Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avowed/Pillars of Eternity

motherfucker

Educated
nice blog faggot

Diggfinger

Arcane
Appreciate the responses.
Thank you to all who offered their opinions!

The emoji responses to my original post didn’t bode well at first (and I did realize, only after posting, that I actually vaguely remember PoE being a bit of a punching bag/meme here and largely disliked), but nice to see some say they like them!

The reasons both camps give, however, seem rather equal to me in potential validity as reasons to either play them or skip them so I’m still not quite sure if I will or not. I think it will take hearing about a specific element that pushes me over into being sold or one that is the opposite and a deal breaker.

I am curious, though…

I know both are Obsidian, but is it largely the exact same people from the studio who made Outer Worlds that are making Avowed? Because, while I didn’t play Outer Worlds, it looked like the most derivative, trend-chasing, retro futurism game #69,666, with Borderlands-level character designs, awful dialogue and attitude, and (while I’m not certain) likely forced identity politics shit from our world (the opposite of escapism) and shallow pseudo-RPG features and missed opportunies for more immersive sim-like systems or any depth whatsoever. And wasn’t it even written by some serious heavyweights who have done great stuff prior? Are any of my assumptions about the game right despite me having not played it?

If so, and if the exact same people (not other people at Obsidian) are making Avowed, then consider me worried, too. It just looked cool to me and I was eager to play it and have a new multi-game/genre world to get into, but multiple folks on here describe Pillars’ word as bland, which is the opposite of what an RPG’s world should be, unless it’s some purposeful choice in some dystopian, urban, brutalist, grey, totalitarian sci-fi or something. But fantasy shouldn’t be bland…

Just wait for a sale, both games regularly have huge discounts both on GOG and Steam

i have never been as uninterested in a videogame as i've been with avowed, and the previews just make me less and less interested on it

be thankful we never got arcanum 2

I have that reaction with just about every AAA RPG these days. It's like anti-marketing - the more you know the less you want it.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Pillars 2 is also the best looking isometric game currently on the market.
Have to agree, its pretty gorgeous. Hard to find true isometric game that looks on that level. Maybe Beautiful Desolation but its not an RPG.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Imagine releasing this after Dragon's Dogma 2 and Kingdom Come 2
I think they hoped they'll have late 2024 slot when their only competition would he DA4 which honestly will probably be worse than Avowed(note they still haven't shown any gameplay of da4, that tells you all you need to know)

But we know that Dreadwolf is a third person action game, they (EA and Bioware) are confident that such games are popular and easy to sell which is not completely wrong. Avowed is a first person action game and the market for that is way, way more limited. If Avowed can be sold as a medieval New Vegas it would have been an easy game to sell, but alas Obsidian wants to make it clear that Avowed's NOT that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom