Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Avowed Extended Gameplay Breakdown with Carrie Patel and Gabe Paramo

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Avowed; Carrie Patel; Obsidian Entertainment

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/01/22/avowed-developer-direct-side-quest-deep-dive/

At the recent Xbox Developer_Direct 2024 broadcast, Obsidian Entertainment shared its most comprehensive look yet at its upcoming fantasy-action RPG, Avowed.

But even that only scratched at the surface of what’s coming your way this fall. On today’s special episode of The Official Xbox Podcast, Avowed Game Director Carrie Patel and Gameplay Director Gabe Paramo shared an extended look at the quest showcased during Developer_Direct, providing more detail on the moment-to-moment experience of the flexible combat system, and where this side quest fits in the larger narrative of Avowed.

This latest look at Avowed gives us a good idea of what to expect from Shatterscarp, one part of the ecologically diverse island of The Living Lands, all in the same universe as Obsidian’s CRPG series Pillars of Eternity. But what makes Avowed a very ‘Obsidian game’ goes far beyond the commonality of setting in the world of Eora.

“It’s really about our player-centric approach to role play,” Patel shared during this week’s Podcast. “The way we really approach consequence and choice is giving players the opportunities to define who they are in this world, how they want to behave – what fantasy, what challenges they want to undertake.”

It’s all part of Obsidian’s “your worlds, your way” approach, and players will feel the weight of their choices moment-to-moment with every slash, parry, and spell cast.

What stands out is not just the variety of ways you can tackle combat – examples include the classic ‘sword and board [shield]’, samurai-esque sword and gun, and dual-wielding wands like a wizard in the Old West – but also how you’ll frequently want to (or need to) change your loadout to best suit what you find yourself up against. These loadouts are also complemented by skills, and Obsidian had a deep well of moves to pull from out of the Pillars of Eternity universe.

“We wanted to be able to grab as many abilities from the trees as possible – and categorize them a little bit differently so that the player doesn‘t feel locked into a single choice at the start of the game,” said Gabe Paramo, Gameplay Director. “They can mix and match between different abilities to get some variety. You can commit to being a fighter, but it’s not an enforced class setup.” And if you want to try out a new suite of abilities, you can always respec your character.

We saw great examples of this in the Developer_Direct: dual-wielding wands served as effective crowd control when a group of smaller Xaurips swarmed the player. But in a more one-on-one encounter with a slightly larger enemy, using an ice-imbued wand to freeze an enemy, then shattering the newly-frozen block with a charged power attack of an off-hand sword was supremely effective.

Paramo cited another devious combo: “With ‘Into the Fray,’ you can use a fireball ability that creates an AOE [area of effect] ability on the ground, and then pull the enemy into the fire.”

It’s all part of a comprehensive elemental system that comes into play both in and out of combat. Paramo continues, “you can light guys on fire, you can freeze them, you can shock them, you have objects in the environment you can interact with. They’re not just on weapons, on wands – you might find it on swords, certain abilities might cause elemental damage. And your companions [can] as well.”​

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Sshill.png

glencoco

Barely Literate
The wand and flintlock need more umph!

Watch Russell Crowe fire a couple of shots in Master and Commander and check out the Dishonored pistol. Could be a whole lot cooler than just hitscan with a tiny smoke effect (7:22).

Also, the cinematic spellcasting (20:29, 20:42) could get annoying depending how often you can cast those spells.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
The first game was called "Pilows" for a reason. I'm not surprised that they never wanted to go in this direction (especially after the success of their "funny" New Vegas-rip-off-in-space).

FunAppreciator

Barely Literate
Combat: third-rate-MMO-tier
Aesthetics: sub-Andromeda-tier
Dialogues: total-brain-necrosis-tier

I am very offended by the sensless slaughter of the little scaled soybolds. I fucking hate that everything is about walking around killing shit without any sense or reason. Game sure seems like it will focus on """exploration""" and killing trash mobs (which is very cruel). Of course the current generation of game devs are incapable of realising they are making a single-player MMO. The decline spiral continues.

Suger

Literate
The combat looks very boring and, while hard to say without the controller in hand, it doesn't seem like you get much feedback from hitting the ennemies. It's just Skyrim 2.

One thing that still strikes me, and already did with the previous trailers, are the colors, they look way too bright. The elements such as mushrooms and plants stand out too much from everything else, they don't really fit.
Also noticed there is little no shadows on mobs, NPCs, items... lightning doesn't look good at all.

The game will probably be a flop, the casuals will probably talk about it for a week and move on quickly.

Deadyawn

Learned
Watch this mediocre game be propped up by the lukewarm reception to Starfield just like Outer Worlds benefited from Fallout 76.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mediocre is the new good, so maybe this game will be the new mediocre on that scale?

Anyways, gotta say I like how the skeletor-organ-nervesystem-lettuce guy looks in the teaser page of the video, kinda fresh aesthetics, so they have that going for them.

The the game footage itself I dunno about because didn't bother to watch the video.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Me and blue boi vs a fungi bear?

The bear is all yours blue boi….. I have trash mob rats to kill. Have fun getting diseased with your bear freaky sexcapades.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom