Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mustawd

That article in which she praises Amber is hillarious. http://feministing.com/2014/03/27/a...leplaying-game-religions-work-as-moral-tools/

She rants about her "evil traditionalist Catholic family" for a while.
For me, RPGs were where I learned that it was possible to construct a faith not premised on the misogynist, homophobic, and even racist assumptions that informed my father’s vision of Roman Catholicism (a version often validated in the pulpit and made manifest through a glaring lack of female clergy that I questioned long before I even knew what “feminism” was).

And later she talks about her Lawful Good RPG character:
She manifested her virtue not only through charitable works of the traditional sort, but also by counseling safe sex, helping gay townspeople come out, combating the stigma of slut-shaming, and condemning those who would repress or inhibit sexual expression in others. She even carried abortifacients (though she never had occasion to use them).

Later she praises Amber Scott's pathfinder adventure like some would praise Dostoyevsky or Dante, or in a more Codexian example, MCA.

Whatever. She can play/LARP however she wants to. But it is telling that all this SJW agenda permeates everything she does. I mean if I was gay it's not like everything in an RPG would be about beating back the opression of gay people. Insert any other minority in there.

I guess it's true that when you have a hammer everything looks like a nail. This person clearly sees SJW persecution everywhere she looks.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
And later she talks about her Lawful Good RPG character:
She manifested her virtue not only through charitable works of the traditional sort, but also by counseling safe sex, helping gay townspeople come out, combating the stigma of slut-shaming, and condemning those who would repress or inhibit sexual expression in others. She even carried abortifacients (though she never had occasion to use them).
dbecvd.jpg

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I was looking back at some interviews. This one in particular:
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/dnd/bgenh/bgenhsodint.html

Phillip Daigle: It was very challenging to connect the two games together in a satisfying way. We didn't want Siege of Dragonspear to be a story that was entirely unrelated to the existing games: it had to tie into the first and second games but also strengthen the stories that were already there.

Phillip Daigle: Baldur's Gate is a sort of holy grail for a lot of PC gamers, and so we knew that we had to be extremely careful in our treatment of the characters, story, and gameplay. With every step we took we would be asking ourselves "Is this Baldur's Gate? Does this FEEL like Baldur's Gate? Does it have the right flavor?"
We frequently revised the story in the early stages of development and even brought in some RPG legends like Chris Avellone to help us hone the adventure and really give it that classic Baldur's Gate feel. When we made the decision to bring back the original voice actors, that's when we really knew we were making a Baldur's Gate game. They brought their characters back to life instantly and it added a whole new level of authenticity to the game.

Tying the two games together so SoD won't stand out? Extremely careful in treatment of characters? How come Minsc goes from his usual BG1 self to 'it's all about the ethics' in SoD and then back to his usual self in BG2?

Phillip Daigle: We've got lots of ideas for spots in the Baldur's Gate series that could be filled in, but we're waiting to see what the reception to Siege of Dragonspear is like before we commit to anything major. First we need to see what the fans want, then we'll look at what we can deliver.

I'm sure Beamdog have a lot of of spots to be filled for more of their fanfic SJW material. However, what the fans want? Didn't Amber Scott say, "If People don't like that, then too bad"? Doesn't sound like they're listening to the fans.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
By the way, what the fuck is this +1 to a stat retardation? AD&D didnt have that ultra faggotry. in AD&D stuff "set stats to". Jesus fucking christ, did they even read the fucking manual?

I know right? That's some 3E itemization right there. I never used the item revision mod for just this reason. The Gauntlets of Ogre Strength don't add +1 str you dumbasses.

edit: To elaborate: A +1 bonus to an item just makes you better than what you were. Items like the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength or Dexterity literally change who you can be. I will always remember the gauntlets while all the +1 or +2 stat bonus items just blend together.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
this is an actual dialogue in the game?
MoARYgP53M.png

it just hurts to read, i mean, c'mon. my ansgty middle school self can write better than this

It is, and never have I wanted to quit out of dialogue so quickly. You literally have to go through it, though, when it begins. It's in the city, the sleeping elf or whatever.

On the other hand, you get a pair of glasses that improves detect illusion and lets you interact with some creatures on another plane.

Wait..this is real dialogue? Seriously?

Yep. It's THAT bad.

kwanzabot whip out that CC.

Mustawd

I'm just saying, there's two types of graduate degrees: those you pay for, and those that pay you.

Hers is a bit of column A and a bit of Column B. Students don't get paid to attend or receive stipends. But there are fellowships, grant research positions, and adjunct teaching positions. But the school's website makes it clear that there are simply not enough of those to go around. As they 150 active PhD students, I'm guessing the majority of them have to pay.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
By the way, what the fuck is this +1 to a stat retardation? AD&D didnt have that ultra faggotry. in AD&D stuff "set stats to". Jesus fucking christ, did they even read the fucking manual?

I know right? That's some 3E itemization right there. I never used the item revision mod for just this reason. The Gauntlets of Ogre Strength don't add +1 str you dumbasses.

edit: To elaborate: A +1 bonus to an item just makes you better than what you were. Items like the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength or Dexterity literally change who you can be. I will always remember the gauntlets while all the +1 or +2 stat bonus items just blend together.

It's more interesting thematically, internally consistent and much more interesting character building. You can see why Beamdog disagreed with it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i'm up for equality, fair representation and social justice, but SJWs taken it too far, and even reduce characters by shoehorning sexuality and gender into them, plus all these "safe spaces" and "microagression" etc etc is incredibly stupid. take aracade gannon and veronica from new vegas. they are great characters, with realistic motivation and background, and happens to be homosexual. they don't show it with a 1000 watt neon sign that say "hey i am gay! the developers are so progressive!"

i know several gay and trans irl, and most of the aren't bothered by the stuff these white, cis, straight SJW are triggered with, what they want is jsut treated fairly by society, and they don't care if videogame cast are all white and straight.

in the end these SJWs are pretty much the same as racist and bigots, they're just the other side of the same coin.

that said, siege of dragonspear's problems lies deeper than blatant propaganda by idiots. cosidering beamdog is the only developer that has right to D&D now, i weep for its future.

Ninjerk

Arcane
"Katherine Cross is a Ph.D student in sociology who researches anti-social behavior online"

Translation: Katherine Cross has spent a lot of time in school to pursue a degree in a field that is not really all that competitive. In addition, she likes to spend time on the internet looking for posts that are offensive to her.

Seriously, my dog could get a PhD in sociology. It's probably no harder to get than a business related PhD (of which I could have easily gotten if I wanted to be a student for 5 more years, get paid dog shit during that time, and overall hate my life as a researcher.)

Don't be swayed by the almost-degree. That opinion piece is full of pathetic hand waving of facts contrary to her opinion.
Cross has cropped up in GG shit before. Almost certainly a FF follower.

Follows Kotaku UK, Anita Sarkeesian, pedo chick, Jennifer Hepler, Brianna Wu, etc.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I am 100% for the changing if Japanese/Asian pedophile sexualized children into properly dressed non-sexualized children. Children shouldn't be sexualized period. People who want children to be sexualized should be shot in the face multiple times in my opinion.

I am also for female warriors looking like warriors and not super models. Like the sexist Dragon Age that had a tank character with shoulders narrower than her hips. There has never been a tough person that had shoudlers narrower than hips. Period. it is fucking retarded and shows Bioware are sexists as well as shitty console game makers for children and retards.

I am extremely socially liberal. I don't give a fuck what anyone does or what they stick where or what they want to be called as long as they are consenting adults and aren't pedophiles and I don't have to pay for it. I'm all for third trimester and late term abortions; hell, I'm for abortions until the child is 18 years old. I honestly don't give a fuck.

What I do give a fuck about is crpgs not being a platform for a political agenda and social change. I don't want it to be blatantly obvious the game is made by close minded zealots that cannot write good characters because their characters are from the warped mind of a cult zealot who knows the absolute truth.

I really enjoyed the changes of this patch to BGEE, but beamdog's refusal to even try to understand this isn't about people hating on trannies, but about games being good games with interesting stories written by normal people without shoving their political views down your throat and writing characters and dialogues that are only good to people who are also political zeolots and are unable to see the issue people are talking about.

Not only will I not buy this expansion, but like with Bioware, I am not spending my money on close minded hate mongers who just jump to racist/sexist/other name calling and close off their mind instead of even trying to understand because trying to understand something outside of your enlightened truth would mean not being a religious nut like they all seem to be (religion as they treat their truth as religious gospel and anyone that doesn't 100% agree is an evil sinner who should burn in hell, and a troll, etc).

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm just saying, there's two types of graduate degrees: those you pay for, and those that pay you.

Hers is a bit of column A and a bit of Column B. Students don't get paid to attend or receive stipends. But there are fellowships, grant research positions, and adjunct teaching positions. But the school's website makes it clear that there are simply not enough of those to go around. As they 150 active PhD students, I'm guessing the majority of them have to pay.

Oh I was just talking about STEM fields vs. non-STEM. Anyone in a hard science or engineering PhD program will be paid for getting their PhD. Others, will not. This reflects the relative need of the degrees.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I am 100% for the changing if Japanese/Asian pedophile sexualized children into properly dressed non-sexualized children. Children shouldn't be sexualized period. People who want children to be sexualized should be shot in the face multiple times in my opinion.

I am also for female warriors looking like warriors and not super models. Like the sexist Dragon Age that had a tank character with shoulders narrower than her hips. There has never been a tough person that had shoudlers narrower than hips. Period. it is fucking retarded and shows Bioware are sexists as well as shitty console game makers for children and retards.

I am extremely socially liberal. I don't give a fuck what anyone does or what they stick where or what they want to be called as long as they are consenting adults and aren't pedophiles and I don't have to pay for it. I'm all for third trimester and late term abortions; hell, I'm for abortions until the child is 18 years old. I honestly don't give a fuck.

What I do give a fuck about is crpgs not being a platform for a political agenda and social change. I don't want it to be blatantly obvious the game is made by close minded zealots that cannot write good characters because their characters are from the warped mind of a cult zealot who knows the absolute truth.

I really enjoyed the changes of this patch to BGEE, but beamdog's refusal to even try to understand this isn't about people hating on trannies, but about games being good games with interesting stories written by normal people without shoving their political views down your throat and writing characters and dialogues that are only good to people who are also political zeolots and are unable to see the issue people are talking about.

Not only will I not buy this expansion, but like with Bioware, I am not spending my money on close minded hate mongers who just jump to racist/sexist/other name calling and close off their mind instead of even trying to understand because trying to understand something outside of your enlightened truth would mean not being a religious nut like they all seem to be (religion as they treat their truth as religious gospel and anyone that doesn't 100% agree is an evil sinner who should burn in hell, and a troll, etc).
Careful, you're going to trigger someone in here.

Trashos

Arcane
I just finished chapter 7. Once I got out of the tutorial dungeon, the writing got so hilariously bad, I can't take the game seriously anymore. It's almost as if this has been the official style guide during development:
- Every single female character talks with Amber Scott's vocabulary, uses her "snappy remarks" and her sarcasm. That's a clear sign of 14 y.o. fanfic level of writing. That she is amateurish is alright in itself - many people have been there, but only Amber Scott has been handed to write the first original content for the BG games since 2004, and that's not alright.
- Every female character is obligated to express her superiority to men at every opportunity, in general or in particular - whether that be her father, her boyfriend, her traveling companion (Dynaheir/Minsc), or a male PC. Examples range from Corwyn's daughter, to Skie and her father, to Viconia and some generic duergar friend of hers who serves no other purpose except for her to spite him, to the Safana and Coran exchange. You don't even have to look closely for those examples. Boy, you'd think this Scott woman must have been put down by men all her life to develop such blind hatred. It's really a fixation she has, apparently. It's curious to behold, it's like misogyny but backwards.
- Minsc has to act as if he's signed a contract with a hamster pets shop chain, by which he is bound to mention Boo in literally, and I mean literally, every other sentence that comes out of his mouth. The Boo jokes are so overdone, that as much of a fan as you could be, you could seriously grow to hate Minsc by the end.

I'm beginning to think the whole Caelar Argent crusade is a metaphor for Scott's own crusade against the patriarchy, where she sees herself as the torchbearer of freedom from the oppression of... "people who don't like that".

My conclusion - as many have already pointed out, the problem with the game's writing isn't the themes, sadly it's far more basic - it's the inability of the writer to create distinctive characters, even after such characters have been served to her on a silver platter with the BG license. This inability generally speaks of lack of good literary examples and culture around which a distinctive writer's style could develop, and lack of personal experience with and understanding of real-life people. This completely ties in with the worldviews she has recently expressed and with her insecure reactions to criticism. To put it simple, her head contains nothing which could produce good writing. All she has there (and it's flowing through each character's lines, because Scott is unable to speak through her characters' perspective) is SJW cliches about the world, and the library of snappy remarks she has gathered from hanging out on twitter and tumblr, supposedly in the years when she was a "self-employed writer". It's sad, but obviously, that's all her inner world.

What's left of the game is the railroaded succession of maps which you have to cover, completing stupid errand quests and going through combat. For plot and continuity reasons, you can't level up in this expansion (I checked it, depending on your class group Fighter/Priest/Mage/Thief, you can level up between 2 or 3 times, with a raised XP cap), so that's all there is. In this state, it's less than half a game for me. Right now I don't feel it's even worth playing through to the end. I think they would have done best to have kept this a DLC.

I salute you, Sir, for sacrificing yourself in order to save us money.
I have a question about Jaheira. The devs talked about how she is not a "nagging wife" any more, but I have no more info about her. How is Jaheira in SoD?

(People complain about how fast Jaheira forgets about her husband in BG2, but to me BG2-Jaheira is one of the most realistic "strong women" ever depicted in RPGs. Hence my interest.)

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Oh I was just talking about STEM fields vs. non-STEM. Anyone in a hard science or engineering PhD program will be paid for getting their PhD. Others, will not. This reflects the relative need of the degrees.
Not just degree. You also get paid in certain parts just to get the proper credentials to get into a PhD program. I got invited into the Case Western Med Program. 30K to study for 1 year. Those liberal art's degrees are worthless.

Back on topic, I wanted to get this game, but them protecting a complete douche like the fat chick who said all that SJW shit makes me hold off on buying. Man, these developers are killing themselves backing such idiots. Her ego is as huge as her ass.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That could very well be Daigle since he's established himself as a goon

Though unlike Sawyer, Daigle is a D&D-disrespecting hack who nerfs established creature stats and creates absurd monty haul loot campaigns. Josh disrespects it in an entirely different way. :P

From that bullshit article:
Amber Scott, a writer on the game, responded to these criticisms by saying...
No, dumbfucks, if you had at least checked your facts, you would see that she made that post on August 5, 2015. She can't have been responding to these criticisms 8 months before the game's release. The date on this post and the things she says makes it evident that she had a chip on her shoulder, was on a "crusade", waay before the game was ridiculed for its shitty writing. And anyone can see that:
https://archive.is/4HIow#selection-4337.0-4337.268
Beamdog have hidden the whole thread on their forum. I guess just to hide this one post.

I have a question about Jaheira. The devs talked about how she is not a "nagging wife" any more, but I have no more info about her. How is Jaheira in SoD?
Since I started with an evil PC, I haven't met Jaheira yet. I'll see if I'll have the nerves to continue playing today, since I've already put Icewind Dale on hold, and now there is also D:OS waiting... there are only so much wake hours left after work to devote them all to the crusading "Amber of Scott".

Last edited:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Well, fuck me in the ass and call me Susan, I've finally finished BG 1. 70 fucking hours. Holy! I thought this was gonna be a lot shorter than BG 2. Time to see what this expansion is about.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
General RPG Discussion is magic... /sigh

Look, not that I'm pro-SJW or something but has anyone actually try the damn game? How is it?

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That article in which she praises Amber is hillarious. http://feministing.com/2014/03/27/a...leplaying-game-religions-work-as-moral-tools/

And later she talks about her Lawful Good RPG Cleric character:
Her Lawful Good Cleric of Lastai that is unambiguously righteous. She manifested her virtue not only through charitable works of the traditional sort, but also by counseling safe sex, helping gay townspeople come out, combating the stigma of slut-shaming, and condemning those who would repress or inhibit sexual expression in others. She even carried abortifacients (though she never had occasion to use them).

What sort of DM would have a campaign that had a cleric go around helping gay townspeople come out? Forget about the lich and his undead army that's marching towards the town, there are more important matters at hand with helping the gay townspeople come out and practicing safe sex. Do they have condoms in D&D?

What sort of pnp group is this? On second thought, I don't want to know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom