Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Azarkon vs the Cult of Hardcore RPG Fatalism - can hardcore RPGs sell better?

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
The problem with reeling in less skilled masses is the danger of attracting low IQ subhumans who will complain about retarded stuff.

I mean, that's a problem for me as a player. For media investors, who drop shit games after shit games every year, the "problem" is solved by laughing at (or cattering to) their complains all the way to the bank. Doesn't make much of a difference when you are selling millions.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
- it's easy on Hard
- can't fuck up your build, all stats make you more awesome at combat, one way or another, which means you don't really need to think when creating or leveling up your characters; compare it to ToEE.
- pitiful skill selection
- gameplay revolves around killing things, combat is shoved everywhere even in quests where it doesn't make any sense; compare it to Arcanum to see the difference in complexity.

Which of these elements changing would have caused sales to halve in your opinion? Reviews of your game seem to uniformly praise the way it handles 3 and 4 so I'm guessing people wouldn't start complaining about gameplay variety or greater skill selection. The uniform gripe with your game seems to revolve around 1 and 2, with people feeling railroaded and hitting walls in combat.
Top complaints about AoD:

#1 - too difficult
#2 - stats and skills restrict content
#3 - playing the master of all trades is impossible
#4 - too linear, didn't see any options, can't find any choices
#5 - can't find content on my own

Each of these aspects cost us sales. Not that I'm complaining. I know which market we want to serve.

someone should inform Larian that turn-based combat is terrible for sales!

In a co-op game aimed at a very different market.

Not that different...
But it is. Do you see the design difference between Original Sin and Fallout or Underrail, for example? Or all you see is TB?

BfurnrDCIAAGUEe.jpg

Space Insect

Arcane
I really should not have wasted this much time of my life reading this thread.

However, the butthurt has been delectable.:butthurt:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The only thing you straighten out is how some people here have a bunch of mistaken assumptions about gaming.

A striking admonishment from someone who believes the following bullshit:

Because it’s the truth.
Three arcade games whose combat can be encapsulated in one sentence: dodge and hit, dodge and hit. That is not hard in my dictionary, even if you evaluate their difficult in terms of reflex. I bet that a lot of Atari games are harder than them. The fact the only games with hard combat that sold more are arcade games just reinforced my other point: causal and console gamers don’t have the patience to dwell on a complex character building or combat systems. They want a sword to kill things and feel powerful.

You should straighten out your mistaken assumptions about gaming bro, starting with the meaning of the word "arcade". Afterwards, you can also try playing games before making blanket statements about their combat systems, if that's not too much for you to handle. I think this will help you be less confused about the world in general, and games in particular.

I thought the combat in D:OS was easier than Fallout.

Where does PoE Hard fall on that difficulty scale?

Johannes

Arcane
- it's easy on Hard
- can't fuck up your build, all stats make you more awesome at combat, one way or another, which means you don't really need to think when creating or leveling up your characters; compare it to ToEE.
- pitiful skill selection
- gameplay revolves around killing things, combat is shoved everywhere even in quests where it doesn't make any sense; compare it to Arcanum to see the difference in complexity.

Which of these elements changing would have caused sales to halve in your opinion? Reviews of your game seem to uniformly praise the way it handles 3 and 4 so I'm guessing people wouldn't start complaining about gameplay variety or greater skill selection. The uniform gripe with your game seems to revolve around 1 and 2, with people feeling railroaded and hitting walls in combat.
Top complaints about AoD:

#1 - too difficult
#2 - stats and skills restrict content
#3 - playing the master of all trades is impossible
#4 - too linear, didn't see any options, can't find any choices
#5 - can't find content on my own

Each of these aspects cost us sales. Not that I'm complaining. I know which market we want to serve.
You're assuming that addressing these complaints would necessarily alienate the core target group. With better design and balance they could be alleviated a lot, making the game better for everyone. Not that you'll ever get a game with zero complaints, but you could always have a wider and happier audience the better your product. Blaming people's retardedness as the reason for low sales is a lame cop-out even if it's partly true.

Or to get back to PoE, I agree with Jim that those features / faults you quoted would not make the game sell any less if they were changed. Why would casuals mind if the hardest difficulty would be actually difficult? If there was less filler combat would that actually turn people off? If there was more character build diversity, but not to the point of inconveniencing people on normal difficulty, would that turn people off? If there were more well-implemented skills, would that scare off buyers?

Azarkon

Arcane
Wrong. "Choices that matter, bruh" are just a buzzword nowadays. Here is how "many mainstream games" treat C&C:

Option A
/ \
Choice Both reach the same place.
\ /
Option B

Have you played Age of Decadence? Your choices in that game have meaningful and irreversible consequences leading to entirely different quests and places. You would need a HUUUGE flowchart to illustrate the many paths you can take in that game.

The argument sailed right over your head, it seems. Allow me to simplify it by illustrating how ridiculous your logic is -

AAA developers: CHOICES THAT MATTER !!!
Gamers: YAAAYYY!!!
AAA developers: <but actually, we're just implementing the illusion of choice>
Gamers: WHO CARES!! YAYYYY!
"Hardcore" developer: CHOICES THAT MATTER !!! <it actually does!>
Gamers: WE HATE IT, BURN IT WITH FIRE!

Wrong again. Souls games aren't RPGs in the sense that VD and ITS understand them, just for starters. And even if you consider them to be, what Dark Souls made is pocket change compared to the much easier Witcher 3. Dark Souls simply happens to have a larger budget, which allow for better graphics and animations which in turn result in greater mainstream appeal. Also, most people quit DaS2 after getting REKT by the Pursuer one too many times. :smug:

The Witcher 3 out-sold the Souls games because it:

* Has 2x-3x the amount of content/gameplay
* Has an excellent story & characters
* Is based on a popular fantasy series

All the success of the Souls games shows it that the industry doesn't reject difficult games just because they're difficult.

:notsureifserious:

You're basically saying that stats are OK, as long as they don't really matter. Bethesda and Bioware heard you a long time ago.

Except I didn't? Is reading comprehension a problem for you, or are you only able to make arguments through strawmen?

Really? And what else should be advertised? You want a small studio to make a trailer like this:

Let's watch the trailer of one of those "games with turn based combat that sold well" and play "spot the turn based combat". Oh that's right, there is none! I wonder why...

The argument seems to have sailed over your head again. Turn-based combat isn't enough to sell a game today because there are many turn-based games. You're not offering anything special/niche just by having turn-based combat.

Yes, it does. It's a designer choice that gets manboons butthurt because they can't dump charisma AND pass all those social checks. Not catering to idiots = less mainstream appeal = niche game.

I'll say it again: nobody ever decided not to buy a game because you had stat checks. That bias exists only in your head.

1. AoD's ruleset is one of the best I ever saw in any cRPG and an integral part of the "vision" behind the game, IMO. Using a more famous ruleset is simply catering to idiots. Again.

Yes, I'm sure PnP "idiots" who spent decades building RPG systems are clueless. Isn't that why we got Pillars of Eternity?

2. Yes, because using an unique setting instead of same old same old really SHOULD be held against developers. HOW DARE they refuse to make another LotR/Forgotten realms game. :argh::argh::argh:

Unique settings =/= generic medieval fantasy setting, except with different names for orcs, elves, giants, etc. and different gods!

Facts are hard to accept, aren't they?

4. REALLY? Do tell me about the virtues of weaboo storytelling.

Do you really think only weeaboo storytelling sells? Because last I checked, The Witcher 3 sold very well.

5. Contradiction much? You're basically saying "use known ruleset, use known setting, invite celetrities because why the fuck not" and then you ask for innovation!? What the flying fuck?

I knew this would catch a few people, but only those whose ability to comprehend arguments consists of:
:rage:
But to make it short: there are two ways to build successful games. The first is to go for nostalgia. The second is to innovate. In both cases, the goal is to set yourself apart from the crowd. A popular ruleset, setting, license, etc. helps to do it. Innovation also helps to do it.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Wrong. "Choices that matter, bruh" are just a buzzword nowadays. Here is how "many mainstream games" treat C&C:

Option A
/ \
Choice Both reach the same place.
\ /
Option B

Have you played Age of Decadence? Your choices in that game have meaningful and irreversible consequences leading to entirely different quests and places. You would need a HUUUGE flowchart to illustrate the many paths you can take in that game.

The argument sailed right over your head, it seems. Allow me to simplify it by illustrating how ridiculous your logic is -

AAA developers: CHOICES THAT MATTER !!!
Gamers: YAAAYYY!!!
AAA developers: <but actually, we're just implementing the illusion of choice>
Gamers: WHO CARES!! YAYYYY!
"Hardcore" developer: CHOICES THAT MATTER !!! <it actually does!>
Gamers: WE HATE IT, BURN IT WITH FIRE!

This actually happen in reality, just replace "gamers" with "sub 100IQ subhumans".

I'm gonna pull a VD and not bother answering the rest of your post.

Azarkon

Arcane
When they do poorly, yes. Look at Serpents, for example. My point was that RPGs have a very limited appeal, so whereas an action game can easily sell 500,000 copies, if not millions, a hardcore RPG has a much smaller range. There is a reason why Troika is dead. There is a reason why RPGs almost went extinct until they were revived by Diablo and Baldur's Gate by inserting a heavy dose of RT action there (anyone old enough to remember that Diablo was TB in the early iteration?).

RPGs have very limited appeal ... but Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Wastelands 2, Shadowrun Returns, and Banner Saga sold hundreds of thousands of copies? I suppose in your mind all of these games are action RPGs?

Same as Arcanum, ToEE, Planescape, Wizardry 8, etc.

Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of what they were aiming for; one was designed to be an "epic" new IP RPG with choices and consequences, dialogue, creative quest solutions, etc., the other a cash-in for the D&D license, similar to the difference between the Baldur's Gate series and the Icewind Dale series at a level. The fact that both managed to fail shows a fundamental issue with Troika's approach to quality assurance, which also came up when they tried to move into the AAA space with V:tM.

I wouldn't take Troika sales as being representative of any absence of market for RPGs, because at the end of the day, they made three significantly different games and all three failed, while other games in those same genres succeeded.

As for Wizardry 8:

"When Wizardry 8 came out, online digital distribution was not an option. Steam didn’t exist yet. Online retailers were just starting out, and were not a viable option. In fact, the majority of people were still using dial-up to access the internet on 56k modems! For people to purchase your game, you needed to be in a retail store. To be in a retail store, you needed a publisher. Unfortunately in Sir-Tech Canada’s case, they couldn’t find one for North America initially, so they ended up self publishing through an exclusive agreement with EB Games for a period of time. This really hurt sales, and consequently contributed to the closure of the studio. It would have been interesting to see how Wizardry 8 would have fared back then if online distribution existed as it does today."

Planescape is a whole different story from all of the above, and while it did fail initially to make much profit for BIS, it created a legacy that's now being exploited for millions of $ and catapulted its lead designer into celebrity status. Hardly a failure in the long run.

People can accept hard when it's tied to their hand-eye coordination, not when it's TB, characters' skills, figuring out how to beat the odds stacked against you.

Icewind Dale? Old X-COM games?

Did anyone claim that? Ever? Yes, there are stats and skills, but in most games they are disconnected. #2 complaint we got is stat- and skill-restricted access. Most people don't want it. They want cosmetic character sheets, stats and skills that make them more awesome, not restrict them in any way.

And this is from the "hardcore" crowd that was the market for your game? Then I think you need to re-evaluate why that mechanic is in your games.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
I think the game like AoD and Underrail will sell more if their graphic is good enough like PoE and Wasteland 2 without sacrifice anything that makes them amazing.

I know, i finished PoE twice just for that alone. eventhough the storyline and combat is average and boring.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yes, I'm sure PnP "idiots" who spent decades building RPG systems are clueless. Isn't that why we got Pillars of Eternity?

Shut up, man! Systems proven to work? Pfah. They all suck! Because THAC0! And because hardcounters! And because... because REASONS!

Azarkon

Arcane
Because it’s the truth.

Asserting a statement doesn't make it the truth.

Of course, because the definition of “hardcore cRPG” player involves the definition of “cRPG”, which involves the definition of “RPG”. I could spend 10 years researching the subject, write a whole book about it, and people would still disagree with me, because that is a complex and abstract subject, involves a lot of assumptions about the ontology of social artifacts, etc. Instead of presenting a definition, you can provide a simple characterization of the typical hardcore player, and they’re also illuminating. For instance, a typical hardcore player have the patience to dwell on a complex character building, which “Underrail”, “Age of Decadence” and “Serpents in the Staglands” have – I didn’t play “Legends of Eisenwald” or “Lords of Xulima”.

And you're telling me the D&D, GURPS, and other ruleset RPGs I listed didn't have these?

I notice that most people have this mistaken idea that when we are talking about games, the truth about the subject must be empirical, based on his impressions and widespread conventions. Thus, the same guy that knows that the apparent changeability of nature can’t be trusted and hide deep and complex patterns, will adopt a completely different, and borderline pseudo-scientific, attitude when the subject is games. Just because you see different cRPGs, that have more focus on particular aspects of gameplay, that doesn’t mean they’re not the same thing at the core. Just because you see different hardcore players, with different tastes about setting, amount of C&C or combat, doesn’t mean they’re not hardcore players at the core. You will need a considerable theoretic effort to establish that the superficial differences among cRPGs represents a deep difference at the fundamental level. Assuming they’re not the same thing because they look different is lazy thinking, because the subject is abstract and involves more than meets the eye.

All games have similarities at their core. Why don't you be specific as to what distinguishes Underrail, Age of Decadence, SitS, Eisenwald, and Xulima from the financially successful games such as Wastelands 2, Shadowrun Returns, Legend of Grimrock, etc. from a gameplay, rather than marketing, level?

“Pillars of Eternity” raised over $4.5M on kickstarter, and had a team of known names of the industry. “Wasteland 2” raised over $3M in kickstarter and paypal, has a known veteran of the industry, etc. “Shadowrun Returns” almost $2M and Jordan Weisman name behind the project. “Legend of Grimrock” made by a small team of veterans and has eye candid graphics. So, the successful cRPGs you mentioned all have developers that are small celebrities and exceptional funding from kickstarter - the only exception being “Grimrock”, because it raised considerable less, but this is compensated by the graphics. What you forgot to mention, is that these success don’t have half of the complexity of “Age of Decadence”, “Underrail” and “Serpents”. So, let me repeat that again, numbers in sales are not reliable indicators of quality.

Which is why one of my suggestions is to get industry veterans involved, and I made no comment about "quality" as that is fairly subjective.

Niche of the niche indie games like “Undertale”, on the other hand, are a different beast entirely. They’re moved by the same hipster culture that helped to promote games like “Braid”, etc. When a lot of people are talking about a game that is super cheap, you attract buyers that are not gamers, and gamers who buy in the impulse. To talk about this experiment in comparison with proper cRPGs makes no sense.

It does make sense, because CRPGs don't need to be priced at 3x the $. Ever thought of a different business model? Episodic release? And for every comment made here about how "hipster" games such as Braid and Undertale are, I could find a similar one from before their release saying how the industry has no room for such games, because the dumb-arse masses will only consume games such as FIFA and Call of Duty.

That is if you consider success the amount of sales of “Pillars of Eternity” and “Wasteland 2”, which is an unfair comparison, whether in terms of money in funding, the size of the teams behind them or the fact they’re not veterans of the industry, but first timers. On the other hand, if you consider that this begin as part-time hobby, made by four people (three first timers) and sold more than 32k units for a good price, then that could be considerate a success, especially if you consider that the game is actually great.

Again, I don't know how Vince manages to stay in the business with 10+ years of development time for one title, but that's also why I'm not telling him to leave it. Whatever works, works, but what's cool about having sales data from tools such as steamspy is that you can start analyzing what sells, and what doesn't, at a commercial level beyond the old "AAA eye candy sells; dumb masses can't understand any other style."

There a lot of games with one or two endings. That is fluffy choice and consequence that give the players the illusion that they’re making meaningful choices. The developers can implement this in two days, no big deal. Systematized reactivity, on the other hand, is much harder to achieve and will consume all your resources. If you consider the amount of gameplay that additional choices and consequences represents in “Age of Decadence”, the game is huge.

See, my goal for bringing up the choices & consequences angle is that mainstream gaming is promoting the concept, so by that logic, there's no reason why any game that advertises its choices and consequences should be considered niche. You're not niche for following the mainstream buzz word.

Three arcade games whose combat can be encapsulated in one sentence: dodge and hit, dodge and hit. That is not hard in my dictionary, even if you evaluate their difficult in terms of reflex. I bet that a lot of Atari games are harder than them. The fact the only games with hard combat that sold more are arcade games just reinforced my other point: causal and console gamers don’t have the patience to dwell on a complex character building or combat systems. They want a sword to kill things and feel powerful.

See my response to Vince.

Well, people are not afraid of stat sheets when stat sheets are fluffy, because they like to have the illusion of character building. But when the stats really matter and you pay for your mistakes, causals hate. If a poorly made character died every time in Oblivion, players would hate the game to no end, it would sell shit. I’m pretty sure that most jRPGs don’t have stats either, at least that’s my memory tell me regarding jRPGs in consoles.

So what you're saying is, people are fine with reloading twenty times to beat an area in Dark Souls, but they're not fine with reloading once after realizing the character they built is shit?

That logic is inexplicable to me.

Unless your game does bait and switch - ie you put the player in a position where, after dozens of hours spent in the game, he has to reload because he built his character incorrectly even though there was no indication he did so in the beginning - I don't think anyone has an issue with having to experiment with character builds before settling on one, as that's what people do ALL THE TIME in MMORPGs.

What people DO hate, mind you, is *lack of fairness* - ie a character building system where you don't know what you need to do to succeed because it's all tied to the content and afterthought, as opposed to the logic of the system. I actually am in agreement with the "masses" on this - a game should never be designed such that you need to run through it once in order to know what character works and what doesn't. That's meta-gaming to me, and I'm not a fan of required meta-gaming.

Again, few people care provided that they don’t get in the way of the awesomus exploration and your attempts to kill things. But if you die because you failed a skill or stat check, yea, that piss people off, because they want to feel like Conan, the killer.

From what I remember, that happened a lot in Baldur's Gate from traps - and Pillars of Eternity from quick time events. Didn't affect their sales.

Only players that are niche of niche debate about these things. These players bought the game and like it. It’s a skill system without levels and simple math, no big deal.

I disagree at the level of marketing. Yes, most CRPG systems can be adapted to and dealt with, even bad ones. But when deciding what to buy, people will make such decisions on the basis of ruleset.

The setting was marketed to no end in interviews, the trailer, etc. It is one its main strengths and attracted a lot of players.

Age of Decadence is not the only game I'm talking about here. I could go into specifics about why I think Age of Decadence's setting isn't appealing, but I was primarily targeting the other games on the list with this comment.

On the contrary, one of the main deterrents was the innovations. Players hated the teleporting, hated being conned by NPCs and most of them criticized the game for being short, because they couldn’t understand how deep the reactivity was.

Eh, not every new idea is going to work, but at the minimum, it gets people to try out your game who would otherwise not. Age of Decadence is not the worst selling game on the list, and its marketing campaign didn't actually stress the innovation as much as it tried to stress the "hardcore RPG" angle, which is its own problem.

Also, the innovation I'm thinking about is of a much larger scale - one that is capable of being marketed as a stand-out.

You know how ITS could make millions following the example of “Undertale”, the supreme masterpiece of roleplaying game? Focusing on weeaboo aesthetics and the SJW crown. That is a not brainer. I even have the title for their next game: “Age of Inclusiveness, the redemption of the social justice warrior”. It’s all worked out. He doesn’t have to pay for marketing and small SJW celebrities and their acolytes will take care of that. I have a list of names here from tbmlr and facebook. Hey Vault Dweller, when you and your crew are millionaries because of my advice, and you are all in Hawaii drinking cocktails and shit, at least send me a postcard, would you?

I know you're being facetious, but as much disdain as people might have of the weeaboo crowd, they move units, and it takes a, uh, "special" sort of person to create those games. I don't think ITS can be trusted to produce a weeaboo game. They're best off sticking to "hardcore RPGs," but hopefully with lessons learned instead of the attitude espoused by Eyestabber.

Last edited:

Azarkon

Arcane
People can accept hard when it's tied to their hand-eye coordination, not when it's TB, characters' skills, figuring out how to beat the odds stacked against you.

Icewind Dale?

Hard... TB... Icewind Dale?!?

:hahyou:

Icewind Dale was pretty hard for people who did not understand D&D. Age of Decadence is pretty hard for people who do not understand its game system. Both games are quite easy once you do understand the underlying system and its mechanics, and what to expect from encounters. That's the nature of stats-based systems because they substitute knowledge for hand-eye coordination.

But fine, Icewind Dale wasn't turn-based, so replace it with Fallout. Remember that game?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Shut up, man! Systems proven to work? Pfah. They all suck! Because THAC0! And because hardcounters! And because... because REASONS!
Trash choices are bullshit. Bullshit, I tell you! I want all my choices to be valid. A muscle Wizard? An intellectual barbarian? Beating the game naked? WHY NOT?

Azarkon

Arcane
Even besides the Pillars of Eternity jabs, it doesn't taking a genius to understand that:

1. Using an existing ruleset allows you to draw in the existing fans of that ruleset, which for popular rulesets could be in the millions, though obviously only a subset would buy CRPGs.

2. Not every new CRPG needs to have its own fucking ruleset, especially when your ruleset is just a slight twist on all that's come before it.

When I look at a game to see whether I'm going to buy it, there's no way for me to tell whether I'm going to enjoy the gameplay just from reading the descriptions & looking at screenshots & videos, because in stats-based games that's all contingent on the ruleset.

A demo, as in Age of Decadence's case, helps, but even that doesn't show the higher level mechanics of the ruleset especially for fantasy games with magic.

But you know what makes it an easy decision? Knowing that your game is a faithful reproduction of an existing ruleset that I enjoy.

Azarkon

Arcane
But even in case you're not going to use an existing setting, you should, at the minimum, make the effort to create a setting that isn't just a pale imitation of an existing setting. Nobody cares about generic-medieval-European-fantasy-setting-195251 and generic-post-apocalyptic-grimdark-setting-99582...
This doesn't seem to be true as far as I can tell - I've seen a lot of lamenting that anything that doesn't fit into those generic categories (Tolkien, Europe, Generic Sci-Fantasy and Post-Apoc) take a hit in sales - if you try to make an RPG inspired by say Feudal China or Medieval India, you might as well be committing financial suicide.

I'm certain AoD probably took a hit for choosing "Rome inspired" as its setting because it doesn't fit nicely into a category

That's AAA logic, but I don't think it's the case for indie games. I haven't seen many games based on medieval India/feudal China, and indeed Western audiences might have difficulty with the cultural background of such games, but I have seen plenty of games based on unique settings succeed. It also changes with time. Back in the 90s, you'd probably fail making a game outside of the popular settings because people couldn't get enough of them. But today, medieval European fantasy has been so overdone that you'd be hard pressed to stand out unless you had a different take. The Witcher is a decent example, as it's based on Eastern European fairy tales rather than Tolkien and D&D, which makes it refreshing even though it's technically still medieval European fantasy.

Last edited:

Azarkon

Arcane
Azarkon was talking about what would boost sales, not necessarily what would make for a better game or business practice. I suppose the ideal is managing to make the game look attractive to people who weren't going to D1P it anyway but refrain from resorting to Felicia Day cameo DLC whoring.

The ideal would be to find a compromise between making shallow AAA games and complaining on the Codex about how there's no market for hardcore CRPGs and so your company has to switch to making poppamole games. That's what started this whole "debate" - because the latest round of "hardcore RPGs" sold so poorly that their developers are literally making for the door.

My argument, following Jasede's and those of many others, is that there IS a market for "hardcore RPGs," but your game isn't necessarily appealing to that market because of X, Y, and Z. You don't have to sacrifice basic goals such as turn-based combat and choices & consequences to be successful, and in fact I'm pretty sure that, many of these games would've failed regardless of whether they had turn-based combat/choices & consequences. Don't believe me? Then go and make a poppamole game with action combat and linear corridors, and see how well it sells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom