Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avowed/Pillars of Eternity

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Avowed will likely be worse than PoE 1&2. So if you are interested in the setting you should check the old games instead.

ColonelMace

Novice
Give PoE a try, lad.
If you end up liking its pros more than you'd detest its cons, you got a solid 80hrs long swashbuckling adventure ahead.
If not, your first hand knowledge of the crpg genre will have expanded at least a little.
It's a win-win scenario mon ami.

And, when you actually consider it, this specific flavour of hack n slash that PoE belongs to isn't exactly that common in this day and age. Most of them belong to the 80s or 90s.

Give PoE a try, lad.
If you end up liking its pros more than you'd detest its cons, you got a solid 80hrs long swashbuckling adventure ahead.
If not, your first hand knowledge of the crpg genre will have expanded at least a little.
It's a win-win scenario mon ami.

And, when you actually consider it, this specific flavour of hack n slash that PoE belongs to isn't exactly that common in this day and age. Most of them belong to the 80s or 90s.

I like your chalice-half-full perspective on it, friend!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Visually, Avowed doesn't even look like Pillars unless less i'm missing something here.

behold_a_man

Educated
If you hate PoE, feel free to tell me why.
Do you hate an empty sheet of paper? It's not just that Pillars are bad, it's that there is nothing interesting there; up until the expansions, there was not a single interesting mechanic, no captivating story (the game would probably be better with no writing at all), no grueling combat (the inability to implement a proper Real Time with Pause system didn't help either), no rewarding character development, no choices with heavy gameplay consequences, no mesmerizing audiovisuals, no nothing. Everything I saw was already present in the same form in some previous RPGs; there was not even a hint at originality. And, while the expansion did add some mildly interesting features (like weapons with abilities unlocked by use), it wasn't enough to make the game good. You'd probably have a better time picking any other game from the Top 101.

Visually, Avowed doesn't even look like Pillars unless less i'm missing something here.

I had actually only seen the announcement trailer and read about the plans for the game when I made this thread. Just saw the “Gameplay Trailer” and, honestly, it looks a LOT like Underworld: Ascendant and that is NOT a compliment.

It looks very cheap compared to even the “barely anything” few seconds of the announcement trailer, which, sure, also looked early stages, but far more realistic. It looked like a modern graphics version of Arx Fatalis or Hexen from the announcement trailer and THAT’s what had me intrigued. The gameplay one looks very removed from what got me interested in the first place.

……Well, shit.

NotSweeper

Educated
I used to be excited for Avowed, not to play it mind you, but watching the dumpster fire unfold on release.
Then I realized, is there even a point in picking on Obsidian nowadays? After PoE, Outer Worlds and Pentiment, it feels like picking on the special ed kid. It's no longer fun, it's just sad at this point.
I’m a bit interested in this game, Avowed, that’s yet to come out.
I wish you niggers would stop using alts to rage bait me.

Beans00

Erudite
The emoji responses to my original post didn’t bode well at first (and I did realize, only after posting, that I actually vaguely remember PoE being a bit of a punching bag/meme here and largely disliked), but nice to see some say they like them!

Probably less than 10% of the forum likes pillars here. As games they legitimately aren't the worst thing I have ever played. However considering the budget, promises, pandering to the IE crowd. They are pathetic efforts on the part of the devs as a whole.

I will not be playing avowed unless I get it for free in the gift thread. Obsidian is a highly incompetent company, and has only become more incompetent with time.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Pillars 1 and 2 are some of the best RPGs you can play. Forget the edgy morons here, give the games a try.
Pillars 2 is also the best looking isometric game currently on the market.
Ive played a lot of RPGs over the years and PoE1 and 2 are in the Top 10 easily.

Kruyurk

Learned
PoE 1 first quest is to collect berries to cure your soul-induced diarrhea. And the game just keeps getting better after that, with fampyrs and all.

Just play in Path of the PotD difficulty so that dialogues are not your only mortal enemies.

Vulpes

Scholar
Pillars of Eternity has got to be one of the worst fantasy worlds ever created. It's hard to believe it isn't intentional. If I didn't know better, I'd assume that current Bethesda was behind the worldbuilding. The most "creative" parts of it are the Polynesian fish people (that kinda look like niggers) and a 1:1 copy of the Venetian Republic but with all of the Italians replaced with fucking niggers.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The quality of the POE games will vary depending on who you ask. I think the consensus in Codex is that they're boring while the mainstream one is that they're boring but competent.

However, Avowed looks really bad and it's supposed to release this year.

Modern game + "Narrative" + bad graphics + floaty combat = oof.

Last edited:

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Gotta give it a chance. If it improves on Outer Worlds and does better with depth than Skyrim then it'll be worth a play. Never know, they might punch out a Morrowind. It isn't likely, of course, but I still want to be surprised.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
POE 1 was deeply boring, set basically after all of the interesting things had taken place... its greatest strength being not the game itself but the expansions which were actually pretty solid.

POE 2 was prettier, better from a tech standpoint, and (probably) had better mechanics, but also had a shit-tier plot, and bargain basement level companion writing from Obsidian's stable of awful, Tumblrite writers (at least several of whom went on to shit the bed with Outer Worlds).

Avowed will suck.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
POE 1 was deeply boring, set basically after all of the interesting things had taken place...

Seriously. I don't know what they were thinking, having the Godhammer as a backstory. They could've had a low level introductory campaign with a normal fantasy setting Eora - basically Forgotten Realms with black powder firearms. Maybe something weird happens at the end of the first act, resulting in the dispute between the Gods or perhaps showing the rise of St. Waidwen. The final act would culminate in detonating the Godhammer and would be epic as hell.

If there was a sequel or post-campaign DLC, they could start getting into like: What? We blew up a god? For real? What does that mean...?

And then you could start getting into the PoE 1 stuff with it properly grounded and not needing to rely on encyclopaedic wiki dumps of lore that are boring af. It'd also ensure that people are invested in the setting and maybe asking: Hey, what's the deal with the gods anyway?

Instead of the shipped PoE campaign which is like: Uh... that's kinda cool, I guess. That's just the way this world is I suppose. Whatever.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Pillars legit has some of the worst design decisions in CRPG history, such as Endurance or 0 exp

It also has the worst lore/world I have ever seen

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
such as Endurance or 0 exp
I hate no-experience in tabletop where the DM arbitrarily says when we level up. It works, even if it's displeasing.
But you either have xp or not. To have 0 xp for kills was absolutely infuriating.
They could give level ups based on other progression, e.g. reach Defiance Bay = level up. That is, if they signed letters like "I, Soyer, admit being an incompetent designer, please accept my sincerest apologies."

Beans00

Erudite
such as Endurance or 0 exp
I hate no-experience in tabletop where the DM arbitrarily says when we level up. It works, even if it's displeasing.
But you either have xp or not. To have 0 xp for kills was absolutely infuriating.
They could give level ups based on other progression, e.g. reach Defiance Bay = level up. That is, if they signed letters like "I, Soyer, admit being an incompetent designer, please accept my sincerest apologies."

It's a control freak thing a lot of autistic people have.

Hydro

Educated
PoE — lame combat, too many active abilities to track, leveling is uninspiring and boring, walls of boring lore, boring companions, pretentious writing.
White marsh or whatever it called — endless filler fights.

On the pros they have good art and overall look really good.

Litmanen

Educated
literally Oblivion with guns
avowed-first-person-firearms.jpg
Pretty sure it will be even worse than Oblivion (yeah, bar isn't high, I know).
These guys made The Outer Worlds - abandon all hope, Obsidian is finished.
Never played Oblivion but I liked the atmosphere and several things in Morrowind (that I never finished in 10 times I've tried to play it).

And I liked PoE 1, a lot. Even if i don't put it in the top 10 maybe of my RPGs.

Then I played The Outer Worlds and... yeah. Morrowind was 100 times better. The Outer Worlds was one of my shallowest experience EVER. Pre-announced by Fallout New Vegas (That I played after TOW).

The decline in their games is evident.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom