Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Backspace: Obsidian's unproduced "Sci-Fi Skyrim"

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I can just picture these guys shaking their heads going "the kessel run in under 12 parsecs? That so unrealistic, man."
Time for random trivia
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run#Development
In the revised fourth draft of A New Hope in 1976, the description for "Kessel Run" is put as follows:
"It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!"​
Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation.​
So it implies that the puzzling speech of Han Solo is "misinformation" and not truth, and it has nothing to do with the nature of the Kessel Run in any respect. Han means nothing other than impressing Obi-Wan and Luke with pure boasting. Indeed, even in the final version of the script, the parentheses attached to Han's line state that he is "obviously lying."
Alec Guinness was too subtle. :M

:P

Duraframe300

Arcane
Dimensional Travel is an even bigger clusterfuck than time travel though. And there's not even that much interesting stuff you can do with it without a massive amount of logical errors.
You literally can't have time travel without a huge paradox meaning your entire story is based around a plot hole.

How is dimensional travel a bigger clusterfuck than that?

Same accounts for dimensional travel?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have been waiting and fucking waiting for Obsidian to do their own Sci-Fi setting. If they would do this as a Kickstarter but not be shitty pop-a-mole dumbed down console next gen shit I'd back the fuck out of it. Even if it was an IE like RTwP.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I have been waiting and fucking waiting for Obsidian to do their own Sci-Fi setting. If they would do this as a Kickstarter but not be shitty pop-a-mole dumbed down console next gen shit I'd back the fuck out of it. Even if it was an IE like RTwP.

They should've made that Star Trek-game when they had the chance, I don't think I can forgive them for passing on that.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter

They should've made that Star Trek-game when they had the chance, I don't think I can forgive them for passing on that.
When did this happen? First I've heard of it. Hard to imagine Obs just passing up on a game, they always seem desperate to find work.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

When did this happen? First I've heard of it. Hard to imagine Obs just passing up on a game, they always seem desperate to find work.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=8684

We don't know if they "passed it up" or just weren't sufficiently enthusiastic about the idea for Bethesda's tastes.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Also, I don't think Obsidian are as desperate for work as it sometimes seems, Fergus said they regularly get contacted by publishers wanting them to make RPGs, but they only have so much manpower so most of the time nothing comes of it.

It's mainly a timing thing. They do get desperate quickly if they don't have any other work lined up when a project is finished and a team is idle.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Could be (more) interesting if, instead of yet another run off the fucking mill ackshun arr pee gee we get drowned in these days, they went for something more of an adventure RPG where fastpaced combat isn't the main drive of the game. Something of an oddball mix up between B.A.T. 2, Dreamweb, Buried in Time and Deus Ex, and with a nice reactive ruleset.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also, I don't think Obsidian are as desperate for work as it sometimes seems, Fergus said they regularly get contacted by publishers wanting them to make RPGs, but they only have so much manpower so most of the time nothing comes of it.

Yeah man, all those offers enabling them to pick and choose must be why they chose to make a russian MMO :M

Micmu

Magister
The fact that they were even considering doing business with batshitsda again (after being buttfucked over royalties for that new vegan thing) means they are either fucked in the head or really really desperate and a month away from going belly up.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fact that they were even considering doing business with batshitsda again (after being buttfucked over royalties for that new vegan thing) means they are either fucked in the head or really really desperate and a month away from going belly up.

Not really. The bonuses were just that...bonuses. Bethesda's money for making the game still kept Obsidian in operation. Bethesda didn't help Obsidian but nor did they harm them. Who would throw away the opportunity to work on another Fallout game just because of a grudge over a bonus?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

meh that would have been yet another shitty dumbed down console game (but with possibly good story and good cRPG mechanics). I'd much much rather they do what they want Sci-Fi wise with no Publisher at all involved.

Why the surprise? As much as I don't like Bethesda's games, is it really surprising that Obsidian would want to establish ongoing partnerships with them for AAA games? They're the only sizeable publisher to have originated from the old Interplay 'crpg developer with a publishing wing' model, and I would have thought that they'd be the publisher most likely to understand the budgeting/development needs of crpgs (contrast with EA's 'game per year' policy), and the publisher most likely to understand the long-selling aspect of successful crpgs. I've got a lot of criticisms of Bethesda's games, but skimping on development time isn't one of them.

Rake

Arcane
I would be :bounce: for a sci-fi time travel RPG from Obsidian with Tim Cain as a Lead.
But only if it was 2D and kickstarted.(preferably TB but RTwP is also ok)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why the surprise? As much as I don't like Bethesda's games, is it really surprising that Obsidian would want to establish ongoing partnerships with them for AAA games? They're the only sizeable publisher to have originated from the old Interplay 'crpg developer with a publishing wing' model, and I would have thought that they'd be the publisher most likely to understand the budgeting/development needs of crpgs (contrast with EA's 'game per year' policy), and the publisher most likely to understand the long-selling aspect of successful crpgs. I've got a lot of criticisms of Bethesda's games, but skimping on development time isn't one of them.
That's for their internal projects, Bethesda treats people they don't own like shit. Proof: nearly every non-BGS game they've published has been awful, the stories behind Rogue Warrior and Prey 2, Brian Fargo dropping hints about the frustrations he had while working on Hunted.

I think Obsidian got a pass on New Vegas because Bethesda is aware enough to know not to damage their own established brand.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's for their internal projects, Bethesda treats people they don't own like shit. Proof: nearly every non-BGS game they've published has been awful, the stories behind Rogue Warrior and Prey 2, Brian Fargo dropping hints about the frustrations he had while working on Hunted.

I think Obsidian got a pass on New Vegas because Bethesda is aware enough to know not to damage their own established brand.
Not that big of a pass, http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...wars-rpg-idea-to-ea.82953/page-4#post-2660036

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom