Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
MS is also terrible at managing their studios, pretty much a match made in heaven.
The new Microsoft has the opposite problem devs have traditionally had with publishers in that they've been completely hands-off with their acquisitions. Though as I recall they did have to appoint an official babysitter to Obsidian when Urquhart/Parker meddling demanded an intervention.
iirc they've started being more involved after Redfall.

Microsoft used to meddle too much, realized that didn't work and adopted a hands-off approach. They then realized that also didn't work and have been trying a more middle ground method.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Will have in depth character building or be antoehr barbie dressing game where your char is nothing and hsi gear everything? Can I play as a cipher?
I'd be really disappointed you couldn't play as a cipher too, the extra cipher options were something I thought PoE did well, it would be crazy to throw away one of the few things that differentiated the setting a bit

Gandalf

Arbiter
How in hell JS is not working on this? He did Pillars and NV, so one would say he got perfect experience for this kind of game.

Readher

Savant
I saw plenty of people defending the game by saying its AA and that its better for Obsidian to focus on small scale games instead of spending more than half a decade to develop a truly AAA title. If the game was on dev hell then its a huge fail for Obsidian as any problems are due to pure incompetence.

I wonder what MS will do if (when?) the game flops.
They always use that excuse, but then the game costs $60/$70 like an AAA game. Same with basement budget japslop. You ask for AAA money, you'll be judged as and compared to AAA games, simple as. The only exception I allow are extremely niche games with complex mechanics which fail at AAA presentation level, e.g. Gary Grigsby's war games.

sosmoflux

Educated
This looks like utterly miserable slop created by millennials that are more passionate about craft beer and flavour of the month politics than videogames.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Will have in depth character building or be antoehr barbie dressing game where your char is nothing and hsi gear everything? Can I play as a cipher?
I'd be really disappointed you couldn't play as a cipher too, the extra cipher options were something I thought PoE did well, it would be crazy to throw away one of the few things that differentiated the setting a bit

Yep. Their normal wizard is just a very nerfed evoker. Cipher in other hands was very interesting and unique. I will only buy this game if I can play as one or at least a watershaper.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is the least of its problems but Pillars' American English voiceacting has always sounded very out of place. Give me back BG2's VO. But of course those voice actors are largely not accessible.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
to delete negative comments on the video there were tons.

This may be, but all the top comments were positive when I looked at them.

Same for most corporate videos on YouTube. The same YouTube that deleted the dislike button.

Makes you think.
Nowadays YouTube comment ordering heavily favors positive comments regardless of the video. There is also some personalization there and the system shadowhides comments very aggressively.

It's quite annoying.
They seem to know what they are doing with the reupload. The comments are now all shills and sheep as far as the eye can see.

ArchAngel

Arcane
How in hell JS is not working on this? He did Pillars and NV, so one would say he got perfect experience for this kind of game.
He is too busy focusing on his new career of being a twitch/youtube game streamer.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
judging by the footage i'm going to assume dark messiah of kick and magick is still going to be the undefeated champion of first person melee combat.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
iirc they've started being more involved after Redfall.
At their Zenimax studios that is. Same reason why Starfield was bug tested to death before it went out.

Edit: Just saw the new clip. You'd think these people never played Skyrim considering how they're talking about their 'exciting' combat features, like combining spells in one hand with a weapon in the other. Also, the melee combat looks flimsy is hell, even Skyrim combat felt more impactful.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
I wonder what MS will do if (when?) the game flops.

That'll be when Josh Sawyer steps back into the arena with a BG3 clone pitch.

:balance: "Just as planned. "
Been enjoying Pillars of Eternity 1 recently, I can't say the same about Pillars 2 though... So no matter how Avowed turns out it's still gonna be a win for me (if it's decent I gonna try it out, if it is doing real bad quality-wise and/or commercial-wise then I may get a turn-based Pillars of Eternity 3 down the road), nice! Will watch this project with interest from now on.

Gargaune

Magister
Like... is dual wielding wands really the coolest thing they could come up with?
i-m9QXS4N-O.jpg

scytheavatar

Scholar

He got mindbroken from the failure of POE2, doesn't want to work on games on large scale anymore. At least that was until Baldur's Gate 3's success, now he's trying to fish for that last paycheck seemingly.

Old Hans

Arcane
The comments are now all shills and sheep as far as the eye can see.
i was shocked how blatant the astroturfing was in the comments. it was basically

ObsidionFan9973004 says "I was already a massive fan of all Obsidian Role-Playing games and Avowed looks even better and its in full 3D! I plan on buying ten copies"

DeepOcean

Arcane
I remember when most good designers and writers from Obsidian left the company before Outer Worlds, the standard coping theory of Obsidian fanboys on how that wasnt a bad deal was that the new hires would learn and you could always hire good people, well... I dunno what Feargus did with Microcock's money but for sure wasnt training the new hires and hiring good people.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I remember when most good designers and writers from Obsidian left the company before Outer Worlds, the standard coping theory of Obsidian fanboys on how that wasnt a bad deal was that the new hires would learn and you could always hire good people, well... I dunno what Feargus did with Microcock's money but for sure wasnt training the new hires and hiring good people.
Hah, I have missed that one!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom