Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avoiding the Beregost bug in BG1 Easy Tutu.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I've hear about this notorious bug in BG1 if you use easy Tutu. Is there a way around it when using Tutu or am I left to simply "dealing" with it? (Save before entering Beregost, make a save after leaving, re-enter to see if I got the bug)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Annnd it wasn't put on the BG1 fixpack. Fucking modders can't keep the most important projects current.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Have they been able to incorporate the following BG1 elements into BGT when playing BG1:

1. Spawns like the original BG1.
2. Korax works like the original
3. Uses the original BG 1 spells
4. Magic Items (like wands) work exactly like the original

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The bug is not that hard to work along with. Mainly because you might need to enter Beregost like two to four times if you explore it correctly, and second because all it requires is a save prior to entering it and then to quick save and load.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:

I wasn't aware BGT used different spawn mechanics from the original. In any case there's an option for Tutu-style spawns in the BGT-tweakpack.

Don't know what you mean by this. It's probably been 10 years since I played BG1 without the BGT mod, though. What was different about Korax?

I'm 95% sure enemies still only have access to their regular BG1 spell lists unless you install SCS. There's a component in the tweak pack that removes BG2 scrolls.

Probably not.

Rogue

Educated
I was playing TuTu about a year ago I think... Anyway - the game started deteriorating slowly. Sometimes it would crash and I had to reload and it would work again. But after a few times it was completely broken. So I found an utility on the net (forgot which one or where) that supposedly fixes your savegame, it was made specifically for that bug. It did what it was supposed to, because after that everything was fine and I even visited Beregost a few times before finishing the game and it didn't happen again.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Xor said:

Don't know what you mean by this. It's probably been 10 years since I played BG1 without the BGT mod, though. What was different about Korax?

Immunity to petrification. In the original, you could use Korax to rape all the basilisks in that forest area without exposing your party to danger.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Never knew that... I always just animated dead and let my skeletons slowly wear the basilisks down, since they were similarly immune to petrification.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Last when I completed BG1 (which was in the 20th century, come to think of it) I used Korax to kill all the Basilisks. IIRC, I'd have an invisible or stealthed character reveal the basilisk and keep it visible on-screen long enough for me to have Korax attack it. Then i'd withdraw my character far enough away so that only the basilisk would be out of sight, but not Korax. The basilisk would then spam its gaze attack on Korax, who was completely immune, and never use any other attacks on him. Meanwhile he'd wail on them with impunity.

The problems with this was twofold: It took a shitload of time to pull off, and I had to make sure Korax wouldn't turn on me due to "boredom". But since I had no other reliable methods to deal with the basilisks, this is the tactic I ended up using.

In a subsequent replay of BG1 with BGtutu, I was always stopped by the Beregost bug, but I did manage to reach the basilisk area once, and tried to repeat the Korax maneuver. I think Korax managed to kill one Basilisk before being either petrified or curbstomped by them.

I loved Korax's voiceset. Creepy as fuck. The old pervert from Family Guy reminds me of him, for some reason.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You could have just cast protection from petrification on the main tank.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Lyric Suite said:

Yeah that's what I always do. You find a bunch of protection from petrification scrolls, and can easily learn it for your magic user(s).

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
BGT itself doesn't change much, if anything from BG1. Depends on the other mods you install with it.

BGTweaks has several options for spawns and I'm fairly certain it includes "just like BG1"

Yes unless you install SCS. No mod that I know of makes him vulnerable to petrification but the basilisks can kill him in melee. With SCS basilisks switch targets after realizing Korax is immune (or if you have the fighter protected) making the fights either tedious exploiting or fun!

This can be set either through SCS or BGTweaks and you can allow BG2 spells for enemies only or for all or for no-one. You can also specify whether BG2-spells are available as scrolls or not.

What do you mean by this? I haven't played non-Tutu or non-BGT game in ages so can't remember exact details.

Rogue

Educated
Jaesun said:
Lyric Suite said:

Yeah that's what I always do. You find a bunch of protection from petrification scrolls, and can easily learn it for your magic user(s).

This. Failing that you could also summon undead and send the skeletons in first while using ranged weapons. Also there is a ghould nearby I think?

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Indeed. For those who have it, fireball also works surprisingly well, and then there are of course those potions of mirrored eyes for pure melee types without access to spellcasting.

The best thing about Tutu is really the hard times mod. You still become filthy rich eventually, but with hard times enabled you actually have to work for it early on, especially if you have a large party.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I love Item Randomiser. Say good bye to that Ring of Wizardry near the Friendly Arms Inn, as well as a number of the other LOL placed loot drops in the game (it also works with BG II). <3

Thanks Xor and GarfunkeL for answering my question. As for:

GarfunkeL said:

What do you mean by this? I haven't played non-Tutu or non-BGT game in ages so can't remember exact details.

The spawns used to the Wand of Monster Summoning is changed in BG II. IIRC you cannot have the same spawns when using that wand as they were in BG when using TuTu or BGT. I.E. in BG using the wand could summon multiple animals/creatures. In BG II, only 1 monster is summoned.

I don't have a problem with TuTu or BGT, but depending on if I want to just play BG in all it's horrible and broken glory that I remember (pure nostalgia), TuTu and BGT unfortunately change a number of things that really ruin that kind of experience (for me).

Also with Ascension64 stepping down, is anyone continuing his work on BGT-WeiDU?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, at least wands of Monster Summoning still work that way. You can have five "allies" in a battle, so I would cast both animate dead and summon monsters and send the mixture of skeletons and goblin archers into the fray but now that I think about... I seem to remember that you could have more than 5 summoned creatures in BG1... gah, can't remember!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game balance. Because otherwise you could just overwhelm any encounter with dozens of skeletons.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
And that would be wrong because?

Unstoppable skeleton army FTW.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom