horrible tastes in main-stream industrial culture was saved merely by the option of Girl Dick: Type A or B?

that's amazing. i love bg3!

Last edited:

ds

Cipher
Patron
It's sad how telemetry in supposedly offline software is not something commonplace but something the devs are proud to show off.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Interestingly, 10% of characters made in Character Creation were there for over an hour.
Wait, how... How do they even know this?
this whole stat rundown reeks of creepy telemetry
Is this from STEAM sales and online active people? If you bought GOG, then I would think you were playing OFFLINE.

I’d have to look at how big each patch is. In the future are patches for games going to be in the terabytes?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

rather than amplify the amplified, you should focus on hidden on gems.

The BG3 thread accumulated over 200 pages of posts within a week. This is the content the people want.
it's what the plants crave

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's sad how telemetry in supposedly offline software is not something commonplace but something the devs are proud to show off.
They're legally obligated to include an option that turns it off. Most people don't, after all, what does it matter? Look at Steam achievements, that's a form of information gathering that a lot of people have embraced.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"Though 93% of you rolled custom Tavs, of the 7% who decided to embark on one of the Origin stories, the majority chose Gale", who was actually selected by 24% of players who chose an "Origin" character, as shown in the numbers above.

Larian doesn't understand their own statistics, but they do understand viral marketing.

bg3tzf2t.png

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yup, outside of the anomaly of dragonborn; it is the most human likke/'most attractive' racess selected. Bunch of anti dwarf races, and Larian managed to gaslight people.

l0l 93% of people made custom characters. L0L I guess all those saying unpopular races should be cut think the origins should be cut, too.

Not surprised paladin is popular.,.. but makes sense since it is cooler fighter to most people because they want paladin abilities but without atcually roleplaying a real paladin.

No discussion on gender or skin colour. I'm guessing outside of drow, tiefling, and dragonborn, white male is easily most common.

I notice they don't mention that the game is anti dnd.

Zedronar

Novice
During the launch weekend, you played a combined 1225 years of Baldur’s Gate 3
I'm enjoying the game, but the devs really need to cut back on these pointless statistics. Does anyone actually care if we've played for a combined single minute or 3000 trillion years?

Self-Ejected
I notice they don't mention that the game is anti dnd.
Could you expand on this, Volourn? I don't necessarily disagree with you; the game is based on 5e, afterall.

I was just wondering what's specifically anti-D&D about it in your opinion.
They didin't implement in the game Ready and Dodge as reaction a bizzarre decision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom