Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Austin and Tango Gameworks shut down by Microsoft

PlayerEmers

Educated
i know its mostly unrelated to starfield but:

it feels like they want to give bethesda ths cod treatment: multiple studios working for a single franchise/company, doing support work on ongoing games or giving them the lead on projects

https://insider-gaming.com/next-fallout-game-come-faster/

imagine them reallocating resources from their publishing partners to bethesda projects

Late Bloomer

Scholar
A f***ing gut stab’: Arkane boss criticises Microsoft execs for studio closures
Arkane Lyon boss Dinga Bakaba has publicly criticised Microsoft executives for their decision to close several studios, including its Austin studio, calling the news “a fucking gut stab”.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...iticises-microsoft-execs-for-studio-closures/
Don’t throw us into gold fever gambits, don’t use us as strawmen for miscalculations/blind spots, don’t make our work environments darwinist jungles. You say we make you proud when we make a good game. Make us proud when times are tough. We know you can, we seen it before.
For now, great teams are sunsetting before our eyes again, and it’s a fucking gut stab. Lyon is safe, but please be tactful and discerning about all this, and respect affected folks’ voice and leave it room to be heard, it’s their story to tell, their feelings to express.

dinga-1024x512.jpg

tritosine2k

Erudite
....aaaand what's so good about giving id's IP to cpt. sweden? Machinegun games look like a dump.

911 Jumper

Educated
Microsoft's CEO [Nadella] wanted to shut the Xbox division down in 2014. If things don't work out I can see Microsoft pulling the plug on Xbox completely. Xbox is just another tech division to Microsoft.
If I am right, Xbox has a showcase in early June. It's gonna be interesting to see how they are going to present their future plans in a way that inspires confidence in the Xbox brand.
Already seeing people saying that they are done with Xbox, cancelling Game Pass, etc in response to these closures. That now deleted Sarah Bond tweet will have undoubtedly also done more damage.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Xbox is a dead console, Wogella doesn't care about games. And after buying Activision/King zenimax are surplus to requirements.

Wouldn't be surprised if the ESO studio outlives Bethesda.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Tango getting cut is brutal, didn't really expect it given how Hi-Fi Rush got universal praise and considering the studio wasn't even that large. I would have expected 343 to get the axe first, not fucking Tango.
Buying a bunch of studios only to then shut them down after one release is really just peak Microsoft.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Microsoft's CEO [Nadella] wanted to shut the Xbox division down in 2014. If things don't work out I can see Microsoft pulling the plug on Xbox completely. Xbox is just another tech division to Microsoft.
If I am right, Xbox has a showcase in early June. It's gonna be interesting to see how they are going to present their future plans in a way that inspires confidence in the Xbox brand.
Already seeing people saying that they are done with Xbox, cancelling Game Pass, etc in response to these closures. That now deleted Sarah Bond tweet will have undoubtedly also done more damage.

Phil's next genius plan to save his job is turning Xbox into a handheld/hybrid type of thing. I don't know. Maybe Nadella will eventually run out of patience with Xbox.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Well, it's over. The Evil Within 3 will never happen.
Even if it did happen, it would be shit. Mikami left last year and took some of the developers with him. Now he has a new studio, so I guess you should look forward to whatever he's working on. He must've sensed something like this would happen, which is probably why he left.

Mikami was real hands on only with EW1.

Tango getting cut is brutal, didn't really expect it given how Hi-Fi Rush got universal praise and considering the studio wasn't even that large. I would have expected 343 to get the axe first, not fucking Tango.
Buying a bunch of studios only to then shut them down after one release is really just peak Microsoft.

My hypothesis: Zenimax maybe not been doing well enough on hitting corporate metrics to justify the acquisition price. Wouldn't even be surprised if also because Starfield was a disappointment. Tango was unfortunately part of this corporate group, so when the message gets sent that Zenimax has to get shit in order, Tango doesn't really fit the picture. Even if Tango can do 3xROI on their projects, it isn't worth in terms of volume against potential Bethesda project that does 2xROI but 5x the volume for a company like MS. So basically purely a victim of being acquired as part of Zenimax.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Do we have a betting thread about which studio ends up in shallow grave first; Obsidian or InXile?

My hunch is InXile.
If all Obsidian had going on for them was Avowed and TOW 2 then that'd be a safe bet for me, but Grounded is the kind of sleeper hit that will keep them afloat. InExile has a bigger chance of making a cRPG (I doubt Obsidian will ever make another one) but they're probably one flop or mediocre release away from getting the hatchet. They don't have a Grounded that seems to be a continuous stream of revenue and engagement.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Didn't Hi-fi Rush greatly perform above expectations? So why dispose of them as well? Did they just not make enough money?
Not really? It was on Game pass so it wasn't going to sell that well on it's own merit. It's another one of those 'cool' titles like Jet Set Radio, The World ends with you that has a lot of really dedicated fans but not a lot of reach. It was praised, but the concept is really difficult for experienced players to get into let alone casuals so it was basically alienating most people trying it. Not the sort of game a big studio should be making and sure as fuck shouldn't be releasing it on game pass. Those sales really matter when you're an AA game and they didn't hit them.
I don't get why 343 didn't get axed. Maybe they're so small now they're worth keeping round as an infinite 'mod' scene? They're putting Infinite to rest soon with the introduction of Spartan coins. Ways to unlock older items in a rotating store and an easy way to set up looping weekly challenges. Only need some dude to grab forge maps and add them to play lists and you can put Infinite behind you now.

Would like to know what future Halo plans are. I'm guessing a free to play battle royale infinite was supposed to have is on the way. Probably using Infinites assets.

911 Jumper

Educated

Phil's next genius plan to save his job is turning Xbox into a handheld/hybrid type of thing. I don't know. Maybe Nadella will eventually run out of patience with Xbox.
I'm of the view that all this is all a form of managed decline hence why Spencer still has a job. I don't think Microsoft entered this generation with the intention of winning the console battle. Main goal was getting into a position where MS could acquire Activision Blizzard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom