Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Avernum 6 Released, Overpowers Macs with Graphical Splendor

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
J1M said:
ElectricOtter said:
AlaCarcuss said:
Why the fuck does he continue to develop his games on a Mac and then port them to Windows - instead of the other way round? Is he a Mac fanboi or somthing? (pretty sad if so).

Or perhaps he just likes using Mac users as beta testers - which is about the only thing they'd be useful for :wink:

Otherwise, the updated engine's looking pretty good....
he uses mac since its a more stable environment for coding

its pretty much the only thing the mac in useful for (besides a handy frisbee)
Failed modder detected.
Fixed.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It is a dungeon crawler. Although concerning the scope of the underworld of Avernum I see it more as an exploration game. They are bloody huge and Vogel manages to hide all sorts of fun places, encounters and goodies in all nooks and crannies. It's not all mazes either. Avernum is a living and breathing world with settlements, forests, mines, wizards towers, swamplands, military forts and the like. He's also one of the very few developers who manage to give his dungeons the feeling that they are more than just a convenient maze with monsters. Personally I just love to explore in games, so Vogel's games are right up my alley.

Elzair

Cipher
micmu said:
Portraits are shit because they've been drawn using Mac.

Huh? Art-fags have been the hardcore Apple zealots since time immemorial!

Elzair

Cipher
Trash said:
It is a dungeon crawler. Although concerning the scope of the underworld of Avernum I see it more as an exploration game. They are bloody huge and Vogel manages to hide all sorts of fun places, encounters and goodies in all nooks and crannies. It's not all mazes either. Avernum is a living and breathing world with settlements, forests, mines, wizards towers, swamplands, military forts and the like. He's also one of the very few developers who manage to give his dungeons the feeling that they are more than just a convenient maze with monsters. Personally I just love to explore in games, so Vogel's games are right up my alley.

So, is it kind of like BG1? Exploring all of Geneforge's areas gave me a feeling similar to exploring all the wilderness areas in Baldur's Gate.

hal900x

Augur
Looking at that screenshot, he just crossed the line from sub-par to par, as far as graphics I'm willing to tolerate for good gameplay. Which makes it a real shame that the PC version is so far away.

AlaCarcuss said:
Why the fuck does he continue to develop his games on a Mac and then port them to Windows - instead of the other way round? Is he a Mac fanboi or somthing? (pretty sad if so).

Or perhaps he just likes using Mac users as beta testers - which is about the only thing they'd be useful for :wink:

Otherwise, the updated engine's looking pretty good....

Because it is starved for games. Astute move in my opinion, as you have a LOT less competition. Any Indie RPG dev should target the platform at least in tandem. Linux version is also a good idea if you can pull 3 ports off.

Trash said:

Agreed. People miss out by writing these games off because of the graphics. They are not the greatest games ever created, but very entertaining RPG's. Even more so in the never ending game drought of the RPG genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom