Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 2 is vastly overrated

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bg1 rains phat loot. You get magic items easily. You literally get to buy fukkin artifacts. This myth that bg1 diesnt have lots of phat loot is fukkin retartet.

Last edited:

levelworm

Literate
- When I explored BG1's maps I discovered few things I would consider interesting, so discoveries never felt awesome.
If you're talking about loot, this is where we really disagree. The overabundance of magical items in BG2 is obscene. In BG1 magical items are harder to find which makes it feel rewarding whenever you do get them, and in BG2 the majority of the magical shit that gets thrown at you just gets sold off to merchants or never finds its way out of your bag of holding.
Most of the magic items in BG 1 are fucking boring. +1 dagger? Yey, I get +1 to THAC0 and +1 damage, whoopidiedoo. The only interesting loots are a bunch of wands.
The bow in the tent is pretty good though~~

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
D&D based games with truly great encounter design would be KotC I & II
I'm pretty sure I saw KotC 2 get shat upon pretty hard here, for reasons including encounter design?
I waited until the game was properly finished before playing it. As it is now, the encounter design is fantastic, and anyone that complains is a crybaby bitch.

I disposed of the troll dude who had besieged the De Arnise hold. Anomen died in the process, though. I was resurrecting him since I'm a cleric, but then Nalia's dialogue got triggered mid cast and my spell was interruped. I had to rest and cast the spell again :M

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I disposed of the troll dude who had besieged the De Arnise hold. Anomen died in the process, though. I was resurrecting him since I'm a cleric, but then Nalia's dialogue got triggered mid cast and my spell was interruped. I had to rest and cast the spell again :M
Yeah, I had things like that happen every once in a while. You want to cast a crucial spell and then their banter triggers...

KateMicucci

Arcane
Yeah, I had things like that happen every once in a while. You want to cast a crucial spell and then their banter triggers...
Is this an EE problem?

You can only leave the Planar Sphere when you're absolutely done with it. Maybe keep that in mind for the next time :M

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I was able to finish BG1, but BG2 lacks the same early game plot cohesion and direction. Therefore BG1 is better

I was able to finish BG1, but BG2 lacks the same early game plot cohesion and direction. Therefore BG1 is better
It's not that. Imo, rescuing Imoen is meaningless. You could've never added her to your party. You could've killed her yourself. bg1 and 2 are very different games.

Encounters are way, way better in 2 though. The expanded bestiary helps a lot.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
It's not that. Imo, rescuing Imoen is meaningless. You could've never added her to your party. You could've killed her yourself. bg1 and 2 are very different games.

Encounters are way, way better in 2 though. The expanded bestiary helps a lot.
Idk it’s just that the plot hook (rescuing imoen) is less good to me than the combination of Gorion’s murder and the iron crisis.

MerchantKing

Learned
Bhaalspawn Saga : Part 2: Siege of Dragonspear (name implies)
Not even part of the saga. Literally just a random beamdog insert. Irenicus swoops in and kidnaps you at the end of BG1. You find out about this when you can get the exposition dump from Imoen.

MerchantKing

Learned
The xp you get in Dragonspear gets you like a couple of levels more than what you'd have in normal bg2. That makes the beginning of the game much easier to go through.

MerchantKing

Learned
The xp you get in Dragonspear gets you like a couple of levels more than what you'd have in normal bg2. That makes the beginning of the game much easier to go through.
It's pretty easy even with the 89k xp you start with in bg2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom