Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avatar Gallery Submission Thread

Do you care about custom avatars?

• Yes, and I want something done about it.

Votes: 314 54.4%
  • No, just leave it the way it is.

Votes: 263 45.6%

• Total voters

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Actually I just like the Imperial Force Commander. Space Marines pwn j00.

Hajo

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Actually I just like the Imperial Force Commander. Space Marines pwn j00.

What do you think, if you had another avatar, would people react different to you?

Which "Imperial Force" do you refer too? I mean, I don't know from which game or book you took it, and there could be several sources.

Space Marines pwn j00.

This and your avatar remind me of:

Sisters of Mercy, Floodland, Colors.

"You reap what you sow
Put your face to the ground
Here come the marching men
Your colours wrapped around"

You had a different avator a while ago, even more than the current one it expressed threat and power.

Fez

Erudite
Exitium has posted his picture up a few times, hence the 2.8 jokes and pepsi jacket refrences. He would make an excellent crossdresser with his lithe frame and high cheeckbones. The admins can have whatever avatar they want, I am sure.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be like the avatar they choose at random, guys might choose female ones and vice versa, or "grey blobs" :roll: or choose freaky ass pig things on silver trays. With cigars.

Hajo

Liturgist
I didn't want to refer to Exitiums real looks.

I got struck by the idea, to which extend the look of an avator influences the responses one gets. The messages, the wording, the style surely have a big influence, but before even reading the message you see the avatar. It's your first impression.

I'm sure I'll be influenced by the looks. I wonder if this can be generalized or not?

Fez

Erudite
Maybe if I choose a scantily clad avatar I'll be popular. :D

It works on MMOGs, so I can see where you are coming from with that point. How about starting a thread in GD or something on this? I've tried female and male characters on the same server on MMOGs and noticed differences.

Hajo

Liturgist
Fez said:

It works on MMOGs, so I can see where you are coming from with that point. How about starting a thread in GD or something on this? I've tried female and male characters on the same server on MMOGs and noticed differences.

"Sex sells" you know. But I think you made a god choice. The character portraits from Arcanum are very expressive. You look like someone who can move montains by will.

I'll be offline soon, at least for a few hours. So today I won't start a new thread.

Fez

Erudite
Speaking of which have you tried DoW since all the mods, patches and maps have started appearing? I know you were disappointed with the initial release. I've been keeping tabs on the community and it seems like the game will be supported for a while to come, with another patch in the works and an expansion on its way. Should mean that the game has a good bit of life in it yet.

Sarvis

Erudite
Hajo said:
Fez said:

"Sex sells" you know. But I think you made a god choice. The character portraits from Arcanum are very expressive. You look like someone who can move montains by will.

I'll be offline soon, at least for a few hours. So today I won't start a new thread.

I think his avatar looks like a stuck up English professor... heh.

Fez

Erudite
And I love you too Sarvis.

But I see what you mean. :P

I do like the quality of the portraits in Arcanum. What made me like them more than the (also very good) portraits in BG 1 and 2 is that they are not flawless, they look like something that could exist, with wrinkles and such. The artist clearly put a lot of effort into them.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Yeah, Arcanum's portraits definately lean towards realism more than any others I've seen. They're not done with Hollywood beauty that is so prevalent in most RPG character ports. Take NWN for example. While I did like some of the art for the ports in that game, most of them were just too pretty, if you can understand what I mean.

Fez

Erudite
I know what you mean, I almost used the same phrase myself in my last post.

It kind of reminds me of how the faces in The Name of the Rose have more impact than the usual hollywood models. It wouldn't have been the same if they were all smooth and pretty. As it was you felt it was more authentic and let the suspense of disbelief creep in. Sometimes dirt is a good thing. Da filthy!

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Could you add the polish guy from Jagged Allicance 2 to the Avatar Gallery?

His name was Bobby Gontarski, he was a polish Merc in JA 2.
He is my favourite, though i know of many people who hated him.

Maybe its because im polish, i just loved it when he shouted "do jasnej cholery"

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Speaking of which I don't care much for custom avatars... If I have the chance I try to whip up something of my own design; if not, too bad, life goes on. We could have different, custom avatars according to rank here.... but the thing is, it's not worth the hassle. We already have a nifty variety (which can be increased with avatar rips), and we already have special ranks according to post count. Not worth having custom avatars in my opinion.

almondblight

Arcane
Yeah, needing custom avatars is a pretty sad thing. If you really are getting into a fuss about what your appearance is on a internet game forum, you got bigger problems than that.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Steroid doesn't say anything in polish in the english version of the game. "Damn it to hell" or "Damn it, damn it, DAMN IT, this is not possible" were present. I've had the localised version of ja2, and the voice over was still english, you could be talking about unfinished business, which I only got in english. Steroid was a very good merc infact, but because he hates Ivan he's ruled out of most games.

Vykromond

Scholar
This is probably the most Codex thread on the forum, for better or for worse.

Psilon

Erudite
Lunch's avatar is the ToEE cow, from the "monsters 2" directory. What the hell are you talking about?

And as for Rex, well, there are enough threads dealing with him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom