Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Origins - it's an RPG now

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I can't think of any other open world games even worth a glance beyond New Vegas.

It's true.

Still there's have been some incline this year. Zelda BotW, Divinity Original Sin 2, Grimoire and in 2016 the total conversion mod for Skyrim Enderal.
Uhhh Gothic games.

Paul_cz

Arcane
But...why? In that regard, shouldn't you watch a documentary on Ancient Rome/Egypt/whatever for a more accurate, more informative and more interesting depiction of those times, that also doesn't waste your time with filler bullshit?

I would say please don't support these games, but it's far too late for that.

I like to soak up the atmosphere. Kinda hard to do with documentary as opposed to experiencing it interactively.
Plus I enjoy well done graphics in games. AC Unity is something I enjoyed a lot (although it helped that it had somewhat likeable protagonist and improved gameplay mechanics):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq73vqEM2V8

You've bought it, or you just say this based on LPs?

Watching videos. I will probably buy it eventually like I do every AC for reasons above. But I buy them heavily discounted.

Ash

Arcane
I can't think of any other open world games even worth a glance beyond New Vegas.

It's true.

Still there's have been some incline this year. Zelda BotW, Divinity Original Sin 2, Grimoire and in 2016 the total conversion mod for Skyrim Enderal.
Uhhh Gothic games.

Sorry, I meant modern open world games. Well, this was heavily implied if you look a couple posts back. Old school is perfectly acceptable, there's many decent ones. But anything post-decline (7th gen consoles)? Very little of note as always.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
But...why? In that regard, shouldn't you watch a documentary on Ancient Rome/Egypt/whatever for a more accurate, more informative and more interesting depiction of those times, that also doesn't waste your time with filler bullshit?

I would say please don't support these games, but it's far too late for that.

I like to soak up the atmosphere. Kinda hard to do with documentary as opposed to experiencing it interactively.
Plus I enjoy well done graphics in games. AC Unity is something I enjoyed a lot (although it helped that it had somewhat likeable protagonist and improved gameplay mechanics):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq73vqEM2V8

Watching videos. I will probably buy it eventually like I do every AC for reasons above. But I buy them heavily discounted.
Purge yourself from the gene pool! Go to a vet and castrate yourself!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It's true.

Uhhh Gothic games.

Sorry, I meant modern open world games. Well, this was heavily implied if you look a couple posts back. Old school is perfectly acceptable, there's many decent ones. But anything post-decline (7th gen consoles)? Very little of note as always.
Witcher 3 is amazing in some aspects. I even stopped watched around in this game. Still the exploration is missed opportunity. It have such amazing level design but there is nothing to be gained from exploration. Just some useless mmo level loot. Same could be said about D:OS 1/2 .Also the glorious ELEX,a true incline if you ask me.

Apparently there's no level-scaling of the mobs in this game so we've finally reached a point where an Assassin's Creed game is more of a hardcore RPG than anything Bethesda has done in over a decade. I even heard some YouTube peons whinging about wandering into a higher level area and being one hit killed. Mechanically speaking, if the likes of Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, and, yes, The Witcher 3 are legit aRPGs then AC:O is also a legit aRPG. It may be a complete piece of shit as an aRPG, but we'll never know for sure unless a prestigious magazine reviews it and tells us what to think.

Astral Rag

Arcane
50d481e3c8a5dffcaa0456a356dfbf952cd3566b.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The only ACs I've installed were the first one, played through the tutorial, and Syndicate, where I was curious about the depiction of Victorian London. I haven't spent more than five hours in either one.

I had a similar approach to FO4 - installed it out of curiosity and played for 11 hours, but I was taking my time. For the rest RK47's LP was enough. In all cases I found the games to be unbearable to the unaccustomed brain.

This AC may be the first where I will spend more hours in it, but I doubt I'll be playing quests.

I'll apply the witcher 3 rule - if I spend more than 30 hours in it, I'll pay the base price in steam. Given my play style, I think that's a fair amount of time to spend evaluating, and also, some sort of punishment for my stupidity to play this will be needed.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So far it's pretty underwhelming. For now it's easy enough to clobber everyone to death with randomly hitting the attack buttons. You can now destroy statues of the evil oppressor - a totally new idea.
The game lets you loot crap everywhere - right in the beginning, you stand on a heap of gold and when you click the loot button, you get 3 gold pieces, now that's immersive. Carrying corpses and whistling is back, at least some improvement.
The environment and buildings, especially temples look nice.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So far it's pretty underwhelming. For now it's easy enough to clobber everyone to death with randomly hitting the attack buttons. You can now destroy statues of the evil oppressor - a totally new idea.
The game lets you loot crap everywhere - right in the beginning, you stand on a heap of gold and when you click the loot button, you get 3 gold pieces, now that's immersive. Carrying corpses and whistling is back, at least some improvement.
The environment and buildings, especially temples look nice.

How much of an RPG is it really?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It does feel a bit different from the previous games and there are certainly superficial ARPG like elements and mechanics. You get inundated with random crap and not so crap weapons like in Diablo TW3 and enemies have their level over their head, while yours is displayed in the right upper corner together with your XP bar which goes up for finishing quest, killing enemies and finding new places. C&C none so far (other than ignoring quests - if you don't help the blacksmith, the shop stays closed).

You can explore the area freely, but clearing enemy camps is neither new to the series nor to Ubisoft titles. It feels much more open than a city centered title like Unity, but no so much more open than Rogue.

There are story side quests which start a bit more naturally than the ones in previous titles. The skill tree lets you slightly influence you play style, but some are just XP buffs (more XP for doing this and that) and unlocking combat / assassination moves has been in the series before. I only played 2-3 hours or so, so it's just first impressions.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It does feel a bit different from the previous games and there are certainly superficial ARPG like elements and mechanics. You get inundated with random crap and not so crap weapons like in Diablo TW3 and enemies have their level over their head, while yours is displayed in the right upper corner together with your XP bar which goes up for finishing quest, killing enemies and finding new places. C&C none so far (other than ignoring quests - if you don't help the blacksmith, the shop stays closed).

You can explore the area freely, but clearing enemy camps is neither new to the series nor to Ubisoft titles. It feels much more open than a city centered title like Unity, but no so much more open than Rogue.

There are story side quests which start a bit more naturally than the ones in previous titles. The skill tree lets you slightly influence you play style, but some are just XP buffs (more XP for doing this and that) and unlocking combat / assassination moves has been in the series before. I only played 2-3 hours or so, so it's just first impressions.
How much sjw there is in the game? Is the nigger just for pc points put on,or is he feeling genuinely as the protagonist?

How much of an RPG is it really?
You can ride around on a horse and simultaneously kill things. It has achieved Todd Howard's vision of an RPG. Which is more than Todd Howard ever did.

Funnily enough for such a casual, mainstream series they went the exact opposite route of recent TES games. They've applied boosts to to enemies which over-level you, which is something Borderlands also did but not as extreme, so enemies are much stronger than the small level difference would indicate. In fact, an enemy four levels over your own is barely beatable and five levels or more is effectively invincible. I thought the YouTube commentators just couldn't into RPGs when they were complaining about the higher level enemies, but it turns out they had a point. You can walk from a low level area into a neighboring higher-level area and have no chance whatsoever of defeating anything there.

You get XP for killing things, you get XP for completing quests, you get XP for certain side activities and discovering new locations. Your character levels up and gets more powerful. There's a rudimentary skill tree. You've got seven kinds of melee weapons, a shield, and four kinds of bow. Your base stats are health, ranged attack power, and melee attack power, which are improved by leveling up and crafting (breastplate and bracers). When playing content +/- 3 levels of the PC's current level it feels to me like a functional, albeit mechanically simplistic, aRPG. Outside of those level ranges it starts to fall apart.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
There's a rudimentary skill tree. You've got seven kinds of melee weapons, a shield, and four kinds of bow. Your base stats are health, ranged attack power, and melee attack power, which are improved by leveling up and crafting (breastplate and bracers). When playing content +/- 3 levels of the PC's current level it feels to me like a functional, albeit mechanically simplistic, aRPG. Outside of those level ranges it starts to fall apart.

Yes, but it's all not so new, AC had different kinds of weapons before, which came with different boots to ranged, stealth and melee. Sometimes it feels the biggest difference is that the UI presents the same stats and equipment in a more RPG styled way.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Funnily enough for such a casual, mainstream series they went the exact opposite route of recent TES games. They've applied boosts to to enemies which over-level you, which is something Borderlands also did but not as extreme, so enemies are much stronger than the small level difference would indicate.
Witcher 3 does the same thing with enemies above your level.

There's a rudimentary skill tree. You've got seven kinds of melee weapons, a shield, and four kinds of bow. Your base stats are health, ranged attack power, and melee attack power, which are improved by leveling up and crafting (breastplate and bracers). When playing content +/- 3 levels of the PC's current level it feels to me like a functional, albeit mechanically simplistic, aRPG. Outside of those level ranges it starts to fall apart.
But are choices of character development real choices, do they really improve your abilities noticeably, or you can kill anything any way you want with or without skills?

Yes, but it's all not so new, AC had different kinds of weapons before, which came with different boots to ranged, stealth and melee. Sometimes it feels the biggest difference is that the UI presents the same stats and equipment in a more RPG styled way.
You may be right. The only other AC game I've played is Black Flag and I just stayed on the ship the most of the time listening to sea shanties until I got bored and uninstalled.

Witcher 3 does the same thing with enemies above your level.
It does, but not as extreme. All the red skull stuff I fought in TW3 was beatable with the right tactics/potions/or sheer persistence.

But are choices of character development real choices, do they really improve your abilities noticeably, or you can kill anything any way you want with or without skills?
Some of them unlock new abilities that like poison dart, or control animal. Some of them add new power attack styles, counters and combos. Some of them are just crappy micro bonuses to damage. And the remainder are a weird jumble of miscellaneous stuff like the ability to advance the time of day or own a chariot.

I played through the entirety of The Witcher 3 on blood and broken bones difficulty without investing a single point into any skill, and I imagine the same could be done in this game. They're both just twitch games at the end of the day. The improved power attack skills/counters are useful though -- less time hitting the dodge key/circle strafing.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm disappointed nobody has figured out how to turn the 200 Helix from after the prologue into 20000 helix at this point honestly. Surely they could have done better.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
It also has to be mentioned that they nerfed air assasinations and jump distance while parkour.
Since Black Flag you could assasinate people literally from nearly all heights, it was retarded.
But more retarded was parkour from Unity, character was jumping around like superhero, it evaporated entire fun from running.
It seems that they at least try, despite plot being shit from what I've seen. Shit as well are dialogs, pure dissapointment.
Combat is harder than in previous game, although it still isn't hard.

Stealth has declined in my opinion, Hidden Blade as upgradable weapon that gets only damage with upgrades is shit.
I can't stealth kill enemies only beceause they have high level, despite them looking the same. They just push my hand away, it's so stupid.
I understand they wanted to balance the game, but stealth kills shouldn't be balanced in such way, they could just restrict it to specific type of enemies, you would need upgrades to kill them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom