Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atomic Heart - open world first-person shooter set in an alternate universe Soviet Union

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
But, I don't know if Atomic Heart has flopped or not. Currently sitting at 20k consecutive players. Depending on how big their budget was, it could be profitable. Critically it seems to have done pretty good too, with good user and reviewer scores.
It probably made a profit. Gamers will eat up that popamole, especially if e-celebs tell them that woke journos don't like it. Good for the devs, but you won't catch me buying that shit.

GloomFrost

Arcane
So far out of all big blockbuster releases (Calisto, Dead Space Remake, Hogwarts) I am enjoying Atomic Heart the most. Despite some issues you can at least tell that there were some genuine creativity and passion behind it. Oh and for people who say that its bad because its a Bioshock clone, well the original Bioshock itself is nothing more but an oversimplified System Shock. And B Infinity is just a pretentions and unfinished console shooter.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This game would have worked better as a more linear shooter. Open world makes the gameplay feel too banal.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I am about 4-5 hours in and this is reminding me a lot of Prey, and Bioshock. I think it's pretty amazing, considering the context of its development too.

That said I am withholding further judgement until I get further in because I have heard that it has some serious flaws, we'll see

WHat I will say is that it certainly doesn't buck any trends when it comes to following objective markers, retarded tutorial pop-ups, button prompts for takedowns, stuff like that. Although there are a few moments so far where the dialogue kinda takes the piss out of objective markers and I appreciated that

Rieser

Scholar
After finishing it, I'd say it's a very solid game but the experience marred by bugs. Had to replay 2+ hours at one point due to a mission checkpoint refusing to fire. After those issues are sorted, I'd easily recommend this. The open world sections are the worst part of the game. Like luj1 is saying they should've stuck to a more linear structure throughout. Pacing and atmosphere gets largely fucked in the open world.

GloomFrost

Arcane
the original Bioshock itself is nothing more but an oversimplified System Shock. And B Infinity is just a pretentions and unfinished console shooter.
in fact both suck donkey balls. what's your point?
I am sure you know a lot about sucking donkey balls and yet Bioshock is by far not the worst thing to come out during X360 era. A solid single player immersive sim, no more, no less.

DemonKing

Arcane
Gave it a spin last night on PC - loved the Bioshock style batshit crazy into (even though the cracks were showing if you looked closely due to the limited number of human skins in the crowd).

Lead character is a serious jerk though. Must have great connections to get promoted to major with that kind of attitude.

Ran at 60 FPS+ on max settings at 3440 x 1440 on my 2070 so performance wise it's pretty good.

Ivan

Arcane
first impressions:

once you're past the long intro, it very much feels like Bioshock with much better combat. I like the hefty feel of the melee, and the resource management + upgrading of weapons. The platforming (pipe climbing) is slow and tedious, thankfully the jumping sections are fine. I enjoyed exploring the first map for goodies, will be curious to see if the rest of the game is as hub based as the first level.

JDR13

Arcane
After finishing it, I'd say it's a very solid game but the experience marred by bugs. Had to replay 2+ hours at one point due to a mission checkpoint refusing to fire. After those issues are sorted, I'd easily recommend this. The open world sections are the worst part of the game. Like luj1 is saying they should've stuck to a more linear structure throughout. Pacing and atmosphere gets largely fucked in the open world.
How the fuck are you already finished?

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
If it's even a 1/2 way decent shooter I'm going to play it. What else is there? Since COD no one makes single player shooters with any regularity or quality. Who needs a story when you can have season pass and new reskin every year.
In another thread someone was bemoning the death of RTS, well FPS have died harder.
Prey was the last good shooter or Metro snow version, both an eon ago.

Silverfish

Arbiter
And B Infinity is just a pretentions and unfinished console shooter.
I take offense to that. Even the most middling of console shooters (the Hazes and Resistances of the world) are leagues better than Bioshock Infinite.

Yosharian

Arcane
I am about 4-5 hours in and this is reminding me a lot of Prey, and Bioshock.
On a scale between Bio Infinite with -10, Bio 1 with 0, Bio 2 with 5 and Prey with 10. Where the level design fits?
I haven't really played enough to judge it that well yet, also it's quite different to Prey because it's not set on a space station. I can't say the level design has been shockingly good or anything, but it's aesthetically very good and the tight corridors and other areas I've fought in so far have presented quite a challenge when fighting the first few enemy types.

You'd have to be a bit more specific

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom