Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Are World of Darkness vampires overpowered? Were they defeated too easily in V5 lore?

Harthwain

Magister
A mortal has only one lifetime to attempt to outsmart and out-organize the immortal. The immortal has had several, if not several dozen, lifetimes to plan ahead, organize and make sure that doesn't happen.
While I agree with the general idea of vampires being smarter and having more experience than humans, there is something to be said about the overall implausibility of detailed long-term plans. In a state of flux you have to constantly change and adopt. And we're talking about vampires competing against among themselves. Under such circumstances it's not like someone is having the upper hand here. Rather, they are keeping each other in check throughout history. Because otherwise the conflict within the vampire race would be long over by now, which certainly isn't the case. But it's useful fasade for the top vampires to keep, so I imagine they would help to sustain such impression in the general vampire populace as much as possible.

Jason Liang

Arcane

DeepOcean

Arcane
A mortal has only one lifetime to attempt to outsmart and out-organize the immortal. The immortal has had several, if not several dozen, lifetimes to plan ahead, organize and make sure that doesn't happen.
While I agree with the general idea of vampires being smarter and having more experience than humans, there is something to be said about the overall implausibility of detailed long-term plans. In a state of flux you have to constantly change and adopt. And we're talking about vampires competing against among themselves. Under such circumstances it's not like someone is having the upper hand here. Rather, they are keeping each other in check throughout history. Because otherwise the conflict within the vampire race would be long over by now, which certainly isn't the case. But it's useful fasade for the top vampires to keep, so I imagine they would help to sustain such impression in the general vampire populace as much as possible.
The problem isnt their plans failing, problem is Deus Ex Machina, you have a character that is depicted as a mastermind sort of character, out of sudden acting like a tard just to fit your story, that means you are a lazy writer, the story wouldnt proceed the way you wanted if you didnt bend it backwards to do it so, the hero would die if the gods didnt save him, those half assed tricks are transparent and break suspension of disbelief hard as you can easily see the hand of the writer covering his ass . Good stories have an internal logic and the writer cant destroy the logic he created under his convenience or you stop buying his crap.

If a 500 years old vampire is killed on a really well planned hit organized in such a way to deal with him on a way to neutralize his strengths is something nice to read, but just reading a guy acquiring a terminal case of retardation feels like reading half assed schlock. Unfortunately, making good stories is hard so you have convenient cases of terminal retardation everywhere.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The problem isnt their plans failing, problem is Deus Ex Machina, you have a character that is depicted as a mastermind sort of character, out of sudden acting like a tard just to fit your story, that means you are a lazy writer, the story wouldnt proceed the way you wanted if you didnt bend it backwards to do it so, the hero would die if the gods didnt save him, those half assed tricks are transparent and break suspension of disbelief hard as you can easily see the hand of the writer covering his ass . Good stories have an internal logic and the writer cant destroy the logic he created under his convenience or you stop buying his crap.

If a 500 years old vampire is killed on a really well planned hit organized in such a way to deal with him on a way to neutralize his strengths is something nice to read, but just reading a guy acquiring a terminal case of retardation feels like reading half assed schlock. Unfortunately, making good stories is hard so you have convenient cases of terminal retardation everywhere.
Agreed. I think it's very difficult to write genius level characters because writers themselves are rarely geniuses. So there ends up being a lot of smoke and mirrors (or deus ex machina-like occurrences) to try and give the semblance of genius to the reader. And of course, it's worse when the genius character is the purported antagonist who must be defeated.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
ecause otherwise the conflict within the vampire race would be long over by now, which certainly isn't the case.

Ah, but it is in the cannibalistic nature of the Jyhad that it is self-perpetuating. Lonely Elders desire childer, then they start to hunger for their blood as that of mortals no longer nourishes them. In turn, the childer fear the elders and desire their power. In time, the childer become Elders and lonely.

Wesp5

Arcane
If a 500 years old vampire is killed on a really well planned hit organized in such a way to deal with him on a way to neutralize his strengths is something nice to read...

Which is exactly what happened in Bloodlines. Cabbie and Jack knew all about the other vampires and orchestrated a situation in which they weakened each other by infighting until their powered-up pawn could off most of them and the last one would blew itself to bits!

vota DC

Augur
So who says LaCroix died?
Canonically Lacroix is ded in LA By Night. This lets Vannevar Thomas to come take over from San Francisco.
It's not a confirmation of his death, it's the same assumption of his death.
Lacroix doesn't have Methuselah levels of Obfuscate. High level Auspex would be able to locate him were he still out there.
But without his bodyguard he Is useless, why would someone even bother to track him? For the sake of laughing about him wasting both his bodyguard and his new super henchman (MC would rebel against him or die) for an explosive coffin?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
people complaining that some plot point or other in bloodlines don't adhere to the logic of some particular discipline ability in the vtm ruleset for the p&p game make my eyes explode from overexposure to dorkiness

only thing worse are those muh tadpole lore-guys in the bg3-thread

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
IMHO unkillable Vampires without any weaknesses are essentially mary sues of monster world, it sounds like fantasy of edgy necrophiliac teen made up in dreams during fervor. It's fucking boring and illogical.
Also my next judgement maybe wrong, but isn't guys who advocate for omnipotent and unkillable (like they gods or something, lol) vampires are shitting on wizards at any chance?
Shows pretty heavy bias here: bunch of blood sucking corpses having insane powers cuz they was bitten are cool and not illogical at all, but nerds in robes that spend entire lifetime to gain their powers - nah they bad and overpowered.
I think I can't express how much this logic is flawed.
Want undead moster with cool powers in your fiction? Fine, but all powers should have limit and monster shall have weaknesses, known to their natural rivals. Otherwise any piece of media that contains such monster would be boring as fuck and example of bad writing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
IMHO unkillable Vampires without any weaknesses are essentially mary sues of monster world, it sounds like fantasy of edgy necrophiliac teen made up in dreams during fervor. It's fucking boring and illogical.
Also my next judgement maybe wrong, but isn't guys who advocate for omnipotent and unkillable (like they gods or something, lol) vampires are shitting on wizards at any chance?
Shows pretty heavy bias here: bunch of blood sucking corpses having insane powers cuz they was bitten are cool and not illogical at all, but nerds in robes that spend entire lifetime to gain their powers - nah they bad and overpowered.
I think I can't express how much this logic is flawed.
Want undead moster with cool powers in your fiction? Fine, but all powers should have limit and monster shall have weaknesses, known to their natural rivals. Otherwise any piece of media that contains such monster would be boring as fuck and example of bad writing.
You sound like one of them Lich lovers.

Delterius

Arcane
Every other 'high level' monster being an omnipotent unkillable superman is the whole reason why the world of darkness settings collapse into themselves.

The problem with an overwhelming number of mortal special forces managing to destroy a tremere chantry isn't because vampires should be unkillable monsters, rather that the WoD writers were hacks and created the aforementioned issue in the first place.

Humans finding out about vampires was always supposed to be a problem for the latter. Its why there's a god damn masquerade. Dialing back the metusellahs as super saiyans bullshit is a requirement for any good version of Vampire, headcanon, homebrew or otherwise.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
the thing about vampires is that if humans find out where you live they can just set it on fire during the daytime and there's a really, really good chance you're fucked

Delterius

Arcane
Essentially, that's what ghouls and thralls are for.
D2HuaO-WwAAG_4R.jpg

imagine if this guy is everything that stands between you and about 4 dozen special forces of the united nation's red berets (kill all vampires general secretariat)

edit: fooken links

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dont have a problem with 500 years old vampires dying, I have a problem with they waking up one day with accute retarditis and the protags having more plot armor than an Abrams tank. That shit is retarded and is a cancer on genre fiction. Please, make the protag worthy of killing the antagonist than just pulling "LoL, he got retarditis."

It isnt a case of unkillable vampires vs retardation, you can actually write good stories, you know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom