Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ArmA2 Videos

MetalCraze

Arcane
Trash said:
Seizure inducing shaky camera and rapid viewpoints changes does not indicate anything like good camera work. Sorry Skyway, it's shit.

I'd disagree. In this case it rather adds motion. Tony Scott style. I certainly would be bored watching camera pointing at the same thing from the same angle for more than 5 seconds in an action video.

Disregarding that - what's in your opinion a good video and camera work then?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I LIKED HOW I WON THE VIDEO JUST BY HITTING PLAY THIS IS EVEN EASIER THAN KOTOR2

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
MetalCraze said:
I certainly would be bored watching camera pointing at the same thing from the same angle for more than 5 seconds in an action video

There's your problem and incidently also why most movies are shit nowadays. Lack of any attention span in the sugar addicted add crowd.

Project: Eternity
On the subject of what this game is actually about, is this a "everything in one" simulator where you can run around and shoot as well as hop into vehicles/planes etc.?

Suchy

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
On the subject of what this game is actually about, is this a "everything in one" simulator where you can run around and shoot as well as hop into vehicles/planes etc.?
Yeah.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:

Freelance Henchman said:
"Realistic" meaning you die immediately after being hit just once?

It's mostly dedicated to infantry combat, that's where it's got the most simmy stuff: especially when it comes to weapons - wind deflects bullets, there is bullet drop, ballistics are fair - bullet appears in the barrel and travels from there in real time - so if the enemy is running - you have to take that into account when aiming, there is recoil that kicks weapon and you have to readjust your aim - all this provides for some long, intense firefights.

Damage calculations are also done in a good way - damage is calculated based on the amount of armor and bullet speed/velocity when it hits. So f.e. if the bullet travelled for too long and slowed down enough when it hits your body armour you'll just feel the pain and your aim will shake for a while but no other damage will be done.

Vehicles receive less attention - f.e. chopper physics are quite realistic (wind affects handling, there is inertia that affects turning, losing rotor will mean that you will spin around at low speeds losing control, air density at high speeds is also taken into account etc.) but at the same time there is no stuff like pushing buttons in the cockpit. That pretty much goes for every other vehicle in the game.

As Trash said the multiplayer is the best part. Coop gaming with a serious tactical clan in particular - AI is good enough to provide needed challenge and with serious players even something as trivial as "clean the town" mission plays like an "army job".

AA2 campaign sucks for the most part, OA campaign is ok for a single playthrough to just get around the basics of the game. BAF campaign is good and challenging although short. If you really want to play a good SP campaign in this kind of game - then OFP which is the very first one in the series (and is also more arcadey) - is where it's at.

Project: Eternity
I'm imagining that you would need to respawn a whole damn lot, or not? The only game I remember that seems close to this is Operation Flashpoint where I played the single player a little.

MetalCraze

Arcane
AA2 is a direct sequel to OFP from the same guys. And it only became harder and less arcadey.

You can try an official demo or a "demo" to see how it works on your PC - just remember that the game is very demanding, and yet demo isn't patched so in the game with the final patch (there were 7 of them since) it runs much more smooth.

Respawn? Well it depends on the mission design and balance. If the mission is done by a good missionmaker - then you won't even need respawn there (it actually plays by default without it) and yet the mission will be intense. Surviving for 3 hours (or until the end of the mission which lasts about as much) is a norm.

Unfortunately I have to say that the majority of missions are not as good as that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLv8YfsZ ... re=related

This is how tactical multiplayer looks in-game (I never played with TacticalGamer though, although I'm interested). Unfortunately like with any strategy or any other tactical game it doesn't look as good as it plays (moving cautiously for 30 seconds through the open street in the video isn't the same as "shit there maybe enemies behind that corner")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHcQ3d68v1A

This is the mission with GOL. Fucking recon assholes - they were chillaxing, while the army (aka we) was being chased and wiped out by hind. Shit that was fun, in the end only I survived and ran that hind into the mountain, after a long run to the aforementioned mountain with dust going up all around me from hind's high cal fire - I thought I wouldn't survive through it. Too bad I was stupid enough not to have fraps running at the time.

Stoiv

Educated
MetalCraze said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLv8YfsZp1U&feature=related

This is how tactical multiplayer looks in-game (I never played with TacticalGamer though, although I'm interested). Unfortunately like with any strategy or any other tactical game it doesn't look as good as it plays (moving cautiously for 30 seconds through the open street in the video isn't the same as "shit there maybe enemies behind that corner")

This is the mission with GOL. Fucking recon assholes - they were chillaxing, while the army (aka we) was being chased and wiped out by hind. Shit that was fun, in the end only I survived and ran that hind into the mountain, after a long run to the aforementioned mountain with dust going up all around me from hind's high cal fire - I thought I wouldn't survive through it. Too bad I was stupid enough not to have fraps running at the time.

Too much larping, I'll stick with PR thank you.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Stoiv said:
MetalCraze said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLv8YfsZp1U&feature=related

Too much larping, I'll stick with PR thank you.
:thumbsup:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I THINK THE GUY LARPING SHOOTERS AND CALLING YOUTUBE VIDEOS A GAME IS A RETARD BUT I COULD BE WRONG

CrimHead

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
CrimHead said:
God damn you're one retarded motherfucker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOqdULSd ... re=related

ahahaha what the fuck is this shit

Wow. You have found a bug in 1.5 years old 1.00 version of AA2, congratulations.
Who is retard now?

Congrats, the video you posted of PR is equally as old, and is played co-op, which is not at all representative of how the game actually plays online.

Who is retard?

Not me :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom