Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #21: Forging Your Legacy

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; Larian Studios

Craft Your Destiny: Forge A Bespoke Class With Multiclassing

Whether you are an experimenter at heart who forges class hybrids through careful consideration or you just can't decide between a warrior and a mage, we’re excited to finally announce that Multiclassing will be coming to Baldur's Gate 3.

Multiclassing really changes the game – literally – because it allows you to fully customise the theme of your character. It has both a roleplay and a practical function, leading to all sorts of chaotic combinations and experimentations.

In order to allow all your wildest dream class combinations, we've removed Ability Score Prerequisites. So there's no more need to get your Charisma up to a pesky 13 if you decide to make a soul pact with a playful archfey or dangerous fiend. You can Multiclass into anything your roleplay and build desires demand. In short, this means warriors will be able to wield arcane spells, rogues can master divine magic, spellcasters may dabble in martial prowess, and you’ll have the freedom to build the exact class that you want.

Each level, you'll have the option to choose a different class to spend points on and begin building a bespoke Multiclass character. Given the possible combinations, we recommend you have previous experience as a D&D player to fully leverage this feature. But should you decide to evenly spread all your points into every class for no strategic reason whatsoever, there’s naturally an achievement for that too.

Respeccing Classes
Controversial? Maybe. But a person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. We want to facilitate your experiments! With 12 classes, 46 subclasses, and now Multiclassing, when it comes to your character build, both veterans and novices of D&D are sure to make a few mistakes along the way. We want to encourage you to try new things, find fun combinations, and ultimately discover the playstyle that suits you best as you adventure across the Sword Coast and beyond.

Very early in your adventure, you’ll find that one particular NPC who was already helpful in Early Access has suddenly become even more useful. When you find him in the early stages of Act 1, he’ll have a few extra helpful abilities to help you in this arena – giving you the opportunity to restart your build from Level 1 with new starting proficiencies, attributes, spells, and cantrips.

Mercenaries At Your Service – Recruit Lethal Assistance With Hirelings

“But what if I want to create a party that is made up entirely of giant druidic badgers?”

We hear you loud and clear, community. Should you so choose, you’ll be able to create a custom party without any Origins, opting instead to have Hirelings join you on the road – mercenaries who can be hired to join your team temporarily.

In Baldur’s Gate 3, there are 12 Hirelings available for you to recruit – one for each class. Each has their own name, visuals, and race, and can be respecced at any time.

From Cauldron To Vial: Mastering The Art Of Alchemy

A new crafting feature comes to Baldur’s Gate. The domain of magic-wielders, conjurers, and anyone with a passing interest in mysterious fumes, Alchemy allows you to turn your collection of herbs, wild mushrooms, crystals, and monster limbs into useful items you can prepare ahead of a fight.

In Baldur’s Gate 3, you can use ingredients found in the wilderness to create a variety of extracts, then combine extracts to create potions, poisons, and oils to imbibe or coat your weapons with.​

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
In order to allow all your wildest dream class combinations, we've removed Ability Score Prerequisites. So there's no more need to get your Charisma up to a pesky 13 if you decide to make a soul pact with a playful archfey or dangerous fiend.
Oh fuck off
the dumbing down continues

but yeah add more bestiality and tranny demons, that's good!

Each level, you'll have the option to choose a different class to spend points on and begin building a bespoke Multiclass character.
Citation needed? It's been a long time since I looked at 5E closely, but there weren't any points to be spent on level up. Certainly not by class. Are they talking about ability scores? That only happens every 4 levels and doesn't regard class. Doe anyone know what they're referencing here?

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Finally thanks to the abolition of outdated ableist notions i can make the 1 charisma gollum tier pc multiclassing as paladin/bard/sorcerer of my dreams.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim Cain approves of this decision. Down with character creation decisions that require planning everything in advance. :cainapproves:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Tim Cain approves of this decision. Down with character creation decisions that require planning everything in advance. :cainapproves:
this facilitates at least two approaches to encounter design:

1. fuck you encounters which serve as build validity check
2. benign encounters you forget the moment they're over

Zeriel

Arcane
Finally thanks to the abolition of outdated ableist notions i can make the 1 charisma gollum tier pc multiclassing as paladin/bard/sorcerer of my dreams.

1 CHA monstrosities like this:

Getting it on with every non-binary dangerhair companion seems about right for this game.

On the topic of multiclassing, I never like when it's heavily advertised in a CRPG. Because that tells me the classes themselves are just bundles of abilities/stats and have no bearing on the story or content, there is no reactivity or special routes for them, etc. Owlcat got around this by tying those features to other things (like alignment in Kingmaker and the special god classes in WOTR), but in the absence of such things I just have to assume that your classes are meaningless except as a flavor of killing things.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

No one gives a shit about the declined homosexual Tim Cain and insane hipster Josh Sawyer

You and Infinitron and disgusting shills

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Being able to undo choices so easily kinda defeats the purpose of those choices in the first place. Not to mention the consequences. Experimenting with different character types is one of the main reasons to replay games. Sad. I'm anti respecc period, but if you allow it it should be REALLY HARD AND REALLY EXPENSIVE. But, hey, choices don't matter in this game where they brag you get lots of choices that 'matter'. LOL Yet, they cna't make a basic character choice stick. L0L

Deathhappens

Literate
It seems, what Beteshda is to Fallout, Larian is to Baldur's Gate/AD&D
I don't think we're even close to that, no. It's not a janky FPS.

And this was never going to be AD&D. This is D&D 5E - i.e., a garbage ruleset anyway.
Could you give some examples of why you think AD&D rules are better than D&D 5e?
Paladins were actually require to adhere to a strict code and alignment ethic. If you wanted that +5 Holy Avenger that makes demons cry for mommy, you had to earn it. Now any CE nutjob can act out his sickest fantasies and still get to smite people because "muh diversities"

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Being able to undo choices so easily kinda defeats the purpose of those choices in the first place. Not to mention the consequences. Experimenting with different character types is one of the main reasons to replay games. Sad. I'm anti respecc period, but if you allow it it should be REALLY HARD AND REALLY EXPENSIVE. But, hey, choices don't matter in this game where they brag you get lots of choices that 'matter'. LOL Yet, they cna't make a basic character choice stick. L0L
I agree in principle, but it really depends on how often you can respec in this case, and I think respec in general is needed in modern D&D.

I'm against this modern spreadsheet RPG trend that 3e started and Paizo has kept alive, and it makes respec necessary for anyone who doesn't plan out their build in detail beforehand.

Forget normies, any FUNCTIONAL ADULT, who has a job, a family, or who values his time in the slightest, doesn't want to have to restart 20 hours of game play because he just realized he's FUBAR'd his build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom