Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

notpl

Arbiter
For some users on this forum, it's like "Ignore your lying eyes, it is and always will be 2011." Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity didn't turn out as good as they wanted them to be back in 2014-2015 and that's it, RPGs are dead.

I think for some it's a way of coping with not having enough time for video games anymore, which I can sympathize with.
And for you, anything that calls itself an RPG must be one. Your point?

Post-op trans RPGs are real RPGs...

-EDIT-

Haven't really followed Avowed closely, is there anything worthwhile out there (release date, gameplay videos, ect)?
Still no real info available whatsoever.

Efe

Erudite
you may even enjoy the ones on bottom left, so long as you dont mention it too much (at least publicly)
I google basebuilding rts 2023 and first video is "New RTS & base building games in 2023 keeping the strategy genre alive"
do really none of these scratch ur itch?
I see dominion 5 on the bottom left, no shame in mentioning you like that at all, it's far more complex and superior game to most right side stuff. Whole poll is just a big joke to entertain codexers.
now that you mention it, this chart is only top/bottom right since it starts at %50 positive votes

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
For some users on this forum, it's like "Ignore your lying eyes, it is and always will be 2011." Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity didn't turn out as good as they wanted them to be back in 2014-2015 and that's it, RPGs are dead.

I think for some it's a way of coping with not having enough time for video games anymore, which I can sympathize with.
"My personal life is bad, and this is caused by the general badness everywhere and not my fault" - the nerds

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A ton of RPGs are released every year now on average compared to the dry years of the late 00s-early-10s. :roll:
4ea.jpg

If only 10% of them were good...

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fact that you mentioned Kenshi shows that it's really ogre. Game looks so ugly and bland.
All I did was install a shader pack, and Kenshi actually looks fucking great. It's another example of a game where it is difficult to get into the aesthetics/visuals and gameplay, but once you do, stands out as an amazing experience. If you can manage to get into it, you'll see exactly what I mean.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The fact that you mentioned Kenshi shows that it's really ogre. Game looks so ugly and bland.
All I did was install a shader pack, and Kenshi actually looks fucking great. It's another example of a game where it is difficult to get into the aesthetics/visuals and gameplay, but once you do, stands out as an amazing experience. If you can manage to get into it, you'll see exactly what I mean.
Is it the one that makes it look like Borderlands?
534-1580835773-1414740195.jpeg

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Is it the one that makes it look like Borderlands?
534-1580835773-1414740195.jpeg
No although that looks cool.
uvzbmj1nuns51.png

ez29nh5aobt51.png

maxresdefault.jpg
One day I'll take some of my own, as there is plenty of potential for some great shots.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
I literally loaded up my game and took a quick screenshot just to prove how nice the game can look.
ex8MlJ0.jpg
I think this looks quite good already and it looks even better in game.

Dr1f7

Scholar

And for you, anything that calls itself an RPG must be one. Your point?

Post-op trans RPGs are real RPGs...

-EDIT-

Haven't really followed Avowed closely, is there anything worthwhile out there (release date, gameplay videos, ect)?
probably takes some time to write 1000 pages of exposition dump per npc

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Can you name or link the shader pack you're using?
Tsuki V2. I know next to nothing about shaders so I've barely touched the settings. I'm sure someone more adept could make the game look even nicer.
https://www.nexusmods.com/kenshi/mods/217
You need to download ReShade and install the shaderpack through that. Just to note, I have an RX 6800 and I'm running the game at 1440p. I get around 90 FPS with most of the base settings set to high. Game is memory hungry and can be a bit intensive for certain GPUs.

Fearlessjay

Novice
I keep meaning to play Kenshi. There are plenty of decent RPGs out there. The problem Avowed will always have is MS brought Obsidian to have their own version of Elder Scrolls. Then they brought Bethesda so now Obsidian are a total waste of money as you actually own what you always wanted. Obsidian are a total shadow of what they once were. Feargus wanted some retirement money and has it now. Sadly there is no real talent left there, no matter how many shite budget games like Penitent they release (Gaming has never seen such an amazing concept of a game released by a RPG studio that looks like it was made by a guy in garage, thank god for Gamepass). No one cares about Avowed. Even the studio making it. And I liked POA.

Delterius

Arcane

Fearlessjay

Novice
I'm not really into Multiplayer so haven't tried Grounded. It does look interesting though. Obsidian used to be known for well written buggy games. Kotor 2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas and MotB were good games that excelled with the quality of writing they contained. Now they are lucky that MS brought Double Fine or else they would have to be the worst investment they ever made. Avowed is game based on a series that they killed off with a dumbed down sequel that made some huge mistakes. If MS had any sense they would repurpose it into a Elder Scrolls legends type game. It also looks like the type of game that Arcane studios would be a lot better suited to. The other big game they are making, the Outer Worlds 2, is going to destroyed by Starfield no matter what you think of Bethesda. I don't think anyone liked the first one. Sensible thing to do would be to cancel it and do a Fallout spin off. I get that you need to hire Quota's, and can't really expect them to design levels or code so they end up writing the endless banal crap we're getting today, but it is sad what's happened to Obsidian. Inxile might not have released any great games but at least they seem to care. Then I'm just hoping their Arcanum type game is good.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Hope they are all doing 'side quests' and there is no main narrative. Just give me a comfy fantasy setting, let me explore and immerse and murder. Thats all I want from a first person game. I rarely went up the mountain to the beards in skyrim.
ha ha you think the 'feargusian skyrim killer' is gonna avoid one of bethesda's recurrent mistakes (which normal people don't mind)
I inwardly wish for better days where they do what I ask of them. And optimism returns forth.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
A ton of RPGs are released every year now on average compared to the dry years of the late 00s-early-10s. :roll:

Yes and almost none of them are even worth glancing at. Garbage in, garbage out.
17611.jpg

If all the 16 well-received big titles in the upper right quadrant and the whole mess of niche-but-well-received titles in the lower right leave you cold, then it's time to accept that you're just too old to like anything now.
Why on earth in Dominions 5 so low-rated in this poll? It's THE leading fantasy strategy game by a mile for mechanical depth, while being respectable in terms of sprite art and lore besides.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why on earth in Dominions 5 so low-rated in this poll? It's THE leading fantasy strategy game by a mile for mechanical depth, while being respectable in terms of sprite art and lore besides.
Because mechanical depth alone doesn't translate well into being a great game.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game, but
A) it's mostly a MP game - which could be easily fixed with just the most basic diplomacy (simple stuff like basic war/peace/trade diplomacy) but that feature hasn't been added in a decade
B) needing to study a bible-sized manual that's not even accessible within the game just to get the basics of gameplay is not the way to do games anymore
C) the UI. Dear lord, the UI....

As a game, Conquest Of Elysium trumps Dominions by a mile even if it is more shallow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom