Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ardenfall - an indie open world RPG inspired by Morrowind and New Vegas

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://ardenfall.com

During my regular dive into the very depths of Steam's upcoming catalogue filled with vaporware and zero-effort trash, I found this little gem.

This looks genuinely cool and it's what I've been waiting a decade for: an indie take on classic explorefag RPGs without all that "craft your own base" bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My only worry is that you need some serious manpower to pull off an open world RPG that's neither barren nor shallow as a puddle. Hope they manage to succeed in their ambitious endeavor. It sure looks interesting enough to keep an eye on the project. Definately adding to my wishlist.

The third person animations look like shit, and it seems that right in 2022 they still don't have diagonal movement animations.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
During my regular dive into the very depths of Steam's upcoming catalogue filled with vaporware and zero-effort trash, I found this little gem.

https://ardenfall.com/

This looks genuinely cool and it's what I've been waiting a decade for: an indie take on classic explorefag RPGs without all that "craft your own base" bullshit.

heh even looks like morrowind

looks very alpha and barebone tho, and i dont like the pixel aesthetic

Berengar

Learned
Hope they doing something about those bland, flat-color graphics. Also swear to fuck "Ardenfall" is the name of some random dime-a-thousand RPGmaker Steam game.

That aside I'm a lil interested.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I'm interested and don't mind the style. Let's see if they can pull this off. I don't have very high hopes that this will be finished and good, it's just a very hard project to make.

monilloman

Educated
2 pages and half the posts are comments on people's faces (gay) or graphics (even gayer). I somehow expected more

Personally, I think the game looks cool enough to pique my interest, focus on combat, factions and C&C seems better than most RPG these days but it looks and feels exactly like morrowind so far, hopefully devs realize it sooner rather than later.

wishbonetail

Learned
Tsk-tsk ... 2 pages and half were deleted for reasons.
Okay, mushrooms are from Morrowind and venus flytraps are from NV, some inspiration. Reminds me of some walkin sim someone made about Henry David Thoreau inspired by that location Walden Pond from Fallout 4. The paradox here is that something so obviously inspired by something comes out as trite, secondary and totally uninspired.

Skdursh

Savant
Wow, this thread had been seriously reduced. Did the other posts land in retardoland?
Stupid jannies. Maybe THEY should go to retardo land and lets us peaceful, kind and very intelligent folk chat, share and insult each other and the developers as GOD intended.

I don't want to say that I hate the art direction, but I hate this specific implementation of it. It would probably look better with some actual textures, even low detail ones. The low-count polygon with a single-color natural (lots of brown) palette look isn't very pleasant on the eyes and the ugliness of it will probably be especially noticeable in interior locations. I think in order to pull it off without textures they would need very detailed and high-quality shading and lighting, but from what I'm seeing they definitely don't; with a small team like that I doubt they will. The game would need an incredible story and very solid gameplay to overshadow the visuals, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Interesting, we haven't yet seen an indie developer pull off an open-world like Morrowind, and this gives me mixed feelings. They aren't subtle about how much they're influenced by Morrowind, not subtle at all. That's rarely a good sign. The team is also based in Seattle and its a side project for college students, neither of which give me confidence.
That said, I don't mind the untextured look, assuming they have good animations...which it doesn't look like they do. You'd be surprised at how a few games were actually better not having textured.

Codex Year of the Donut
me as a kid: "man I bet games in the future will look awesome!"
games in the future:
ss_2f230f6cbea82fd3f7236ae335528fedf8536b9d.1920x1080.jpg

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Patch 0.6.7: Demo Release!
The big official patch that brings us out of softlaunch!
Before we go into the patch notes, we just wanted to give a huge THANK YOU to everyone who tested our softlaunched demo! We got SO much amazing feedback, and tried to apply the most common feedback into the upcoming patch. It’s been a blast interacting with the community, and we very much looking forward to growing it further!

This patch will require new saves due to all of the changes to quests.

New Features:
  • Better Melee Animations
    : Now your weapon won't repeat the same swing animation over and over again
  • Input Remapping
    : You can now remap inputs to whatever keys you desire
  • Steam Achievements
    : We added a handful of steam achievements! Try to unlock them all :)
  • New Quests
    : Two new quests,
    Amphibious Ambassador
    and
    Frogs of War

Improvements:
  • Streamlined every quest
  • Added bounty system
  • Added “active quest” feature
  • Added spore weather
  • Replaced multiple equippable lockpicks with a single lockpick
  • Made pressing shift when sneaking make player exit sneaking
  • Added dialog speed+sound options
  • Added military time option
  • Improved Teleporting Kimashi AI
  • Improved stat bars in inventory screen
  • Made stolen items marked as such
  • Optimized character mesh generationImproved NPC companion following
  • Optimized world loading
  • Added stilted shoes

Major Fixes:
  • Fixed some items/containers not being marked as owned
  • Fixed camera rotating incorrectly when switching between viewmodes or swimming
  • Fixed npc’s not detecting when player steals items from containers
  • Fixed Niko head spawning multiple times

Fixes:
  • Fixed illegal text color on interactables
  • Fixed menu’s being openable when in pause or options menu
  • Fixed older sand elf player choice being karu elf race
  • Fixed npcs not looking at player when interacting with AI interactables
  • Fixed shop interactable using incorrect headlook mode
  • Fixed dialog text animation skipping
  • Fixed npc’s facial morphs being beyond boundaries sometimes
  • Fixed npc’s blinking, expressions, and lipsync not working
  • Fixed sleeping npc’s AI
  • Fixed tame yanaki attacking garkai enemies
  • Fixed enchanted armor turning pink on dead characters once ragdoll sleeps
  • Fixed npcs not casting ice-spike and related spells
  • Fixed loading dead niko body breaking animation
  • Fixed objective markers not clearing when phase or quest is ended
  • Fixed water splash sound not playing
  • Fixed clothing not hiding underneath armor sometimes
  • Fixed some hair not getting cut when wearing hats
  • Fixed throwing items and arrows having high enchantment costs
  • Fixed armor stat column in UI not being correct when not meeting stat requirement
  • Fixed world time not correctly updating

Balance:
  • Balanced humanoid npc combat
  • Increased damage on melee weapons
  • Balanced stamina
  • Balanced heavy armor
  • Balanced high level monsters being too powerful
  • Changed great axe charge attack to knockback
  • Made player leveling/combat power progress faster
  • Balanced magic mana usage
  • Balanced summoning magic
  • Lowered gold costs for spells and potions
  • Reduced strength of knockback enchantment

Thank you again to all the testers, and I hope you enjoy this official demo version! We put a TON of work into this patch, and hope you enjoy the changes. If you have any feedback, we'd love to hear it! The best place to give it is our discord here!

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Also, Ardenfall... Vvardenfell... inspired by Morrowind.
Very original.
Not only that, but check this out:

N3lYJgn.jpg

I'm not aware of that fictional title being loaned out or licensed elsewhere. What's going on here?

Meet The Developers​

Spellcast Studios began as three students “in their garage” in 2017 and eventually growing into a team of 10+ members , all working in our free time to make Ardenfall a reality. Spellcast Studios values passion, collaboration, and learning – taking on new challenges and overcoming them is what we strive for!

https://ardenfall.com/spellcast

s7DlcxG.jpg

:prosper:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom