Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Austin and Tango Gameworks shut down by Microsoft

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Microsoft's recent acquisitions are Bethesda and Acti-Blizz.
Bethesda is notoriously fat, full of incompetent people who work there because their uncle works there. I get that might need trimming.
However, Acti-Blizz already had a bad trim and then a bad bulk to follow. They were firing "useless eaters", then noticed their lack, and hired back 5x as many people to do the same job, because it takes 5 interns to do the job of 1 seasoned PR/GM, whatever support staff.
So now that Microsoft has all these Activision managers, who experienced and remember the bad cut/bulk cycle at Acti-Blizz... they wouldn't do it agian, right?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Still have my fingers crossed that Microsoft will do to Obsidian what Avellone suggested and fire the top management.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Still have my fingers crossed that Microsoft will do to Obsidian what Avellone suggested and fire the top management.
I still have my hope up that Microsoft and all of their property will burn to the ground.
Gaming, sure thing. As for the rest, you think you would have open source and Linux ascend to dominance but in reality would get Google or worse fill out the vacuum with unspeakable horrors and decline.

:prosper:

Hell Swarm

Educated
Sony needs to buy FromSoftware before M$ gets their filthy hands on them. Say what you want about Songay but atleast they don't ruthlessly kill off their first party studios.
FS is stable enough to not be completelly bought by anyone. Getting sold to any major corporation, yet alone Western one, as Sony, is a death sentence for a good game developer.
Despite it being the son of a whore Bungie was also stable when it was bought up.

Freedos

Novice
I had played Hi-fi Rush a month ago and I enjoyed it greatly. My favourite Tango Gameworks game. And I see it's their final one now because Microsoft being Microsoft. Again. And...ugh...Hi-Fi Rush was supossed to be a success. Or it was a big lie or it's just incompetence (I would'nt be surprised).

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I had played Hi-fi Rush a month ago and I enjoyed it greatly. My favourite Tango Gameworks game. And I see it's their final one now because Microsoft being Microsoft. Again. And...ugh...Hi-Fi Rush was supossed to be a success. Or it was a big lie or it's just incompetence (I would'nt be surprised).

It doesn't matter, MS only wants Fallout, Call of Dooty, and Warcraft/Starcraft from now on. Big Blockbuster franchises or bust.

Hell Swarm

Educated
What do you define as a success and since when did success matter in the era of woke garbage flopping monthly and Disney still shitting out another black woman led star wars?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Arkane Austin deserved it, though Bethesda management deserved it a lot more.

Tango Gameworks is curious, but Hi-Fi Rush was released over a year ago. I would hope that shutting them down has more to do with difficulties with whatever they were working on for the past year+, MS deciding to just cut their losses.

Fargus

Arcane
They are still milking it as multiplayer franchise i guess, selling their shitty skins and battlepasses. Singleplayer was always cancer in these games, or at least since modern warfare.

Tango Gameworks is curious, but Hi-Fi Rush was released over a year ago. I would hope that shutting them down has more to do with difficulties with whatever they were working on for the past year+, MS deciding to just cut their losses.

We’ve got no idea what state Tango Gameworks was even in when they closed them down.

Shinji Mikami left last year and has a new studio. It’s completely possible some key Tango staff, and some of the Tango staff have been with him since the Capcom days, ended up joining the new studio.

Shinji Mikami’s new studio, Ikumi Nakamura’s new studio, and Tatsuya Minami’s new studio that’s been doing Resident Evil games with Capcom could’ve all been pulling staff they previously worked with for new games. Does Hideki Kamiya have a new studio going yet?

Given that Ghostwire: Tokyo director Kenji Kimura’s most recent credit is on Bandai Namco‘s Tekken 8 as Online Lobby Art Director, it possible people may have been leaving ahead of this.

Deflowerer

Arcane

We’ve got no idea what state Tango Gameworks was even in when they closed them down.

Shinji Mikami left last year and has a new studio. It’s completely possible some key Tango staff, and some of the Tango staff have been with him since the Capcom days, ended up joining the new studio.

Shinji Mikami’s new studio, Ikumi Nakamura’s new studio, and Tatsuya Minami’s new studio that’s been doing Resident Evil games with Capcom could’ve all been pulling staff they previously worked with for new games. Does Hideki Kamiya have a new studio going yet?

Given that Ghostwire: Tokyo director Kenji Kimura’s most recent credit is on Bandai Namco‘s Tekken 8 as Online Lobby Art Director, it possible people may have been leaving ahead of this.

That's just errors in the credits. There are different people named Kenji Kimura. Ghostwire director is not the same as Bandai Namco dude.

sosmoflux

Educated
Kinda thought this thread would be more of a riot, but I suppose it's not a surprise to anyone here.

DemonKing

Arcane
Feargus will just keep getting away with it until he retires.
I’m assuming he’s on some kind of deal where he sticks around for a few years after they were purchased and then heads off into the Sunset (preferably for him just before MS closes the studio).

911 Jumper

Educated
Looks as if more cuts are on the way...
Microsoft’s Xbox Is Planning More Cuts After Studio Closings
Xbox is offering voluntary severance agreements to producers, quality assurance testers and other staff at ZeniMax as part of a broader cost-cutting initiative
The sudden closure of several video-game studios at Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox division was the result of a widespread cost-cutting initiative that still isn’t finished.

This week, Xbox began offering voluntary severance agreements to producers, quality assurance testers and other staff at ZeniMax, which it purchased in 2020 for $7.5 billion, according to people familiar with the company’s plans. Others across the Xbox organization have been told that more cuts are on the way.

A spokesperson for Xbox declined to comment.
Employees were shocked by the unexpected shuttering Tuesday of three Xbox subsidiaries and the absorption of a fourth. The closures included Tokyo-based Tango Gameworks, which last year released the critically acclaimed action game Hi-Fi Rush. Tango was in the process of pitching a sequel, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing nonpublic information.

During a town hall with ZeniMax staff on Wednesday morning, Xbox president Matt Booty praised Hi-Fi Rush but did not specify why the company had shut down the development studio behind it, according to three people who were in attendance.

Speaking about the closures more broadly, Booty said that the company’s studios had been spread too thin — like “peanut butter on bread” — and that leaders across the division had felt understaffed. They decided to close these studios to free up resources elsewhere, he said.

Booty added that the shutdown of subsidiary Arkane Austin, the longtime developer of games such as Prey, was not connected to the performance of its new multiplayer game, Redfall, a critical and commercial flop.

Before its closure, Arkane had been looking to return to its roots by pitching a new single-player “immersive sim” game, such as a new entry in the Dishonored series, according to the people familiar.

Jill Braff, head of ZeniMax studios, said in the town hall that she hoped the reorganization would allow the division, which also develops Fallout and Doom, to put more focus on fewer projects. “It’s hard to support nine studios all across the world with a lean central team with an ever-growing plate of things to do,” she said, according to audio of the meeting reviewed by Bloomberg.

“I think we were about to topple over,” she added.

Both Tango and Arkane released games last year and were looking to hire additional staff as they pitched new projects, which Booty and Braff suggested was the main factor behind their closures. Shinji Mikami, Tango’s founder and studio head, departed last year.
These cuts at Xbox come amid a wider contraction in the video-game industry due to economic shifts following a period of rapid growth during the pandemic. Recently, Microsoft’s gaming division has expanded more than any of its competitors via the acquisitions of ZeniMax and Activision Blizzard for more than $76 billion combined. In February, Microsoft cut 1,900 jobs, mostly at Activision Blizzard.

The massive Activision Blizzard acquisition has ramped up scrutiny on the Xbox division from leaders at Microsoft, according to people familiar.

In recent years, Xbox became deeply invested in Xbox Game Pass, a subscription service that offers unlimited access to hundreds of downloadable games for a monthly fee. To fill the service with new enticements, Xbox acquired dozens of studios, including outfits known for making smaller games, such as San Francisco-based Double Fine.

While most game publishers are looking to take big swings with games that cost hundreds of millions of dollars, Xbox promised to support less sprawling creative titles such as Hi-Fi Rush with smaller budgets and lower sales expectations. It didn’t matter if a game sold tens of millions of copies as long as it helped bolster the Game Pass library.

But Game Pass has not seen the massive growth that Xbox boss Phil Spencer may have been hoping for.

Mat Piscatella, executive director of analysis firm Circana, said that monthly, non-mobile, video-game subscription spending in the US “has been flat to low single-digit growth” since the middle of 2021.

“In our data, Game Pass spending really had its big growth period in late 2019 through early 2021 and has since settled,” Piscatella said. “Purchasing games and add-on content as well as free-to-play models are still the vastly preferred method of getting to video games by US consumers, at least for now.”

While there’s no indication that Xbox plans to ditch the Game Pass model, there are hints that its big bets have not paid off. During the most recent quarter, sales of Xbox content and services were up 62%, but as Niko Partners analyst Daniel Ahmad pointed out last month, the growth was entirely do to the acquisition of Activision Blizzard. On social media, he noted that without sales from that deal, Xbox gaming revenue would have been down approximately 5% year over year, “with no software and services growth and sharp hardware revenue decline.”

With console revenue down, the company recently began releasing some of its games on competing platforms. In a March interview with the gaming site Polygon, Spencer said that “the thing that has me most concerned for the industry is the lack of growth.”

Source: Bloomberg

911 Jumper

Educated
TLDR key bits of info

> COD on Game Pass being debated
> Game Pass Ultimate price increase considered
> Hellblade 2 on PS5 (under discussion)
> Core Xbox Game Studios facing cutbacks

Inside Microsoft’s Xbox turmoil

Just hours after learning that Microsoft was shutting down a number of game studios this week, Dinga Bakaba, head of Microsoft-owned Arkane Lyon, decided to let the company know how he felt about the decision — right in public. “Don’t throw us into gold fever gambits, don’t use us as strawmen for miscalculations / blind spots, don’t make our work environments Darwinist jungles,” Bakaba wrote on X.

Bakaba, whose studio wasn’t impacted by the layoffs this week, said his message was aimed at “any executive reading this,” including the Xbox leaders behind the latest wave of layoffs. It was a rare public display of criticism, but sources at Microsoft tell me it reflects a growing discontent and fear among Xbox employees about what comes next.

Microsoft’s latest round of layoffs shocked both employees and fans. Arkane Austin’s big Redfall update was on the way with a new offline mode, and the DLC was being worked on just hours before the studio was closed.
The shutdown of Tango Gameworks, the studio behind Hi-Fi Rush, has surprised people the most. The game was considered an Xbox hit, winning praise among critics and making its way to PS5 earlier this year. Even Microsoft was happy with Hi-Fi Rush.

“Hi-Fi Rush was a break out hit for us and our players in all key measurements and expectations,” said Aaron Greenberg, head of Xbox games marketing, just a year ago. “We couldn’t be happier with what the team at Tango Gameworks delivered with this surprise release.”

Greenberg and Xbox chief Phil Spencer both visited Tango Gameworks in September, playing games with the team and posing for group photos. Now, the studio is the latest victim of layoffs that have rocked the game industry over the past 18 months.

Three Bethesda studios — Arkane Austin, Tango Gameworks, and Alpha Dog Games — are being shuttered, and the team at Roundhouse Studios is moving into ZeniMax Online Studios. The studio closures come less than six months after Microsoft laid off 1,900 Activision Blizzard and Xbox employees and just months after Sony closed some of its own game studios and laid off around 900 employees. The depressing list of layoffs at game studios continues to grow on a weekly basis, with GTA 6 and BioShock publisher Take-Two laying off hundreds of employees last month and cutting projects.

Inside Xbox, there’s now uncertainty about what the future holds and questions over Microsoft’s gaming strategy. While Microsoft is looking toward a more PC-like future for its Xbox console, the company continues to battle a slowdown in Game Pass subscribers, lackluster Xbox console sales, and game launch delays.

A combination of these events led to four previously Xbox-exclusive games launching on the PS5 recently and some landing on the Nintendo Switch. I reported earlier this year that Microsoft had been considering bringing Gears of War to rival consoles, and we’re still waiting to see if a long-rumored Gears of War collection is ever confirmed. Either way, I’m still expecting to see more Xbox games arrive on PS5 and Switch, and it will be interesting to see if the Xbox game showcase in June includes any new announcements for rival hardware.
Microsoft has also had internal debates about whether to put new releases of Call of Duty into Game Pass. I understand this is a debate that has been ongoing internally for quite some time, with concerns from some that the revenue that Call of Duty typically generates for Activision Blizzard will be undermined by Game Pass.

I’m told that Microsoft has also considered increasing the price of Game Pass Ultimate again. These are only considerations, so a final decision could mean we still see a future Call of Duty release appear in most versions of Game Pass. The debate internally reflects the fact Microsoft’s Xbox strategy has shifted from just delivering its games exclusively into Game Pass to considering bringing more Xbox games to multiple platforms.

In yesterday’s memo from Matt Booty, head of Xbox Game Studios, there was a hint of a reprioritization for Bethesda teams that we may well see elsewhere with Xbox. “These changes are grounded in prioritizing high-impact titles and further investing in Bethesda’s portfolio of blockbuster games,” said Booty, before noting that Xbox is doubling down on Bethesda franchises that are “best positioned for success.”

Did Hi-Fi Rush really not meet that bar? Now, there will be inevitable questions about what other Xbox games aren’t “best positioned for success.”

Xbox now has a strong lineup of games planned for 2024, with Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II set to debut in a matter of weeks on May 21st. I understand Hellblade II is another game that Microsoft has been considering for the PS5. If that ever happens, at this point, it’s not clear if even that would be considered a success.

Xbox employees are now bracing for what’s next, as it seems unlikely that we’ve seen the last of Microsoft’s gaming layoffs and cutbacks. There are whispers among employees that core Xbox Game Studios are set for cutbacks next. Last month, Microsoft reported that Xbox hardware revenue was down by 31 percent year over year and an obvious admission that this was “driven by lower volume of consoles sold.” Last year, Microsoft reported a 30 percent drop in Xbox hardware revenue, blaming “increased console supply” from the prior year in 2022. Sony PS5 sales have also slowed, but not like Microsoft’s.
While Xbox hardware sales are a cause for concern, Microsoft has been beating the Xbox Game Pass drum in recent years, telling us, “The [Xbox] business isn’t how many consoles you sell.” But Microsoft’s latest earnings showed that Xbox content and services, which includes Game Pass, would have only been up a single percent without Activision Blizzard, and overall gaming revenue would have declined without this giant acquisition. Microsoft CFO Amy Hood is now expecting Xbox hardware revenues to decline again next quarter.

Microsoft’s gaming business isn’t growing without Activision Blizzard right now, and how that plays out throughout 2024 will be key for all Xbox studios. Microsoft has a busy fall ahead for Xbox, with Bethesda currently targeting September for its Starfield expansion Shattered Space, Activision planning the next Call of Duty for late October, and Avowed and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 likely to follow in November. To top that all off, Indiana Jones is currently planned for December.

If Microsoft’s game studios can deliver all of these games on time, then there will be plenty to play on Xbox this holiday, with a new Gears of War title expected to be announced during the Xbox summer showcase alongside some release dates for other anticipated Xbox games.

Microsoft will be banking on some new game announcements lifting the Doom around Xbox. But the company’s gaming strategy still looks unclear — and the challenges run deeper than a handful of holiday launches.
Source: The Verge

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom