Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed: Origins is a lot better than Odyssey

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
Origins had better fire and water effects, despite coming out first. Odyssey is more geographically correct. Both are historically inaccurate, and Origins had a better and more memorable OST. Kassanda/Alexios are a more interesting protagonist than Bayek and forced Aya plays though. Removing constant flip back to the present is also a plus in Odyssey. Gameplay of Origins is generally better however, I must agree. As RPGs, both are pretty light. Odyssey still feels more interesting and awe-inspiring overall. I originally though Origins may be better, but it's more like a tie.

BruceVC

Magister
There is a tried and tested formulae to enjoying all Ubisoft games. I played and completed Odyssey in October 2021 and it was great but to enjoy games like FC and AC you cant play them regularly, maybe 1-2 year, and the moment you start getting bored of the standard " Ubisoft repetitive activities " you focus on the main quest.

Odyssey had some entertaining features that exist in most Ubisoft games, these include
  • a beautiful and authentic world set in ancient Greece
  • monsters like the Minotaur made a nice change
  • I enjoyed the naval combat and once I mastered it I use to seek out ships to battle
  • I liked killing the bounty hunters sent after me
  • killing people in the various factions and cults is always fun. I liked how you didnt know who you had to kill in the cult hierarchy until you assasinated lesser members

Serus

Arcane
Patron
- Setting: Odyssey is set in classical Greece, which is quite similar to many other games, since much of western fantasy is based on medieval Europe, which is not that different from ancient Greece.
:nocountryforshitposters:
If differences aren't in games it is because of games (obviously including this one) not actual similarities.

I meant in terms of the climate, flora, fauna, etc.
So do I.

First: Ancient Greece in classical era wasn't the same one as today. You need to add western Asia Minor, and Megálē Hellás - Magna Grecia (southern Italy). Perhaps even all areas of Greek colonisation. OTOH remove Epirus and Macedonia.
Greece has Mediterranean climate, relatively arid and hot, very different than England and Western Europe in general - the one you see in usual fantasy hacks and games. Which means a significantly different type of vegetation, that includes agriculture as well to some extent. Remove significant rivers or large expanses of plains or big areas of forests but add a lot of mountains.
More important than the above, Greece was a culture (and geography) strongly centred around the sea! Sea transport was paramount for most. Do you remember sea mentioned in Tolkien's trilogy (other than Elves leaving middle-earth, once or twice)? No? Because there are like 2 or 3 cases, all in 3rd tome, that's all. Even less (or none?) in Hobbit. Games are based on that. If a game on Greece does not include a lot of sea, sea voyages (like in Odyssey - the original one, pun is intended), sea battles or wars overseas then it is doing it very wrong. And by that reason alone it is in some ways more different than an Egypt setting.

Does the images below look like your imagination tell you Shire, Gondor or Mirkwood should look?
A9omCRJ.jpg

Se5CEEY.jpg

Last edited:
- Setting: Odyssey is set in classical Greece, which is quite similar to many other games, since much of western fantasy is based on medieval Europe, which is not that different from ancient Greece.
:nocountryforshitposters:
If differences aren't in games it is because of games (obviously including this one) not actual similarities.

I meant in terms of the climate, flora, fauna, etc.
So do I.

First: Ancient Greece in classical era wasn't the same one as today. You need to add western Asia Minor, and Megálē Hellás - Magna Grecia (southern Italy). Perhaps even all areas of Greek colonisation. OTOH remove Epirus and Macedonia.
Greece has Mediterranean climate, relatively arid and hot, very different than England and Western Europe in general - the one you see in usual fantasy hacks and games. Which means a significantly different type of vegetation, that includes agriculture as well to some extent. Remove significant rivers or large expanses of plains or big areas of forests but add a lot of mountains.
More important than the above, Greece was a culture (and geography) strongly centred around the sea! Sea transport was paramount for most. Do you remember sea mentioned in Tolkien's trilogy (other than Elves leaving middle-earth, once or twice)? No? Because there are like 2 or 3 cases, all in 3rd tome, that's all. Even less (or none?) in Hobbit. Games are based on that. If a game on Greece does not include a lot of sea, sea voyages (like in Odyssey - the original one, pun is intended), sea battles or wars overseas then it is doing it very wrong. And by that reason alone it is in some ways more different than an Egypt setting.

Does the images below look like your imagination tell you Shire, Gondor or Mirkwood should look?
A9omCRJ.jpg

Se5CEEY.jpg

Always at least one uber-autist per thread, eh? I didn't say in the OP they were exactly the same, I said they werent THAT different. Western Europe also has mountains and hills and green vegetation and seas/oceans, so yes, while there are various differences, Odyssey's setting is not that different from most western RPGs. While Origins' is.

Fearlessjay

Novice
The Assassin Creed games remind me of Jason Statham films. I usually tend to enjoy them but can't tell you anything that happened in them. Odyssey I preferred to Origins simply because Alexios was hilarious. I find Vahalla hard going though. And one day I hope to complete on, and actually try out the DLC's that come after.

Codex Year of the Donut
pre-odysssey ACs aren't even like odyssey
origins sort of is, but mostly isn't

these games aren't even comparable, it's like comparing a stealth+action game to witcher 3

bloodlover

Arcane
I think that most would agree about Origins being the better game. Better setting, better story, better character, better combat. My major gripe with it is that it paved the way for the "sandbox" AC and killed the city exploration that we had before.

The thing is, if Ubisoft stuck with what made Origins better (deeper combat, less repetitive gameplay compared to Odyssey), and hell, maybe even hired good writers, they could've made a good open world RPG. Instead they went the Odyssey route.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom