Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Avernum 4 Screenshots and Release Date

Astromarine

Erudite
Tags: Avernum 4; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

<a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/">Spiderweb Software</a> has just put up a webpage about their latest game, <a href="http://www.avernum.com/avernum4/index.html">Avernum 4</a>. In it, you can find a couple new screenshots of the game's highly modified Geneforge Engine. Also, the newsletter they sent out to announce this has the following information:<blockquote>Q: Does the game use a new engine?
<br>
<br>
A: Avernum 4 uses a HIGHLY modified version of the Geneforge engine. It
<br>
runs at a higher screen resolution, has nicer graphics, and is very
<br>
definitely an Avernum game.
<br>
<br>
Q: Does the game play like Geneforge?
<br>
<br>
A: Nope. It's an Avernum game. It is fully turn-based, and has the
<br>
Avernum game system. <b>People who like Avernum more than Geneforge will
<br>
not be unhappy, I promise.</b>
<br>
<br>
Q: Is it big?
<br>
<br>
A: It's enormous. A gigantic world, almost 200 quests, and as many
<br>
characters and as much dialogue as anything we've ever done.
<br>
<br>
Q: Will it be out soon?
<br>
<br>
A: I sure hope so. If I avoid getting the flu, it should be out for
<br>
Macintosh by Christmas and Windows 2-3 months after that.</blockquote>

Hazelnut

Erudite
Hmmm, I wonder when Jeff decided to move from the "next game will have a new engine" to simply modifying the GF engine. It doesn't look too much different.

Not that I'm that bothered, as long as the game is cool! Higher res will be nice tho.

Chefe

Erudite
Cowabunga dude.

I liked Avernum 3, great game. The new graphics on this one are a good step up. I'll be keeping an eye out for this title.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I don't see any difference in gfx. Not that I care.
The sad part is that the game won't have a Leadership skill influencing dialogue, which was good in GF and imo lacking in the Avernum games (which I played later).

Jed

Cipher
I really enjoy all of Jeff's games, and while I don't really care about the graphics, I do find myself annoyed that he put the Character info on the left rather than leaving it on the right. It wasn't so bad in GF3 since it was significantly smaller, but it just seems really wrong in the A4 screenshots...

I'm sure it'll be good, though.

Chefe

Erudite
Elwro said:
The sad part is that the game won't have a Leadership skill influencing dialogue, which was good in GF and imo lacking in the Avernum games (which I played later).

Avernum 3

Avernum 4

It's not that I care about the graphics, it's that I like how they've slightly evolved.

Elwro

Arcane
Uh, OK, I forgot to say that I was talking about the world-window only. So the difference is a bigger resolution? The models, the world and the lighting seem the same for me.

Psilon

Erudite
Elwro said:

Don't remember where precisely he used it, but Cave/Nature Lore, Rune Reading, and a few of the other stats actually did influence dialog throughout the trilogy. Usually, though, these were world map encounters rather than town denizens.

Also, didn't joining the anti-magic faction get harder if you had mages in your party?

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
That pic of 3 looked better than 4.

Out of curiousity, if Avernum is turn-based and Geneforge is different, what kind of system does it use? The Spiderweb site talks a lot about back-story but not too much about the game-systems.

At the risk of starting another Oblivion thread, a lot of people have complained about the dialogue in Morrowind while praising Daggerfall. What was Daggerfall's dialogue like?

Psilon

Erudite
Geneforge is also turn-based, but only within combat. It's real-time until the magic and calming anesthetic saliva starts flying. So, much like Fallout in that regard.

The reason I dislike Geneforge's system by comparison is that the combat sucks. There's no feedback about how much AP it costs to move, so you can easily get within range but have only 4AP left, thus screwing your character for the turn. There's no defense bonus for passing one's turn, which wouldn't be an issue except that you can't defer a move until later. Most of the bad status ailments don't hit until the beginning of a round, so for Shaper players it's to their advantage to move last so they can dispel harmful effects/heal/blast everything in range. Unfortunately, as soon as you purchase or accidentally receive (through books/quest rewards/canisters) points of Dexterity or Quick Action, you're screwed.

Regarding Daggerfall dialogue, it's less a Wiki and more an index. Choose a dialogue style (polite (Etiquette), normal (Persuasion), blunt (Streetwise)), and choose a topic. Topics include, and are more or less limited to, latest rumors, background info about $faction, directions to $place, directions to $person, and "Any work?"--essentially the nearest commoner/merchant NPC with a random quest for you. Harassing enough (i.e., 3 dialogues) NPCs for directions would eventually mark the target location on your map.

Rumors/background questions only worked once per session, though, and they could give you false information. So several guilds had Spymasters, who could provide an infinite stream of true information.

Elwro

Arcane
Psilon said:
Don't remember where precisely he used it, but Cave/Nature Lore, Rune Reading, and a few of the other stats actually did influence dialog throughout the trilogy.
That's certainly a good feature. But there are still situations in which a stat reflecting just the ability to influence other with words could be useful imo. Especially if "as much dialogue as anything we've ever done" means "as much dialogue as in all other Spiderweb games combined", and not "as much dialogue as in any other Spiderweb game". I'm afraid it's the latter.
I liked every bit of writing in Avernum games. The more of it, the better!
Also, didn't joining the anti-magic faction get harder if you had mages in your party?
No idea here.

spacemoose

Erudite
Anyone remember Exile III's magic system? I loved that thing, it had something like 50+ different spells. And even though some of them were essentially upgraded versions of other spells, there were a lot of unique and just plain awesome spells - like quickfire for example.

The avernum series (and nethergate if I'm not mistaken) reduced this down to like 12 spells. All the same in every game. It was a huge disappointment for me.

Elwro

Arcane
Spacemoose said:
Anyone remember Exile III's magic system? I loved that thing, it had something like 50+ different spells. And even though some of them were essentially upgraded versions of other spells (...)
The avernum series (and nethergate if I'm not mistaken) reduced this down to like 12 spells. (...)
The Avernum series has 18 spells for mages and 18 spells for priests, and each of those spells has 3 levels of power that sometimes differ not only quantitavely but also qualitatively.
I really wanted to say that some of the 3rd level spell effects could be viewed as independent spells as they actually do something the weaker versions cannot and are not only "stronger" in the primitive sense.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Naked_Lunch said:
Hopefully they'll fix up the combat.
I'm not sure what's wrong with Avernum's combat. It's somewhat simple, but it's still very tactical. I had all kinds of tactical fun the first time I ran across a Mung Demon.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Naked_Lunch said:
Hopefully they'll fix up the combat.
I'm not sure what's wrong with Avernum's combat. It's somewhat simple, but it's still very tactical. I had all kinds of tactical fun the first time I ran across a Mung Demon.

You are right Saint (as always) the combat system is the best part of Avernum.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I meant how if you attack with APs still left, it uses up the rest of your APs. Or is that just for Geneforge? I thought it was common to all Nethergate engine games.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Avernum does that also. I could understand if spending all your AP in an attack did something, but you get the same attack for spending 1AP as you do if you spend 4AP. Then again, Haste is a wonderful spell.

Barbader

Novice
WIZARDRY 8:

combat system - perfect

magic system- perfect

dialogue system- even more than incredible adding more dialogue lines...

we should make vandalic actions over our city requesting other wizardry...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom