Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Is this really that difficult to understand? They want weapons to actually matter for all the classes. Having the only real difference between weapons be whether or not it had +1 to all skills was pretty retarded. If spell damage scales off weapon damage than all sorts of things can work equally for all calsses. You can have a +50% damage buff that works on wizards too, instead of giving them something retarded like mana regen instead, which doesn't even matter because of potions.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Is this really that difficult to understand? They want weapons to actually matter for all the classes. Having the only real difference between weapons be whether or not it had +1 to all skills was pretty retarded. If spell damage scales off weapon damage than all sorts of things can work equally for all calsses. You can have a +50% damage buff that works on wizards too, instead of giving them something retarded like mana regen instead, which doesn't even matter because of potions.

My giant club wielding Wizard approves this. Same as sword&shield monk, master of unarmed combat.

OR

Having twice bigger and sharper axe allows Wizard do twice more damage with arcane energies, working as intended. You do remember Wizards get +Str at level ups for a reason.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
And twice faster and sharper dagger allows barbarian to cause earthquakes that are twice as deadly when he stomps his feet. But thats ok, because he's not a wizards. Wizards are special man! They used to be cool! I'm totally worried about them doing marginally better damage for the first twentieth of the game if they use a club instead of a staff, that is far more important than forced online play, real money auction houses, or the dearth of character customization.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm totally worried about them doing marginally better damage for the first twentieth of the game if they use a club instead of a staff, that is far more important than forced online play, real money auction houses, or the dearth of character customization.

If they wanted to be popular with wide masses (read: console-users) they had to remove character customization. Because it, customization, required certain, albeit small, intellectual effort and had some risks in making bad choices.

Best way to stop some of players from making bad choices in (since if you are allowed to choose, you can choose wrong) to just prevent them from making any choice at all.

Gord

Arcane
I'm totally worried about them doing marginally better damage for the first twentieth of the game if they use a club instead of a staff, that is far more important than forced online play, real money auction houses, or the dearth of character customization.

Absolutely. By the way, did anyone pre-order the collectors edition? I heard it contained some lubricant.
Of course, true fans of Blizz won't need it, they will enjoy the rape feeling.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Some here expected d3 to be god knows what, i never expected it anything to be more than a beatem up

DoubleDragon02--screenshot_large.jpg

with gear.

iou0

Novice
Also if game already auto-levels for you: chooses stats for your character (for sure this Str at every level up you get for wizard is much needed) and chooses skills, next move will be game that auto-plays for you too.

Dungeon Siege 1 does that.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
I think people here expected it to be a newer Diablo 2 and not Double Dragon tbh

Yeah, remember the times when Diablo 2 was being released? :smug:

Some here expected d3 to be god knows what, i never expected it anything to be more than a beatem up

Good point. And it actually manages to be a decent beatem up. With gear.

fuzzball

Novice
I found some statement from Blizzard that tries to explain why there is so much hand holding in the beta and why leveling up seems to be an auto managed process.

I think it’s a symptom of the beta where you’re in the part of the game where we’re very deliberately guiding players by handing out a skill here, a rune there. It’s really a crafted and linear experience to start (both in system introduction and environment) because the first couple hours are the most crucial to a successful and long term experience. We’re not in the mindset to drop all of the game systems on you and say “Good luck, sucker!”

To some the approach we’re taking is likely a turnoff because they want to feel like they’re part of an elite group able to figure out complex and obtuse game systems, and be challenged the second the game begins. I think if they stick with it they’ll find that there is a ton of depth and complexity to the game. We put the depth into the gameplay, skill, and decision making itself and not the requirement to overcome the UI or understand how the game even works.

If you’re one of those players you’re going to blaze through Normal, hit Nightmare, and things are going to start feeling really good for you. You just have to understand that not everyone is like you, and we’re making the game so a wide range of people can enjoy it.

So apparently the beta is some kind of a big tutorial (yes, the game is made for retards so you will have to deal with it) and beyond that the game will give you more freedom to choose your own skills, runes or whatever.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
If they wanted to be popular with wide masses (read: console-users) they had to remove character customization. Because it, customization, required certain, albeit small, intellectual effort and had some risks in making bad choices. Best way to stop some of players from making bad choices in (since if you are allowed to choose, you can choose wrong) to just prevent them from making any choice at all.

before shitting your pants and acting like a retard you better should read through this thread. it's explained in detail and after thinking about what you just read you will notice that customization is still there - it's even better developed than in d2. that a weapon is able to buff your skills ain't new... it was done in gw before. same with free respecc all the time and gw was praised for that. in fact it's got the best character system to date. it's in some cases illogical but the fuck?! it's just a game and not a simulator -.-

So apparently the beta is some kind of a big tutorial (yes, the game is made for retards so you will have to deal with it) and beyond that the game will give you more freedom to choose your own skills, runes or whatever.

you have that freedom right from the start. after the first few levels you can choose which skill you want to use and which rune you want to add. later more skills and runes will be unlocked and added to the pool. you never will be able to choose which skill is the next on lvlup - that happens automatically.

Raapys

Arcane
...To some the approach we’re taking is likely a turnoff because they want to feel like they’re part of an elite group able to figure out complex and obtuse game systems...
Personally I love this one.

They manage to make it sound like you're an elitist loser if you actually like games with depth. Which even if true would be ironic, since it's hardly better to be among the masses of mindless sheep that all modern games are made for.

it was done in gw before. it's in some cases illogical but the fuck?! it's just a game and not simulator -.-
Yes, we really need more stuff from MMORPGs. Those have the best mechanics ever!

Renegen

Arcane
How many millions did Diablo 2 sell? Or how many millions did Diablo 1 sell for that matter? It's just PR on their part to say that there's only a handful of elitist losers and they want to ruin your gaem!

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

You cant choose skills. They are auto-given to you at level ups. You can choose only to use it or not use it. Choosing not to get certain skill (in favor of another) is not a choice you can make.

Same with runes. Same with stats.

ONLY thing that you have CHOICE in - is equipment (at least its not auto-given to you at level ups and you can opt not to take it). Skills/stats/runes/etc you are FORCED to take/they are auto-given to you.

Diablo III is same as Doom in amount of "choice" how you build character. Want change something about character - find new item (shotgun, combat armor, new sword or leather armor), both for Doom or Diablo 3.

Even in FPS games with rpg elements you could choose skills (example: Borderlands).

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
before shitting your pants and acting like a retard you better should read through this thread. it's explained in detail and after thinking about what you just read you will notice that customization is still there - it's even better developed than in d2. that a weapon is able to buff your skills ain't new... it was done in gw before. same with free respecc all the time and gw was praised for that. in fact it's got the best character system to date. it's in some cases illogical but the fuck?! it's just a game and not a simulator -.-

I've read it already.

Its 10.000 word essay how "freedom of choice" is awesome on Diablo 3. In Diablo 3 where you have control only and choice only in what items you use it.

Customisation in Diablo 3 = every character of same class/lvl is SAME. Same statistics, same skills. Same everything! Clone wars anyone?
Only difference between characters of equal class/lvl is equipment. So much for customization.

bonescraper

No, they're unlocked in linear fashion as they all have level requirements. So at level 24 you'll always get skill x and rune y. Nothing will change in the full version.

In Half Life 2 you pick up a crossbow at certain point. Now, you can choose to snipe your enemies for afar, or just keep running and gunning them down with your SMG. So Half-Life has different builds and character progression.
:troll:

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Yes, we really need more stuff from MMORPGs. Those have the best mechanics ever!

did you ever play guild wars?! with its thousands of skills and complex synergies it's by far the best character/fighting system for an mmo...
and better lets not start a comparison with d2. diablo2 was a mass market product too which was in no way deeper than d3.

Customisation in Diablo 3 = every character of same class/lvl is SAME. Same statistics, same skills. Same everything! Clone wars anyone? Only difference between characters of equal class/lvl is equipment. So much for customization.

and what's the difference to d2?! every build was the exact same... there even was no difference in equipment -.-
you can achieve different builds through different skill settings, which are further customizable through runes. stats never played a big role within diablo besides restricting equipment. now that's gone and you equip tons of stuff... which is even more customization. plus stats are still there waiting for to be finetuned through items.

yes, d3 is heavy on equip and items. but that's what diablo is about - collecting loot. it's just logical to build the system and rules upon.

Krivol

Magister
I'm not hack'n'slash fan, but my wife is, so I downloaded beta D3 and played for about an hour.
Killing zombies is not so bad, better than Loki and Sacred 2 I think, and that's all good things I can tell about D3. And what is (in my opinion) wrong here?
1. BIG NUMBERS in equipmen stats - yeeey, I now can see: this tunic gives me ONE MORE PROTECTION! It's sooo great... No more thinking about which gear is better.
2. And no more thinking about character builds - I enjoyed Titan Quest's system, where you not only choose from plenty of classes, but many skills too. Now I don't need to. Nice!
3. Cannot connect to the server - mmmm, game is giving me some opportunity to do my loundry, make a dinner or sth.
4. Kikcing out from single player game is A FEATURE! Forgot take kids from school? Or maybe to wash your dishes? From the other hand - it's nice that D3 is protecting me of being bored of killing stuff.
And be honest - Blizz will earn some big money with D3. No thinking included...

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
and what's the difference to d2?! every build was the exact same... there even was no difference in equipment -.-
you can achieve different builds through different skill settings, which are further customizable through runes. stats never played a big role within diablo besides restricting equipment. now that's gone and you equip tons of stuff... which is even more customization. plus stats are still there waiting for to be finetuned through items.

yes, d3 is heavy on equip and items. but that's what diablo is about - collecting loot. it's just logical to build the system and rules upon.

We are not talking about "d3 being heavy on items". You are trying to change subject.

We say that ONLY way you can do choice about your character is just equipment. Aka same amount of choice in character building you had in "Doom" for example. Or "Quake". You can get armor and new weapon, but thats pretty much all amount of choice over character you have in both Doom, Quake and Diablo 3.

ANY character customization is Diablo = what items to use.

So much for "character customization".

DakaSha

Arcane
They dont understand that your character being a soulless, non-individual, equipment vehicle is retarded no matter how you try to make it sound good

Terpsichore

Arcane
A choice is better than no choice at all.

Not knowing is better than not having to know.

Kaspar Hauser

Educated
You cant choose skills. They are auto-given to you at level ups. You can choose only to use it or not use it. Choosing not to get certain skill (in favor of another) is not a choice you can make.

Since you can only use 6 skills at lvl 19, you DO choose certain skills in favor of others

Raapys

Arcane
What does it matter what you 'choose' when you can switch it out for whatever you want in the short time it takes for the cooldown timer to run? That's like what, 5 seconds?

What happened to respec anyway? Back in 2009 they said this:
Diii.net: Respecs. Cost, gold mechanism, any specifics?
Jay Wilson: We will have respecs. We haven’t determined the mechanism yet, but we’re definitely trying to do something different than a wholesale pay a token price and get all your skills back. We want to have a higher price than that.
Yes, they wanted respec( which was bad enough), but they wanted you to pay a high price for it. Now they've scrapped respec and instead decided to just give you all the skills? Wat?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
What does it matter what you 'choose' when you can switch it out for whatever you want in the short time it takes for the cooldown timer to run? That's like what, 5 seconds?

It's enough of a penalty that you can't do it in the midst of an encounter. Personally, I think you should only be able to swap out skills back in town, but whatever. It certainly isn't a viable strategy to bring up the skill selection interface in the middle of combat, thus blocking your view of the action, and then sit out for a while as your skills recharge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom