Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ATOM Team's next game is Swordhaven: Iron Conspiracy, a fantasy RPG inspired by Baldur's Gate 1

jackofshadows

Magister
There was a lot of not good mixed in with the good. Exactly. That's called mediocre, yes. Can't believe you gave shit to Colon RPG at the same time.

Lhynn

Arcane
There was a lot of not good mixed in with the good. Exactly. That's called mediocre, yes. Can't believe you gave shit to Colon RPG at the same time.
I didnt find anything good in colon shit. These are the things that the slop vince released did wrong that atom either avoided or did right:

The writing wasnt charming or memorable, it was dull.
The progression "Learn by doing" was pants on head retarded.
The game felt incredibly linear.
The locations were all boring, devoid of anything interesting or insightful about human nature beyond "everyone is shit"
The main plot is dumb as they come, reminds me of hollywood slop with the retarded twist.
There isnt a single memorable character in the whole fucking game.

And to top it all off:
It was iron tower third fucking game, and the worse of the lot.

I am still filled with disgust when talking to anyone willing to praise that piece of shit. I uninstalled during the past weekend after leaving my first playthrough incomplete since release. What a blunder that fucking game was.

jackofshadows

Magister
Lhynn you're either strongly biased or retarded to shit on CSG while praising anything from ATOM team. Like I get the whole genre is shit angle but this is what you're telling is just not the case. CSG might be the worst from ITS but in that case it'd be still on a whole different level.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
@Lhynn you're either strongly biased or retarded to shit on CSG while praising anything from ATOM team.

Both are guilty of the same thing, which is cheap cloning of systems

The chargen in Colony Ship is the same shit as Fallout

Skill tags, "Gifted" trait, etc. It's just boring

Attributes are almost the same as SPECIAL

Lhynn

Arcane
Lhynn you're either strongly biased or retarded to shit on CSG while praising anything from ATOM team. Like I get the whole genre is shit angle but this is what you're telling is just not the case. CSG might be the worst from ITS but in that case it'd be still on a whole different level.
Elaborate, stop talking like a woman and elaborate.

Both are guilty of the same thing, which is cheap cloning of systems

The chargen in Colony Ship is the same shit as Fallout

Skill tags, "Gifted" trait, etc. It's just boring

Attributes are almost the same as SPECIAL
I dont give a shit if they are the same. They did things well enough back then.

REhorror

Educated
Hope it's good, I'd prefer an ATOM sequel tbqh.

There better be some medieval Power armor.

Vyvian

Educated
It has potential, I will be following it on Steam.
Will it be moddable? It may be too early to know such a thing I am just curious.

is there anything stopping somebody from using D20 rules based on 1est or 2end edition or something in a game like this? Why does nobody do that? If its not allowed I get it, but I don't understand why other than that really vs. using some random thing they threw together or GURPS (which is not great IMO) or whatever else.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I didnt find anything good in colon shit.

The locations were all boring, devoid of anything interesting or insightful about human nature beyond "everyone is shit"
The main plot is dumb as they come, reminds me of hollywood slop with the retarded twist.

Have to agree with every single thing you mentioned

But if you think that ATOM didn't repeat these mistakes (except linearity) then you are a biased retard

Lhynn

Arcane

But if you think that ATOM didn't repeat these mistakes (except linearity) then you are a biased retard

Atoms writing is very charming. Most of the people you talk to are normal people with normal problems. War and peace it isnt, but its not edgy retardation either.
I personally found it to be lighthearted when it needed to be, interesting when it wanted to be, and very easy to digest when it failed to engage the player. The main problem being cultural differences, and Trudograd adressing that problem by using 90s western pop culture references instead, and sparingly at that.

The locations in Atom are very varied and most of them fairly interesting. Each location has several stories to tell, and they are often interconnected with other locations. I found them all fairly memorable. Otradnoye with its small political struggles, a small village trying to survive, being wary of the people that claim to protect them, Dans men, from the factory. Dan is a bit of an unsung hero, he and his men have fought dangerous gangs to keep Otradnoye safe. Dan himself is cold and cunning and a bit of a prick, but in the end it turns out he is a good man that had really never seen the good in people. After you help him out and save his life (And fleece him if you are good at bartering) he has an emotional moment.
Comrade Kovalev, another hardass, the leader of Otradnoye. He is nearing the end of his term, and the end of his life really. Man has many regrets, and quite a few dreams, and you can help him with that, you can help him reconcile with his past, and you can give him a future. And I dont want to tell you the end of the quest, but I ended up caring for the old fart more than I should have, as he is just a fictional character, a minor one at that.
And these are the first two locations you will be visiting. There is a lot more waiting for the player.

The main plot is not dumb, you have to find man of high ranking of the organization you belong to. This, however, ends up making you work for an organization of very odd people that all speak of unity and non violence. Whose efforts to improve the world seem to fall flat constantly. Its odd and jarring, alien even, and then you start getting clues as to why that is. Everything in the world of Atom is a deliberate choice that is there to help with world building.

As for memorable characters, there are many, but the one that stands out among all of them is comrade Kovalev. I salute the man. :salute:
latest-1.png

May he live eternally in the hearts and minds of the people of Otradnoye.

Your opinion reeks of someone that quit the game early. Atom is not an easy game to get into, it was hard for me to overcome the starting hurdle (I almost quit twice when I got to KZN), as very little seemed to be actually going on. It doesnt grab you from the start like fallout does, but it charms the player with a very well put together world, with likable and human characters. Where tragedy is an every day reality, and people cope with it however they can. You can help make the world a better place, in small and not so small ways, or you can make it a living hell for these people, and in many ways it feels more real and more impactful than in any game with higher stakes.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
^ a bunch of subjective shit, basically. I mean, I enjoy this site as the next guy in terms of exchange of opinions but don't equate that with actual games evaluations.

Lhynn

Arcane
^ a bunch of subjective shit, basically. I mean, I enjoy this site as the next guy in terms of exchange of opinions but don't equate that with actual games evaluations.
You are a clown and an asshat. A low effort one at that. Incapable of having a constructive thought or interesting idea.

Site would be better if you fucked off.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
is there anything stopping somebody from using D20 rules based on 1est or 2end edition or something in a game like this? Why does nobody do that? If its not allowed I get it, but I don't understand why other than that really vs. using some random thing they threw together or GURPS (which is not great IMO) or whatever else.
You can't copyright game rules, but these companies are very risk-averse about lawsuits.

Additionally there are a lot of aspects of rpgs meant for pen and paper sessions that don't translate well to computer role-playing games (not that systems designed entirely for crpgs are any better).

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You are a clown and an asshat. A low effort one at that. Incapable of having a constructive thought or interesting idea.

Site would be better if you fucked off.
He is a Russian edgy contrarian. Most likely also a vatnik - his tag is long overdue.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Wtf are people complaining about? ATOM costs less than a bottle of good vodka and it's quite enjoyable to play when you need to scratch that Fallout itch since you've already played Fallout 10 times since 1998.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Can someone retardo this guy? This is derailment & politics, no place in a gaming forum, as we all know. Infinitron ?
He's the game's developer, you idiot.

That being said, I've had to Retardo several posts ITT due to unnecessary political shit. We're not going to put up with that in any of our gaming threads, even from the developers themselves. That means you, Atomboy.
Oh so that's why I couldn't log on for a bunch of days! Alright, I'm sorry and I won't do it again! You could've made a window saying "you're banned" pop up or something, I honestly thought my computer got broken and just couldn't access the site, because all browsers kept giving me 404!
They even call it "Iron conspiracy" lol

Is this a sarcastic clone of BG?
Inspired by! It's inspired by! And we won't go the sarcastic route this time, we'll be telling a straight story. IMO Sarcasm has outlived its glory days in 2010's.

Atom inspired by Fallout.
This by BG.

Is Torment next?
Trudograd was our Torment already.
Atom inspired by Fallout.

>inspired

when every perk is the same, we call it inspired?
Those are very different sets of perks!
No prerendered backgrounds, most likely rotateable camera? :/
Oh but there's an isometric mode which looks awesome! If you pause and step away from the screen it almost looks like it's pre-rendered.
Inspired or not does it really matter that much? Trudograd is a really good RPG, why cant Swordhaven be the same?
Not only that, it will be our best one yet, I promise!
Atom was good, its just that, as customary for classic rpgs, there was a lot of not good mixed in with the good, hard rpg to get into at the start. Trudograd improves on pretty much every aspect and is very much a perfect sequel to Atom.

I recommend both games, but if you have little patience, just skip straight to Trudograd.
Thanks dude! Always improving is our goal, so Swordhaven will be our homework done in Trudograd. More game = better games!

It has potential, I will be following it on Steam.
Will it be moddable? It may be too early to know such a thing I am just curious.
Sure, this time the mod kit will appear way quicker than other times. We're making the core of the game with modders in mind, making it much easier to mod. Even in minor things like creating new weapons, there's now a system that even a kid will get without instruction.
Hope it's good, I'd prefer an ATOM sequel tbqh.

There better be some medieval Power armor.
We'll do that too. Atom 2.5 will be pretty cool when it comes out.

Atoms writing is very charming. Most of the people you talk to are normal people with normal problems. War and peace it isnt, but its not edgy retardation either.
I personally found it to be lighthearted when it needed to be, interesting when it wanted to be, and very easy to digest when it failed to engage the player. The main problem being cultural differences, and Trudograd adressing that problem by using 90s western pop culture references instead, and sparingly at that.

The locations in Atom are very varied and most of them fairly interesting. Each location has several stories to tell, and they are often interconnected with other locations. I found them all fairly memorable. Otradnoye with its small political struggles, a small village trying to survive, being wary of the people that claim to protect them, Dans men, from the factory. Dan is a bit of an unsung hero, he and his men have fought dangerous gangs to keep Otradnoye safe. Dan himself is cold and cunning and a bit of a prick, but in the end it turns out he is a good man that had really never seen the good in people. After you help him out and save his life (And fleece him if you are good at bartering) he has an emotional moment.
Comrade Kovalev, another hardass, the leader of Otradnoye. He is nearing the end of his term, and the end of his life really. Man has many regrets, and quite a few dreams, and you can help him with that, you can help him reconcile with his past, and you can give him a future. And I dont want to tell you the end of the quest, but I ended up caring for the old fart more than I should have, as he is just a fictional character, a minor one at that.
And these are the first two locations you will be visiting. There is a lot more waiting for the player.

The main plot is not dumb, you have to find man of high ranking of the organization you belong to. This, however, ends up making you work for an organization of very odd people that all speak of unity and non violence. Whose efforts to improve the world seem to fall flat constantly. Its odd and jarring, alien even, and then you start getting clues as to why that is. Everything in the world of Atom is a deliberate choice that is there to help with world building.

As for memorable characters, there are many, but the one that stands out among all of them is comrade Kovalev. I salute the man. :salute:
latest-1.png

May he live eternally in the hearts and minds of the people of Otradnoye.

Your opinion reeks of someone that quit the game early. Atom is not an easy game to get into, it was hard for me to overcome the starting hurdle (I almost quit twice when I got to KZN), as very little seemed to be actually going on. It doesnt grab you from the start like fallout does, but it charms the player with a very well put together world, with likable and human characters. Where tragedy is an every day reality, and people cope with it however they can. You can help make the world a better place, in small and not so small ways, or you can make it a living hell for these people, and in many ways it feels more real and more impactful than in any game with higher stakes.
I loved reading that post, it's very special when someone sees through the whole glitz and glamour of "generic fallout clone" to notice the bit of soul we poured into that baby! Thanks!
We never really thought of that to be honest. When the idea for this game came out, we decided to make stuff from scratch because it's fun to make stuff up. Now it won't be the best system out there, but it's pretty fun for those who played it.

Ryzer

Arcane
"Everyone is shit" mentality can be nice in a game, I mean Stalker basically has that throughout and it succeeded well.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
ATOM costs less than a bottle of good vodka and it's quite enjoyable to play when you need to scratch that Fallout itch since you've already played Fallout 10 times since 1998.

If I'd want to "scratch that Fallout itch", there is a bunch of excellent games to play like Tactics or Wasteland, not mediocre ATOM.

I hope their next game will be more original than a carbon copy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom