Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ASTLIBRA Revision - A Side Scrolling Action RPG

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I think the tree branch drop is set in stone as a tutorial to the new board system
I like the god lance best aesthetically, so I'll max that hopefully - right now the next board I got was for the blue crystal looking end-tier sword that came with 2 more elemental affinities, so now it's got three
the skill upgrades are also wild, both Karon and magic, but I don't care for infinity unlock, another one I got overwrites the Karon ability for dashes to push, damage and build up the power bar, which is a godsend to keep mana up across screens; and the magic skills are prohibitively expensive, they change up a lot and I'm not used to using any of them in a fight

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
GAxkiP6.jpg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am on chapter 6 of this shit. Janky af but fun af, and i am playing on hard so it's quite challenging. Really fun game. I usually cringe from the use of the word "hidden gem" but it's truly is one. Digging trough its history, it started as a freeware game that got upgraded.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I am on chapter 6 of this shit. Janky af but fun af, and i am playing on hard so it's quite challenging. Really fun game. I usually cringe from the use of the word "hidden gem" but it's truly is one. Digging trough its history, it started as a freeware game that got upgraded.
Yep, I played the ever living crap out of it. It's frustrating that people who clearly understand game design so well aren't the ones in charge of major development studios. 100% achievements on steam. One of those rare games that never let me get bored of exploring it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Chapter 7 was brutal and i ended up running from everything and just boss rush things. I heard it was patched so you can visit mokyu whereas previously you cannot.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Chapter 8's atmosphere was super. The soundtrack, the background, the plot stakes. This game can be tough as shit but still muaaach *chef kiss*

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So i "finished" the game and it took 80 hours and a bit more. I got the post script scenario and wonder if this is basically just a new game + where you do everything again but with a new context / story. As awesome as this game is, i am pretty burned out at this point. Maybe i shoulf put this down for now and visit later?

Modron

Arcane
No the post script is like a 15 hour long segment with a different story, you certainly took your time getting to it.

Edit: it's more of an alternate reality like approach to new game, treading some similar ground at times but all the story is new. Everything is new or new enough and you're not really playing through what feels like a repeat of the previous chapters with different content segments as far as I recall. If you're feeling burned out it might make a good stop and pickup later point but at the same time I'd recommend just soldering on.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
No the post script is like a 15 hour long segment with a different story, you certainly took your time getting to it.
It's mostly for grinding skills and items plus mem getting wrecked and repeating bosses. I play on hard which is ok so far. You just need to be up to date with the gears.

Modron

Arcane
It's mostly for grinding skills and items plus mem getting wrecked and repeating bosses. I play on hard which is ok so far. You just need to be up to date with the gears.
Yeah the post game opens up new levels of grinding with unlimited skill tree stat upgrade capstones and equipment upgrading. However, it doesn't feel as grindy as trying to stat up enough to handle bloated numbers at higher difficulties in the previous chapters because it's just something you do across the entirety of the postgame mostly organically unless you want to upgrade more than the first couple items you get a board for later.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Yeah the post game opens up new levels of grinding with unlimited skill tree stat upgrade capstones and equipment upgrading. However, it doesn't feel as grindy as trying to stat up enough to handle bloated numbers at higher difficulties in the previous chapters because it's just something you do across the entirety of the postgame mostly organically unless you want to upgrade more than the first couple items you get a board for later.
Are the board/equipment enhancement important? How does it compare to the chapter 7/8 difficulty spikes? (where i had to truly grind for weapon skills and material whereas previous chapters i just at least use the upgrades available in the area)

Modron

Arcane
Basically you find boards you can slot for specific items yielding all kinds of different bonuses from simple stat increases to changing specific elemental spells into new ones but the meat of it is once you slot a board you it lets you upgrade items by feeding materials and items into the equipment to improve the stats.

If you just stick with improving the first weapon/armor you find boards for it tends to even out that difficulty spikes because you'll upgrade your damage/defense as you improve them. Like I said the grind becomes something you do across the rest of the post script instead of something you had to do at specific instances such as because you couldn't handle a boss. Plus there are additional extra hard bosses out there to find in the new areas you visit so you have an endgame challenge to build towards. You might have to grind a little for those guys.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
DLC incoming!
ASTLIBRA Revision First Year Anniversary
Hello, everyone...

Today we're celebrating ASTLIBRA Revision's first amazing year on Steam!

If you've waited for the perfect moment to own a copy of ASTLIBRA Revision - or if you have friends you would love to share its beautiful world with - we invite you to join in on this celebration with a 20% discount on Steam.

For those of you who often find themselves on the road preferring to slash through enemies on handheld pre-orders for the Switch are already live on the Nintendo eShop. This wouldn't be a celebration if you were to miss out on our anniversary discount, so all pre-orders on Switch are also 20% off for a limited time!

Finally, we know you've been itching to hear more about the upcoming ASTLIBRA DLC. Please know that its development is progressing smoothly so far. If you don't already, follow us on X and Instagram [www.instagram.com] to be the first to know about its progress and official release news ;)

From everyone here at WhisperGames, thank you for an amazing year!

WhisperGames Team

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I am playing the postcript now after a few weeks break. Really enjoying the story, and the payoff is really here.

i fucking loved

How the planet is square, which sometimes i can attribute to fantasy bullshit, but the game has acknowledged there are planets and stars, so square/flat planet doesnt make sense. Turns out it's a floating, artificial satelite above the actual planet to escape from planet devouring monster, and with the help of gods made the whole thing divorced from spacetime by putting it on a timeloop to help with overpopulation and resource crisis.

Gameplay wise, it feels more of the same and i am glad i took a break, because honestly it's the same dungeon, bosses even they repeat few bosses (geas root).

The post game progression system is fun, i enjoyed the board and how it can change your active and passive skills, but it's too much rng. I am just lucky that i got the board for my main weapon very quickly, and doubled it's attack.

My only complain is the dungeon layout is pretty boring. It's just so flat so far. If you play postcript dungeon, that is basically it. Might vary later idk, but you have a screen that's basically a box with slightly different elevation, with doors that lead to similar room, thats it. It's just mostly a horizontal flat terrain without platforms, etc.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Finished this. Fucking A masterpiece. While the dialogue is amateurish, but the story is freaking amazing. I definitely did not expect this depth when i came in, but by the end i am in love with every part of this game even the janky part. Looking forward to the DLC too, with an ending like that anything is possible. This game is just

:love::love::love::love::love:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I played up until the Goblin King section and I don't understand why the combat system can get any praise. I was hoping for 2D DMC, this feels worse than Salt & Sanctuary. When does it get better?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I played up until the Goblin King section and I don't understand why the combat system can get any praise. I was hoping for 2D DMC, this feels worse than Salt & Sanctuary. When does it get better?
this game is more number / build based than action/player skill based. albei at this point you dont have that much options yet, but it opens up more later

Modron

Arcane

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1718570/view/3902996609893964691
ASTLIBRA Revision Gaiden: The Cave of Phantom Mist DLC
Hello everyone,

Since its release on Steam in October 2022, ASTLIBRA Revision has received widespread recognition from players and gaming media alike. Achieving an "overwhelmingly positive" status on Steam, ASTLIBRA successfully launched on the Nintendo Switch in November 2023. We cannot express how thankful we are for your continuous support!

But now, it's time to embark on a new adventure...

ASTLIBRA's upcoming DLC, "ASTLIBRA Revision Gaiden: The Cave of Phantom Mist," is almost here and its Steam store page is now live!

b80e5f5ed03697cdaa46fca71e480a444b16e4c0.png

ASTLIBRA's Gaiden is the culmination of a year's worth of collaboration between KEIZO and the WhisperGames team. Some of you may have also noticed the removal of the "mini" part from the originally announced title, "mini-Gaiden." This change is due to the Gaiden now containing more content than initially planned, adding a whopping extra 20 hours of gameplay.

We are now sprinting towards the finish line, with internal testing of the multi-language version underway and an official release planned for the first quarter of 2024. More updates will be coming in hot, so make sure you Wishlist and Follow its Steam store page to stay tuned.

Oh, and don't forget that ASTLIBRA Revision is currently participating in the Steam Winter Sales. If you've always wanted to own a copy or gift it to friend, this is the best time!

Leaving you with this great news, we wish you all a Happy New Year!

WhisperGames Team

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
ASTLIBRA Revision Gaiden scheduled to be released on February 13th
Hello everyone,

We are pleased to announce ASTLIBRA Revision Gaiden: The Cave of Phantom Mist is scheduled for release on February 13th. This eagerly awaited addon plunges players into the heart of danger that still plagues the town of Rispadar.

In the DLC players will embark on an epic journey as The Cave of Phantom Mist beckons you to return to the mystical realm of ASTLIBRA Revision!

539d97a5265f51e0503f280b1ebf6f6f7a381699.png

As chaos unfolds and the whereabouts of the ‘Hero chosen by the Scales’ remains shrouded in mystery, an unlikely champion emerges to answer the call – a humble bakery girl. Overcoming internal strife, and external threats, she bravely steps forward to face the challenges of destiny, marking the commencement of a gripping new chapter in the Legends of ASTLIBRA.

ASTLIBRA Revision Gaiden: The Cave Phantom Mist offers a fresh perspective on the ASTLIBRA saga, delving deeper into the intricacies of the game's world and character relationships and elevating the original game's randomized maze elements! This DLC also promises an exhilarating adventure with a richer variety of rooms, challenges, and experiences...

Originally a short work completed by KEIZO in 2015, The Cave of Phantom Mist has now evolved into a lavish masterpiece. This DLC is the culmination of extensive content additions and enhancements, drawing from the development experience of the full version of ASTLIBRA Revision and KEIZO's decade-long refinement of ASTLIBRA's captivating narrative.

Features and Facts

• ASTLIBRA Revision has been received with critical acclaim as one of the top JRPGs of 2023
  • The original game amassed 20,000+ Steam reviews with a stellar 95% overwhelmingly positive rating
  • The Cave of Phantom Mist DLC offers a standalone gaming experience, seamlessly integrating with the original game
  • Enjoy a complete overhaul of combat and magic systems for a fresh and dynamic gameplay experience
  • Experience quality-of-life improvements enhancing overall gameplay
  • DLC is soon to be released for the Nintendo Switch

Along with the introduction of a new protagonist, players will witness a dramatic overhaul of the gameplay system! Revel in a dynamic dress-up system that emphasizes individuality and flair, a lightning-fast yet tactical magic system, and a style system that amplifies specific combat builds. The Gaiden is meticulously crafted to provide players a captivating and refreshing experience throughout an approximately 20-hour-long journey.

Meet us in the Cave of Phantom Mist on February 13th,
A soon-to-be hero bakery girl is waiting for you!

WhisperGames Team

Machocruz

Arcane
Hilarious that "amateurs" are doing better 2 and 2.5D than the big names are. This looks better than Bloodstained, Actraiser Renaissance, Dracula X Chronicles, etc.

EDIT: Apparently he had a Vanillaware artist on board. Winning.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I picked this up a bit ago and started messing with it today. The story stuff seems somewhat interesting which is uncommon for me, so that's a plus. Other than that, it reminds me of something like Ys III from back in the day. Pretty simple side scroller combat, but it's not bad and I'm pretty early on.

You can choose your stat increases on level up, so there's at least some character customization. How much that is overall and what sort of difference it makes later on, I have no idea.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Played trough the DLC up to the first boss. Pretty good so far. Similar, yet different progression. You dont really level up, but you get level up crystals as random drop and gacha reward. You still grind for force, but you can only level up in certain points (aka your room and other special areas) and levelling up is still the same.

New spells, lots of them and so far they are still powerful. You companion is now polin. But the MC's magic is now innate instead of polin morphing into pokemons.

Karon skill (now called polin's skill) is still the same. Maybe there are new ones i havent unlocked yet but it worked the same.

There is a new "class" system that changes your stats and basic active skills (explorer can do a rapid slash, and magician can charge stamina without attacking) using these skills cost "style points" that regen over time.

Armor changed into pauldrons, but you have fashion now which probably increase your style points. You can have hairstyle, hair accessories, tops and skirts. Idk about them yet because aside from basic color change, clothes are expensive.

Dungeon works like postscript final dungeon with some addition like you can find random shooting range that gives rewards, random room full of monsters or mini boss, etc.

The story is still pretty fun too and i expect some twists like in the main game.

Thats being rogue like, this is a game that i play in shorter bursts instead of binging like in the main game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom