Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Atari announces Baldur's Gate 3!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Atari

...for mobile phones! <a href=http://www.atari.com>Atari</a>, a self-proclaimed "leader in interactive entertainment", <a href=http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/May/1039399.htm>signed</a> a multi-year deal licensing deal with <b>Sorrent</b> <i>to develop and publish wireless games based on Baldur's Gate, the popular franchise owned by Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc</i>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"We're extremely pleased to create and publish Baldur's Gate on mobile phones," said Greg Ballard, president and CEO of Sorrent. "There's already significant anticipation for this game among fans of the series. This agreement further enhances our portfolio of entertainment applications to meet the demands of today's diverse mobile audience."
<br>
<br>
Details about the game were not disclosed, but the company hinted that it had a connection to the PC game franchise created by BioWare and Interplay's Black Isle Studios</blockquote>So, if you want to play highly anticipated Baldur's Gate 3 and 4 and 5, you better go and get yourself a cellphone with a big ass screen.

Whipporowill

Erudite
OMG! OMG! When is it out?! I just can't WAIT!

Nah, seriously... I'm pretty sure there will be a pc game as well, but why the hell announce a mobile phone one? Maybe just to show they now have the right to the license, sort of?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Whipporowill said:
why the hell announce a mobile phone one? Maybe just to show they now have the right to the license, sort of?
To show that they have the license and aren't afraid to milk it. :)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Jesus fricking Christ! I'll just go and hide for the next two years when hopefully this is all over, Atari is gone and games are stuck on PC and console where they goddamn belong.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Atari is branching out into new areas and taking advantage of emerging markets. It's a very sound strategy. Look what Interplay did by migrating from PC to consoles....Oh, wait. Nevermind.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Yea, this has been rumored for awhile now

Baldur's Gate Goes Mobile
Atari, Sorrent and WotC team up to bring RPG game to mobile phones.
By James Fudge | May 6, 2004

Atari and Sorrent today announced a multi-year licensing agreement, with the first mobile property coming out of the deal being a game based on Baldur's Gate - under license from Hasbro's Wizards of the Coast. Details about the game were not disclosed, but the company hinted that it had a connection to the PC game franchise created by BioWare and Interplay's Black Isle Studios. We'll keep you posted.

taks

Liturgist
:shock: :shock: :roll:

i seriously hope this isn't what grok was referring to when he said it was something he was looking forward to... string him up by the nads if so... sheesh. let's see how the atari hype machine works this one...

taks

Ausir

Arcane
I thought mobile phones are counted among consoles, and therefore we don't cover them?

Voss

Erudite
Atari fucking boggles the mind.
This is the stupidest shit I've seen this month... I'm not even sure that Interplay could top this crap.

Even if they stick it on a phone with the same features as a Gameboy its still going to be so amazingly dumbed-down... I can see putting something like Tetris on phones for the frickin' ADD twitch-monkeys that go nuts if they spend more than 1.5 seconds doing nothing, but something that was once an RPG... no. This just isn't going to fly. admittedly, theres nothing in the statement that even hints that it will still be an RPG, but even for marketing purposes, a BG side-scroller where you chop up Bhaalspawn or dragons... it is just stupid

Anonymous

Bethesda did the same thing with those two other RPGs, then following it up with a handheld mobile release.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Voss said:
Atari fucking boggles the mind.
This is the stupidest shit I've seen this month... I'm not even sure that Interplay could top this crap.
i dont think Atari is the only one to blame, the cellphone companies probably promised them a "lot of money" (in the monkey island 3 sense :D) in exchange for this, remember they are trying to add everything into cellphones nowadays, palms, cameras, gameboys, tvs, tazers, bags, notepads, pens, tv controls, mmorpgs, condoms, car, jacket, scarf, umbrela, ak-47, plasma pistols, lightsabers, x-wing, capuchino machine, lockpick kits, james bond's laser clock (tm), and now baldur's gate. Think about it, it makes sense!, Now im going to go play the snake in my nokia cell, what a fun game! xbox, playstations and gamecubes everywhere, BEWARE! wuahaha

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Wow I don't think much of the series, but even I am just sooo pissed off right now. Bg1&2 were fun games while they lasted, a PC sequel would've been interesting to see, so they instead announce something for a freaking phone? :x :x :roll:

Wow and I thought I couldn't hate Atari more than I already did. And who are these fucking "Sorrent" twigs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom