Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ARPGamer

Dynimix

Novice
Project: Eternity
Hey guys, I just wanted to post about ARPGamer, a magazine devoted to ARPGs. While RPG Codex is mostly devoted to traditional RPGs, I know that many of you play games such as Diablo, Torchlight, and Titan Quest. They will also be covering traditional RPGs throughout some of the magazines. Check out the Kickstarter for this magazine:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1603039503/arpgamer-magazine-0?ref=live

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Which sort of ARPG are you referring to? The hack n' slash dungeon crawler Diablo/Torchlight sort of ARPG, or the action adventure with dialogue choices Witcher/Mass Effect/Skyrim sort of ARPG?

Fens

Ford of the Llies
i don't think a quarterly magazine will work the way your mockup on the kickstarter page is designed. news are obviously out (unless you get very lucky with timing), so you're left with speculations (which could be/will be very out of date at the time of 'print') or in depth articles (which people will hardly pay for, unless you're really really good... not sure about that).

your arpg website on the other hand might work, so you might want to concentrate on collecting the best articles of the last quarter and revising them for the mag (and expand on them there, add what has happened since the article went live etc.)

Machocruz

Arcane
Great, more experts who think action-RPG = only Diablo clones. I'll wait until I see a Darklands issue before I pledge.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I never heard anyone calling Diablo and it's clones "action" before reading these forums.

Oh Raly? Let's see... you joined in 2011...

Hexus article from 2006: "Action RPG’s have been dominated in the past by the Diablo series of games." http://hexus.net/gaming/features/pc/6063-first-15-titan-quest-pc/

Joystiq article from 2007: "Take-Two announced yesterday it will be publishing the Diablo-esque action-RPG Silverfall on the PSP this summer in Europe." http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/19/take-two-to-publish-silverfall-on-psp/

Gamasutra article from 2007: "With PC action-RPG players waiting around for the next Diablo, Titan Quest seems to seek to fill the void" http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/column_index.php?story=8350

And there's more and older, but I discovered these with google and within 5 minutes of reading your post. The term "Action RPG" has been with us for quite awhile, though it's understandable that you might not be as familiar with the term if you are not from the US or UK.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sounds like you would run out of things to write about on the second issue... in fact, even your mock up issue seems to have run out of games to talk about. :P

Shiki

Learned
And there's more and older, but I discovered these with google and within 5 minutes of reading your post. The term "Action RPG" has been with us for quite awhile, though it's understandable that you might not be as familiar with the term if you are not from the US or UK.

Not necessarily, we use the term in France too. It even has its wikipedia page :
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action-RPG
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catégorie:Action_RPG

Category on popular gaming sites : http://www.canardpc.com/info-action RPG.html

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
why not just rpgs?

There have been a lot of writings on the difference between RPGs and Action RPGs, but I'll try to sum it up briefly. An action RPG is normally considered an action game with RPG elements, such as stats, quests that give items and experience, and level-ups. Damage per second becomes the most important factor in many action RPGs. Diablo is one example of this as much of what you do is explore a dungeon and click furiously whenever you see an enemy. They are fast-paced games where reaction speed becomes important.

However, RPGs differ from Action RPGs in their slower pace where tactical thought and resource consideration is more important than reaction time. Mental challenges such as riddles and puzzles are frequently used to allow clever players to solve quests without having to rely on brute force. Many RPGs are turn-based because of this focus on beating difficult encounters through intelligent play.

Action RPGs are such games as Diablo, Nox and the World of Warcraft MMO.

RPGs are such games as SSI's Pool of Radiance, Might and Magic, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout 1.

Ironically, Diablo was based on rogue-like games, but those games are slower paced and button mashing will often get you killed, unlike in Diablo where button mashing was often necessary. Also, rogue-like games such as Nethack have their own internal puzzles that Diablo lacks.

Games such as Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim walk the line between an action RPG and regular RPG. Often these Bethesda games are simple button mashers, but they do occasionally have quests that can be solved without fighting or being ridiculous fetch quests.

Action RPGs and action games are being blended so often that they have more in common than action RPGs do with normal RPGs. Mass Effect (2007) has more in common with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (2004), than it does with Temple of Elemental Evil (2003).

Here's TV Trope's take: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ActionRPG
"Action RPG

A Role-Playing Game mixed with Action Adventure. While these games retain many RPG Elements such as experience, levels, statistics, giant inventories, and sometimes even random battles, the gameplay is primarily that of action. You run up to an enemy and hit it with your sword, rather than selecting the "Attack" action from a menu. Often this means seamless interaction between you and the enemies, rather than thinking of two different parts of gameplay (the exploration and the battles). Think Zelda but with more statistics, experience, depth, and people to talk to. Battle menus can still exist, but generally need to be manually brought up rather than an integral part of the battle process. This genre is essentially a subset of Eastern RPG; it attained massive popularity in Japan in the mid-1980s. While many Western RPGs have mixtures of battle and action, this is much more built into the definition of a Western RPG, and hence less of a separate genre. Eastern games, on the other hand, tend to be more firmly in either the "traditional RPG" or "action RPG" camp. There are some games that blur the line between the two, though, featuring a separate battle system which nevertheless is action-based (so you may wander the world and get into a random battle, in which case you suddenly have to be on your toes). Compare Beat Em Ups, in which Action RPGs derive their basic gameplay, but do not contain the RPG Elements."

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Not sure how WoW is an action RPG.

I admit I never played WoW, but simply watched over the shoulder as my sister ran through the game. From my perspective it just looked like a click fest with inventory management and fetch quests. If there is more depth and puzzles to the game that makes it more of a regular RPG than an action RPG like Diablo, then I apologize. Whatever it is, it doesn't interest me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I admit I never played WoW, but simply watched over the shoulder as my sister ran through the game. From my perspective it just looked like a click fest with inventory management and fetch quests. If there is more depth and puzzles to the game that makes it more of a regular RPG than an action RPG like Diablo, then I apologize. Whatever it is, it doesn't interest me.

WoW is based on auto-attack and to-hit rolls. It's not a click-fest - not any more than Dragon Age: Origins, at least.

TheNizzo

Educated
Late-game is very much a hotkey fest, though. Certain classes in particular will have a glut of skills and stuff to keep track of, to the point where healers and such need specific UI plugins to be able to function effectively.

I've never played beyond level 10 if I'm honest, I'm just basing that on cursory glances at my roommate's WoW client back when he played. He was a disorganized person in general but the UI clutter he had looked like 90s malware.

Dynimix

Novice
Sorry guys for the delayed response.

I was planning on defining Action RPGs slightly, but Deuce Traveler did an excellent job of defining it (though we wont cover wow)! Thank you for that!! As he mentioned, games such as Fallout, Oblivion, Skyrim, and Borderlands IMO toe this line between traditional RPG and Action RPG. We will still be reporting on these and many others that are close. In all reality, we will also be reporting on important RPGs that will be released as well such as Project Eternity and others. So those of you that play tactical/traditional RPGs exclusively will

As for content, we will have plenty. I know that many see on the Kickstarter that the some of the content sections are blank. This is not because we do not have content, these are only placeholders and we do not want to reveal all of our articles right now. Also, there is much content that will need to be written nearer to our April 1st launch date that will be more relevant. As for running out of stories, that simply won't happen. Just over the past month we have found 10 new ARPGs that are in the works for PC alone and several others. We also have already lined up exclusive interviews from some excellent companies. So again, we will have plenty of content.

And thank you for not nailing me to the wall for posting here as that tends to happen in other forums. I have greatly appreciated your feedback!! Again, it is only a $1 to get the first issue so it will be worth a shot to see if you like it. Thanks!

kris

Arcane
Hey guys, I just wanted to post about ARPGamer, a magazine devoted to ARPGs. While RPG Codex is mostly devoted to traditional RPGs, I know that many of you play games such as Diablo, Torchlight, and Titan Quest. They will also be covering traditional RPGs throughout some of the magazines. Check out the Kickstarter for this magazine:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1603039503/arpgamer-magazine-0?ref=live

Most ARPG publishers have money enough to support you in your quest to promote their games. I am sure you will do okay. Also, enjoy the trips and remember that giving some guy a blowjob doesn't make you gay.

Weierstraß

Learned
I only did it for the Race Traitor tag. And you know what, if you start calling RtwP games "action games", I'm probably going to disagree on that too.

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan
we used to have graficswhores, romancewhores now it has come to forum title whores......
the decline never stops

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom