Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If I was at the gear level in D3 that most people are in PoE, I could get massive upgrades in every play session, as long as I get them from the auction house.

Fixed. The only way to obtain good gear in D3 at any level (aside from once-in-a-blue-moon drops, the majority of which won't be an upgrade for your specific character/build) is to skim the very thin film of cream off the top of the AH, purchasing worthwhile items that others simply don't need. An ocean of hundreds of thousands of players getting loot they don't need 99.99% of the time is what makes this thin film of worthwhile items possible. The thin film of cream is what's left after almost everything else has either been vendored for virtually nothing, or simply left on the ground. And even that thin film of decent items costs a tiny, tiny pittance to buy, because they're worthless since they're not for endgame.

In PoE you can (and I personally did) collect things such as Gemcutter's Prisms and other various orbs before reaching the endgame that are quite valuable. Orbs and gear that can conveniently be made into orbs drop almost by the minute.

abija

Prophet
What's your take on D3 having an active population close to DOTA 2 (which ridicules all the other games on steam lately)?
Can you post those D3 statistics, haven't seen them.
They were in those articles where Wilson said AH is bad. http://www.gamespot.com/events/gdc-2013/story.html?sid=6406151 :
Diablo III logs around 1 million unique players per day, former game director Jay Wilson revealed today during a Game Developers Conference panel titled "Shout at the Devil: The Making of Diablo III."
Wilson also noted that over 3 million unique gamers play Diablo III every month.

DOTA 2 devs blogged about going over 3 mil a while ago too.

Multi-headed Cow

Since I'm on a "Fucking around with streaming spree", some D3 inferno MP3 gameplay until I shamefully get taken down by a monster. POOR SHOW! http://www.twitch.tv/m_hc/b/385130418

99% of the sputtering you see early in the video is Diablo 3 itself by the way. Damn game has done that to me since it launched.

logicliker

Novice
What's your take on D3 having an active population close to DOTA 2 (which ridicules all the other games on steam lately)?
Can you post those D3 statistics, haven't seen them.
They were in those articles where Wilson said AH is bad. http://www.gamespot.com/events/gdc-2013/story.html?sid=6406151 :
Diablo III logs around 1 million unique players per day, former game director Jay Wilson revealed today during a Game Developers Conference panel titled "Shout at the Devil: The Making of Diablo III."
Wilson also noted that over 3 million unique gamers play Diablo III every month.

DOTA 2 devs blogged about going over 3 mil a while ago too.

Where are your critical thinking skills and common sense?

You "buy" Blizzard's PR?

The only neutral source for gaming data that has some respectability is Xfire. And Diablo 3 isn't even on their top 10 (although, after patch day, it makes a short appearance somewhere around the bottom half).

Xfire's Top 10 "Most Played" PC games:

1. lol.gif
    League of Legends
  2. cod4mp.gif
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  3. cod2mp.gif
    Call of Duty 2
  4. wotlkb.gif
    World of Warcraft
  5. bf3.gif
    Battlefield 3
  6. gw2.gif
    Guild Wars 2
  7. mcrft.gif
    Minecraft
  8. wotb.gif
    World Of Tanks
  9. dota2.gif
    Dota 2
  10. sc2b.gif
    StarCraft II

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

WoW has the largest playerbase of any MMO out there (barring LoL, which I don't count an MMO). That doesn't make it a good game, though.

abija

Prophet
The point was forum buzz doesn't mean jack shit when the game is played a lot and has those sale numbers.
Or if you want to adjust to McDonaldz, PoE, D3 and TL2 are all junk games, PoE is free, TL2 very cheap, PoE has good forum buzz, TL2 average, yet more people play D3.

abija

Prophet
What have I said about the press jumping on their dick at the first opportunity...
Both the control and the inventory management are worse on console, monsters are less aggressive and those articles calls all of them big improvements :D
The reason advertisers love buzzwords is that they obviously work. Look how this guy gets all wet every time he mentions direct control.

The game has been improved in almost all areas, and I can't wait to jump back in to play. In fact, I may spend more time on the console version than the PC original.
That will surely teach Blizzard.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The irony is that if Blizzard removed the RMAH, removed the always-online requirement, added "LAN" capability, and improved itemization, console D3 actually is better than the PC version. :lol:

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, clearly PC is the superior platform to run beta testing on. Consoles have no keyboards to write feedback with!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well, clearly PC is the superior platform to run beta testing on. Consoles have no keyboards to write feedback with!

Sure they do, they support USB keyboards just as PCs do. They support USB mice and headsets, too.

They're just not supported/are disallowed in most console games (Final Fantasy XI [MMORPG] on the PS2/360 allows use of M&K). Often, they're unsupported because it's not worth the effort, since almost no console gamer will use them... however, they're intentionally disallowed in online kiddie shooters because M&K users would have a tremendous advantage over gamepad users.

Angthoron

Arcane

Sure they do, they support USB keyboards just as PCs do. They support USB mice and headsets, too.

They're just not supported/are disallowed in most console games (Final Fantasy XI [MMORPG] on the PS2/360 allows use of M&K). Often, they're unsupported because it's not worth the effort, since almost no console gamer will use them... however, they're intentionally disallowed in online kiddie shooters because M&K users would have a tremendous advantage over gamepad users.
I mean it in the sense that average console won't likely have that in use.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jay Wilson explains how he fucked up: http://www.edge-online.com/news/gdc-2013-diablo-iiis-mistakes-mishapes-and-misfits/

First, Wilson admitted that the Blizzard development team had got the item system badly wrong. Diablo revised items from Diablo II to prevent characters like Diablo II’s Sorceress, who was almost totally item-independent – and hence overpowered and extremely popular.

Unfortunately, in Diablo III “Items were mathy” he said, as players needed to maximise their character’s particular core stats. “Being a Barbarian and swinging an axe doesn’t often involve algebra,” said Wilson. Blizzard has attempted to fix this with hundreds of new legendary items in patch 1.04, which are more ‘build changer’ items.

Similarly, combat was made repetitive by the player’s high level of skill customization. “We had no ‘diverse combat mechanics’ pillar… the player is a swiss army knife, we don’t know if they’re the scissors or the saw,” Wilson said. If the designer doesn’t know any of the skills a player has, not even dodges or ranged attacks, then he can’t design mechanics around them, limiting him to the few attacks universal to all classes.

Similarly, though Wilson generally praised the rich skill customization system, he felt that the linear levelling up system often provided players with skills that they would never use, undermining the appeal of upgrading.

He was most damning regarding the game’s much-delayed auction house, saying: “I think we would turn it off if we could.” He also suggested that the team had deeply underestimated the playerbase’s use of both auction houses, making them both messy and dominant, and undermining player’s ability to play. He did, however, defend their decision to implement as they did. “We picked the wrong answer, but I stand by us trying to solve a problem that really needs to be solved.”

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally, he was extremely happy with the thematic elements of the game, particularly the highly original class archetypes, saying “awesome comes first”.

:lol:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well, the Monk and Witch Doctor were nicely handled.

The rest of the game's "thematic elements" were utter shit.

Finally, he was extremely happy with the thematic elements of the game, particularly the highly original class archetypes, saying “awesome comes first”.

:lol:

What a moron. Diablo 3 has nothing to do whatsoever with its prequels thematically. They were dark gothic "realistic" horror satanic fantasy (well, Diablo 1 more, Diablo 2 less). This is WoW "awesome", and has nothing to do with Diablo universe.

Stabwound

Arcane
It's interesting how he does a complete 180 and finally tells the truth instead of putting on that fake goofy smile and praising the wonderful game he created now that he's been axed from the team and it isn't his job to promote it.

It reminds me of reading Brian Fargo's interviews about Hunted: The Demon's Forge during his press tour, and now they literally don't even list that game on the inXile website anymore alongside greats like Choplifter HD and Sparkworkz, whatever those might be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom