Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #20: Dragonborn, Half-Orcs and Monks - now releasing on August 3rd

Erebus

Arcane
Remind me again : other than illithids and the inevitable Minsc cameo, what will this game have in common with Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 ?
It takes place in the city of Baldur's Gate and the surrounding areas.

Technically a good point, but it's not really as significant as it might seem. BG1's story could have taken place in many other regions of the Forgotten Realms and it wouldn't have changed much.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Remind me again : other than illithids and the inevitable Minsc cameo, what will this game have in common with Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 ?
It takes place in the city of Baldur's Gate and the surrounding areas.

Technically a good point, but it's not really as significant as it might seem. BG1's story could have taken place in many other regions of the Forgotten Realms and it wouldn't have changed much.
romances

Delterius

Arcane
Totally off topic, but I have come to prefer classes where the character is given power by an entity with an agenda, rather than just by birth (sorcerer, etc).
Yes, I think warlock and pathfinder's witch equivalent are pretty much roleplaying gold. That said, people are super uncreative about sorcerers. Yeah, you're magical by birth. Bringing that about via 'my grandpa was a dragon' is the most vanilla way to do it. A magical curse, a wish upon a djinn, a religious blessing, contagion from a charmed place, a contract with an otherwordly being. All of these fit sorcerous origins. Hell, I think 5e even says wild magic can come from a fey pact.
I'd argue that BG2's real name is Shadows of Amn, since that's where it set. The Dark Alliance games, BG1, and now BG3 are all games set in Baldur's Gate. Which tracks because Forgotten Realms is weirdly obsessed about the sword coast. So much so that they'll destroy nations and entire continents almost out of fear that someone thinks of taking an expedition somewhere other than Neverdeep Gate.

Hell, I think they genocided Amn in some rando genie civil war or something.

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
It should be illegal for developers to take peoples money and not return a finished product for this many years. Regulate this abortion of an industry already

Delterius

Arcane
It should be illegal for developers to take peoples money and not return a finished product for this many years. Regulate this abortion of an industry already
this is an anarchist website and we don't appreciate the government interfering in free contracts between consenting adults and job creators

Poseidon00

Arcane
this is an anarchist website and we don't appreciate the government interfering in free contracts between consenting adults and job creators

Anytime you hear the phrase "consenting adults" it is always used in the context of allowing some heinous shit

Delterius

Arcane

Anytime you hear the phrase "consenting adults" it is always used in the context of allowing some heinous shit
as opposed to the wholesome version, 'consenting' children

Shin

Cipher
yes and we also need legislation for buggy products, a special court for micro transactions, a think tank to figure out what defines a RPG and mandatory universal suffrage to vote on the annual 'best rpg' poll on the codex. also lets raise taxes on non-RPG's (and Mexico) to pay for it.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
You always have the option to never pre-order, and never play/pay for Early access unless you're prepared to deal with an unfinished product
I sometimes buy Early access games that have a very promising feel to them, then stick them in the "Waiting to be finished" folder and forget about them until they get a full release, meanwhile I play the vast number of games that have already been fully released

ind33d

Educated
Half-orcs? Did they not get WOTC's memo that race-mixing is now haram?

"A SEPARATE SPACE FOR EVERY PLAYER'S HANDBOOK RACE" Wizards of the Klan

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom