Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Archmage Rises - the play-how-you-want mage simulator - now available on Early Access

Jarmaro

Liturgist
The problem is that while the tower is much needed and a critical part of the promised game, but there's still not enough content around it.

If anything, it might just turn the EA version into a grind where you farm goblin dungeons/resources/gambling to support the construction of the tower. There needs to be more enemies, equipment, and just more stuff to interact with. I personally wouldn't go back to playing it just for the tower.

I agree with the vast majority of the steam reviews that there just isn't enough meat on the bones. If the game launched at the current price with maybe 10 hours of content (for a procgen game, not that hard), then it would be much more favorable.
The main problem is the developer's lunatic obsession with procedural generation of content. He's hell bent on making quests, lore and the world generated, barely allowing for at least the starting quest to have any plotline. Maybe he will be persuaded later on in developement to add hard content in the game like storylines or life aspirations with specific quests, but as it is he trusts in generation. Which is kind of soulless and dull.

Basically, so far the game doesn't have anything from the 'world generation' part. You get a bit of a world to walk around and a single type of dungeon. That's it. In the future there are supposed to be kingdoms, guilds, relligions, bandits and justice systems, more dungeon types, biomes, family making...A lot of stuff. If that will translate into an emergent gameplay is yet to be seen.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
In the future there are supposed to be kingdoms, guilds, relligions, bandits and justice systems, more dungeon types, biomes, family making...A lot of stuff. If that will translate into an emergent gameplay is yet to be seen.

That sure is a lot of core features to be missing for being in development for as long as it has

Mortmal

Arcane
Really, you should try tale of immortal

I know this was to Tyranicon, but how is the translation?
So far, very few texts have not been translated. I only found two occurrences of non-translated content: when a disciple asked which path to choose, and later when opening the ghost manual given to you by Jo the swordsman. Game is especially addictive and no problem with it, the mixed reviews are due to some review bombing cause of some trouble with mod support and their policies, also banning disgruntled users on forums. Game itself is pristine if you dont care about the controversy.
I have to add that its still getting updates to the translation among everything else. I bought the game a couple months ago and translation has improved immensely since. Gone from what felt like a step up from MTL to an enjoyable read, especially when it comes to quests later on.
You have any idea how to bypass the bamboo forest trial ? its hellish and cant possibly any more hp ont his character.

Lhynn

Arcane

So far, very few texts have not been translated. I only found two occurrences of non-translated content: when a disciple asked which path to choose, and later when opening the ghost manual given to you by Jo the swordsman. Game is especially addictive and no problem with it, the mixed reviews are due to some review bombing cause of some trouble with mod support and their policies, also banning disgruntled users on forums. Game itself is pristine if you dont care about the controversy.
I have to add that its still getting updates to the translation among everything else. I bought the game a couple months ago and translation has improved immensely since. Gone from what felt like a step up from MTL to an enjoyable read, especially when it comes to quests later on.
You have any idea how to bypass the bamboo forest trial ? its hellish and cant possibly any more hp ont his character.
Cant say I remember having done that quest. Unless you mean defending the turtle?

Mortmal

Arcane

Cant say I remember having done that quest. Unless you mean defending the turtle?
No its much later than this its for rank 9 breakthrough. You cant possibly miss that quest as its mandatory, then its the long phoenix battle. That part of the game was added like one year ago only. Finally manage it but it's a pain in the ass.

Lhynn

Arcane

No its much later than this its for rank 9 breakthrough. You cant possibly miss that quest as its mandatory, then its the long phoenix battle. That part of the game was added like one year ago only. Finally manage it but it's a pain in the ass.
Oh, im on the fifth realm. Havent been playing much as of late, no time.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Build 0.1.6 is Live!

NEW:
  • Steam Cloud Saves! Hurray!
  • New Female Portrait set

IMPROVED:
  • Temporarily disabled the break chance on harvesting tools (hatchet & pickaxe) due to many reports they are breaking way too easily until they can be better balanced.
  • Adjusted how NPCs answer when asked where another NPC is. Now they will tell you where they will be instead of where they currently are so that they are a little bit easier to find. This is a first step into a better solution overall.
  • Expanded the number of NPCs that can enter a building, and added a scroll wheel to see all of the NPCs when inside a building (this should also help with finding NPCs)

FIXED:
  • Fixed some of the NPC schedules so that every NPC will show up in a public facing building at least once per day.
  • Fixed bug with relationship bar not changing colors on some relationship levels
  • Fixed a bug with some instances of ambushing a monster results in being ambushed and vice-versa
  • Fixed a bug with levers in dungeons not spawning/working correctly, resulting in dungeon doors that cannot be opened
  • Fixed a bug that prevented keys from being used to unlock the associated door in a dungeon
  • Fixed the way that fallbacks on custom NPC portraits are handled if a custom NPC portrait is missing

KNOWN ISSUES:

• There is a known issue in this patch where NPCs will say that they require [???] resources or enemies killed in their dialogue. This does not affect the ability to complete the quest, and the correct numbers will show up in the quest log. It is due to an upgrade on our quest tools and we're working on a fix for this.

Apart from fixing the issue mentioned above, this will likely be our last patch update prior to the release of the Mage Tower.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
This week's plan in Archmage Rises (Jul 31 '23)
When we say we are making this game, this is what we mean:

Mage Tower - Coming Aug 10 2023
  • We announced a date and we're working hard towards it. There are systems to finish and art to finalize. So far so good. We'll post another update with a screenshot end of the week.
  • It's all hands on deck for Mage Tower: Jonathan, Mark, Jessi, Rubi, Tyler, Josh, Michel, Zach, Nolan, James, and Phil.
Purpose and Winning
The next release after Mage Tower is an update on the goals and purpose of the game. Mark and I have concluded the design work, just awaiting programmers which we'll get shortly after Aug 10. There is going to be a new stat which summarizes a life: Legacy.

Narrative
When Nolan isn't helping on Mage Tower (right now he's naming mounts and towers), he's working on the first major story quest which leads a player from the start to the Purpose features we have coming. It also ties in the tower. If we do it right, it should be great!

Combat Rewrite
  • When not working on the audio for Tower, James is working in our design tools creating spells.
  • Michel is continuing on the combat rewrite and finishing it up. It'll be a few more weeks as he is also helping on getting the patch out today and some mage tower inventory work.
New Quest Tech
Our current quests are sort of simplistic because the tech is. I've been working for several weeks on improving our tools and tech and finally have it in a releasable state.

Previously quests could only have 1 variable, used for either tracking kills by race or resources gathered. It was always placeholder just to get something working.

The new system has unlimited quest variables, almost like a scripting engine (but not quite). These can be used for tracking kills, resources, but more importantly choices made through the branching narrative. Now when we present a choice of speaking to A over B, we can ensure this happens and drive experience from it.

When it comes to kill quests, we can specify a particular kind of enemy (goblin vexxer) not just the race (goblin). This prepares the way for named enemies NPCs need hunted down.

All of the work to date has been in the system and migrating existing quests over, so there is nothing new to play yet. But it paves the way for new play experiences.

In the migration we discovered a major problem which delayed the patch: quest progress in save files. We don't have versioning in our quests so a save file with progress in V1 of a quest doesn't map to V2. There is no limit to how the quest could have changed. We're working on solutions to this but it was a real "uh oh" moment.

Patch
As stated, we tried to get the patch out last week Friday, but ran into this quest issue. This patch addresses several key issues including "Can't find a quest NPC". We're working on it right now and should be out any minute.

Future Patches
We are not planning any more weekly patches until Mage Tower comes out Aug 10. If we really messed something up today then we'll hotfix it, but it's all hands on deck for the Update.

Business
As posted last week, https://steamcommunity.com/app/506480/allnews/, we've changed the price (for now) to $10. The data pointed this was the right move and so we made it.

Lastly, I'll be travelling this week to GenCon in Indianapolis. Several years ago my oldest daughter asked "Dad, when can I go to GenCon?"
"Uh.... when you are 10."
Well, she went ahead and had two birthdays, and now I have to make good on it. So I'm out rest of the week making good on my gaming convention promise to my little girl. Perhaps some of you will be there too!

Appreciate all the help and thoughts you've provided as we journey together in making this game

Jarmaro

Liturgist
There have been two minor hotfixes, 0.1.6a and 0.1.6b, not really worth of separate posts. Much more important is the update on the Tower. Funny that the dev says the combar rewrite has been going for '4 months.' If you check the history of the updates, the game had several combat rewrites. This is just the last in a line of many. But this time done by the experienced developers from other games, so I guess this one might be the final one?

On another note, the developer seems to have been convinced by the fans endless whining to add some story goals, or at least life goals. Sandbox without any goal simply won't do (at least unless someone wants to check it out while starting the game, which I believe might be an option).

Mage Tower coming Aug 10, Delaying Some Other Features Like Enchanting
Our roadmap states Update #2 includes the following features:
https://www.archmagerises.com/roadmap

Update 2: The Mage Tower
  1. Build, enhance, and live in your Mage Tower
  2. Improved Spell Research System
  3. Experimentation System
  4. Enchant Items
The Primary feature of the update is the return (well, the rewrite) of the Mage Tower. As posted in our weekly Plan, 11 people are vigorously working on it. Internal word is it is going well. We’ll be able to ship 10 different rooms.

There will be people that don't read this post so will update the roadmap to reflect the delayed features.

Research, Experimentation, Enchanting
The bad news is we are delayed on the three adjacent systems. Why?

Because the Combat Rewrite has been dragging on for 4 months, taking between 1-4 programmers, most of the time 2. And we cannot change, add to, improve, or balance these features until the combat rewrite is playable.

We were debating internally what to do, so I asked the community which was more important: Delay the Mage Tower Update until all 4 promised features could be completed OR ship the mage tower now and the other features later. The answers we got in 24hrs said “ship mage tower!” so that is what we will do.

The Commitment
Just after Mage Tower releases, combat rewrite should be wrapping up for internal review.

There are a number of features in various states of completion queuing up to release:
  • Combat Rewrite
  • Quest System Upgrades (quest chaining)
  • NPCs Part II
  • Purpose & Goals
  • Story Quest
  • How spells are Researched and Purchased
  • Experimentation System
  • Enchanting System
  • Mage Tower Decorating
Knowing when, where, and how to apply resources is the toughest part of my job. Something not covered in my hours of gameplay in Game Dev Story, Game Dev Tycoon, or Mad Games Tycoon.
:laughing_yeti:

If we can complete one a week, that’s 9 weeks of significant feature increases. We’ll figure out a plan to move forward after Mage Tower based on the state of combat, dependencies, and available resources.

Thanks for your patience and understanding as we navigate the difficulties of game dev!

Jarmaro

Liturgist
"Tyler had a weird [bug] where suddenly the player couldn't build anymore. It was really serious but we couldn't reproduce. Turned out the tester simply ran out of gold.
:steamfacepalm:
, and everything is working just fine.
"
Lmao.
This week's plan in Archmage Rises (Aug 8 '23)
When we say we are making this game, this is what we mean:

Mage Tower - Coming Aug 10 2023
  • Last week and final push on Mage Tower this week. Most everyone is working on it.
  • Jonathan and Tyler are fixing bugs on it. Tyler had a weird one where suddenly the player couldn't build anymore. It was really serious but we couldn't reproduce. Turned out the tester simply ran out of gold.
    , and everything is working just fine.
  • Zach and Josh are working on the display slots and other last minute room additions.
  • Jessi is cranking out the last UI bits.
  • James is hooking up UI sounds and already composed music.
  • Rubi is painting rooms, rooms, and more rooms. New rooms are not limited by art but by feature and balance.
  • Mark is tested and tuning as we drive towards release on Thursday. One example is lowering the cost of meals.
Purpose and Winning
Nolan is working on a narrative journey with the new Legacy and Rival features to come. He should be done first draft this week. Currently the quest tooling is insufficient to implement it, so we need to get programmers on this but we don't have any available.

Combat Rewrite
Michel helped out with quest bug fixes and mage tower last week. He is now back and continuing the combat rewrite. It'll be a few more weeks, he doesn't know when yet as he just resumed working on it.

New Quest Tech
We put our our new quest tech last week and did a bad job on it. The fault is mine as I was the main programmer on it and told the team it was ready when there were many edge cases I hadn't considered. We hotfixed it a few times and I believe now it is working correctly.

It was a bumpy road, but it had to get out before Mage Tower so it goes out well.

We're going to move to a versioning system for our quests so we don't break everything like this again. Sorry.

Personal
I had a great time at GenCon with my eldest daughter Claire. We bought lots of dice and played several new board games. Then she saw a guinea pig card game and just had to have it.
:winter2019happyyul:

I'm travelling with the family and out until Aug 21.
Phil is out next week too.
Mark is running the show!
James will be monitoring the forums and responding to immediate issues, especially those related to Mage Tower.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
More Details on Mage Tower (with Screenshots)
Hey!

We are only a few more days away from launching the Mage Tower, and here are more details and screenshots of how it works!

Mage Tower Overview

• The land for Mage Towers (yes, plural) can be purchased from town mayors. If you have a great relationship with the mayor, you might be able to strike a deal with them...
  • Building is done by Room. You pay gold to add empty rooms to the tower. This automatically increases the size of your structure.
  • Adding rooms wide and up requires a Foundation score for stability. Foundation is increased by building on the ground floor (or underground).
  • Once empty rooms are built, you can choose what function that room will serve in your tower. Each type of room provides different perks and abilities
  • Some basic room functions will be available right away, while others will require blueprints in order to build
  • Blueprints can be purchased from various merchants. This is where the cost is. Once you have the blueprint, you can make as many of these rooms in your tower as you desire.
  • Most rooms also have Display Slots. These allow you to decorate and personalize your rooms by showcasing various treasures you've collected in your journeys: art pieces, trophies, skulls, books, wine bottles, etc. In the future, these will give you certain benefits, like increasing your Prestige score.
  • We're including a frequently requested room: Portals. You can teleport to other towers that also contain a portal room.

67b2c228f3622c46d99bf9d75471ac982ac5550f.png

View of a Mage Tower

7160b73b37fccb015e4cbbec998543733dcebe76.jpg

Building a Mage Tower

2fffcdcb1f4874131e17e76187f8730c54caf304.jpg

You can add floors on the ground level or underground to increase your tower's Foundation score

b29cda42835316f297e8b8c04bc1fda3c399fe1f.jpg

Once a room is built, you can choose the function of that room. Some room types require additional blueprints

d24868cec1ac2198b8e3ba272538892acb1b4b2e.png

Blueprints can be purchased at various merchants

6d8b18a47a4b49f6c982e1d5be22c3626c990e23.png

Many rooms give you access to special actions you can only perform in your tower

This is what is coming Aug 10th.

Still to come in the near future:

• Decorate and personalize the exterior of the tower.
  • Multi-block rooms. Basically the ability to build a bedroom beside a bedroom and it's one big bedroom OR upgrade a room to a larger size. We have the tech but haven't decided on the best approach yet.
  • More trophies available in world, like skulls from named elite monsters or commissioned art pieces.
  • Additional room types

Let us know what you think!

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Update #2: The Mage Tower Now Released!

Hello fellow adventurers!

Our 2nd major content update is now available. We know many of you have been waiting for the Mage Tower, so we're very excited for today's release! Please see note below about previous game worlds and save files.

NEW:
  • You can now buy land to build a mage tower from any town mayor
  • Blueprints are now available to be purchased from the town mayor and conclave chapterhead
  • Mage Towers can be built room-by-room using the new Mage Tower build mode
  • Each room in your Mage Tower can serve a variety of functions, based on 12 different room types (listed below) and provides some extra storage to your tower.
  • Bedroom- gives the option to Sleep and Treat Injuries (provided there is a Healer located in the town next to your tower).
  • Study- allows you to “Study a Book” similar to a Conclave Chapter (studying is now only available in your tower and no longer an option at a chapterhouse)
  • Blast Chamber- allows you to increase your Magic XP (or blow your leg off, or some other unintended consequence) through experimentation
  • Library- allows you to increase your Magic XP at a slower, but safer pace through Research
  • Dining Room- gives you the option to Dine In at your tower based on available dining options at the Inn next to your tower
  • Storage Room- adds extra storage capacity of your tower
  • Games Room- provides entertainment options (similar to the inn), each of which will add a temporary buff
  • Gallery- a place to display your collected Art
  • Wine Cellar- a room to display your wine collection
  • Stables- a place to house and pet your mounts
  • Portal Chamber- allows you to teleport to any of your other towers that also contain a portal
  • Music Room- allows you to listen to and change the music for your tower
  • You can now research specific magic types in a Conclave Chapterhouse or in your tower's library
  • Rideable Mounts!
    Now you can hire and ride a variety of mounts from an animal trader that will provide a variety of travel and skill bonuses, including faster travel times. These mounts include Palfrey, Longclaw, Rumbleback, Yarok, Ironwart, and as promised on our Early Access release livestream... the epic Cavalcavara (giant Guinea Pig)!
  • New sounds and artwork for mounts
  • Injuries have returned, though only through Blast Chamber experimentation currently. Injuries can be chained into worse injuries if left untreated
  • Healers can now heal injuries
  • Building multiple towers with portal rooms allow you to gain access to healers and dining options in any town next to another one of your towers with a portal (like magical Uber Eats!), providing you have the appropriate rooms in your tower

IMPROVED:

• Changed Goblin Vexer's Force Pulse to Physical Damage for clarity
  • Fade to black and summary info when animal training
  • Disabled snowmoss quest
  • Adjusted the cost of food to be more reasonable (though signature dishes are still more expensive)
  • Animal Training process has been improved

FIXED:
  • Fixed error when asking an NPC's opinion of another NPC in a different town
  • Fixed Arcane Insight not having duration set properly when cast in the overworld
  • Fixed job bar tooltip not showing properly
  • Fixed a bug that can cause issues loading a save from inside a dungeon
  • Fixed a bug causing the shop window to not start from the top of the items list when buying/selling items or using services
  • Fixed quest log and dialogue text issues with the mayor's starter quest
  • Fixed missing quest log for one of the weaponsmith's skill quests
  • Fixed a few typos

World and Save Game Incompatibility
To make all the new stuff above, we had to significantly change things that breaks current worlds (and therefore saves). Sorry, there was no way to migrate data across. We try very hard to maintain file compatibility within minor versions but will likely change it significantly across major versions.

Thanks so much for being on this adventure with us! We really hope you enjoy this update!

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Update #2 is live, but there's already a patch 0.2.1 fixing some issues.
Build 0.2.1 is Live!

Turns out there was a very specific bug that was breaking save files so that they couldn't be loaded. It was a bit obscure and not in our regular test cases so it slipped through our net, but this patch fixes that issue.

NOTE: Just a reminder that unfortunately with the new features that got added in with the Mage Tower update, older save games are no longer compatible.

We also fixed up a few other issues in this patch...

FIXED:
  • Fixed a bug with buff inspiration that was causing save games not to load properly
  • Fixed a bug with creature inventory IDs not getting updated properly, which could cause other issues (including game loading errors)
  • Fixed a bug where portal sound fx were not triggering properly
  • Fixed a bug where attempting to eat in your tower's dining room while full still passed time
  • Fixed a bug preventing players from selling antidotes (and potentially other unreported items)

NEW:
  • Added in a check for incompatible save files with the option to remove them

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • Resources from gather quests are still not removed from inventory when completing quests
  • When buying land from the mayor to build a tower, if you fast travel to the tower and then immediately travel back to the mayor to buy blueprints, the dialogue window appears blank. Save & Quit and reloading currently restores the dialogue window.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
This Week (14th-18th) for Archmage Rises
Several members of the team are out for much-needed vacation time, including Thomas and Phil. So, you’re stuck with me for a week! I’ll be doing my best to monitor everything and pass issues along to the team.

Our goal is to squash as many bugs as we can for our Thursday patch and implement quality of life adjustments where we can.

Some of the major known bugs we are tackling:
  • New saved games post-patch failing to load
  • Getting stuck in doorless dungeons
  • Elusive street NPCs
  • Stolen Ara in combat
  • Mayor screen being blank after tower interactions
  • Several quests need clarity in the log/NPC explanation
  • Quests not removing resources/showing blank requirements
  • Empty battles
Alongside this weeks patch we continue to make progress on combat, quests, and new features. We'll share more on those when they're ready!

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
The problem is that while the tower is much needed and a critical part of the promised game, but there's still not enough content around it.

If anything, it might just turn the EA version into a grind where you farm goblin dungeons/resources/gambling to support the construction of the tower. There needs to be more enemies, equipment, and just more stuff to interact with. I personally wouldn't go back to playing it just for the tower.

I agree with the vast majority of the steam reviews that there just isn't enough meat on the bones. If the game launched at the current price with maybe 10 hours of content (for a procgen game, not that hard), then it would be much more favorable.
The main problem is the developer's lunatic obsession with procedural generation of content. He's hell bent on making quests, lore and the world generated, barely allowing for at least the starting quest to have any plotline. Maybe he will be persuaded later on in developement to add hard content in the game like storylines or life aspirations with specific quests, but as it is he trusts in generation. Which is kind of soulless and dull.

Basically, so far the game doesn't have anything from the 'world generation' part. You get a bit of a world to walk around and a single type of dungeon. That's it. In the future there are supposed to be kingdoms, guilds, relligions, bandits and justice systems, more dungeon types, biomes, family making...A lot of stuff. If that will translate into an emergent gameplay is yet to be seen.
This dev just doesn't seem to have the skillset as someone like Tarn Adams does to actually program such features as a wholly procgened world that doesn't feel like crap. Disappointing honestly.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Build 0.2.2 is Live!
After the tower launch, we’ve had some team members getting much-needed R&R since we hit Early Access. So, it’s been a little quieter over here this week. However, we did get some reported issues fixed.

Fixed:
  • Fixed an issue where brand new games were failing to load.
  • Fixed the Town Center UI not loading properly after a tower purchase.
  • Fixed several issues surrounding the mount UI and them ending up on the ground.
  • Tower scroll/dragging doesn’t happen in other menus now.
  • Corrected book tooltips to point you at the tower and not the Chapterhouse.
  • Several quests will take your goods again to complete.
  • Library research has a descriptive time value now.
  • Fixed up several issues in combat that contribute to empty fights or bodies being counted as enemies. This one keeps resurrecting on us, hopefully we have a majority of the cases fixed.
  • Fixed reports of getting stuck in a doorless dungeon.
  • Fixed a few separate issues where Ara was being incorrectly taken/calculated in battle.
  • Fixed some quest clarity on a dye quest.
  • Uncovered a larger issue with dye during world generation that we fixed. This fix works on current game worlds.
  • Copper Crown quest can be refused.
  • Adjusted NPC timelines so that they appear in buildings more often. Have some underlying changes still needed so that you can visit them.

Known Issues:
  • The dye discovery today may mean other resources are invalid, we’ll be looking into it. There is additional clarity we'll be fixing on resource directions.
  • NPC’s still occupy work locations that aren’t the typical player shops. We’re working on a solution to keep various workers in their places of business but still be visitable and not just on “streets” all day.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Archmage Rises is touched upon by Splattercat's touch of gold, I expect a lot of new attention coming towards AR. Should have been done when the game develops a bit more, combat rewrite itself would be a good reason to showcase the game. It will help the developer a lot nonetheless.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If nothing else, development seems to be proceeding apace. My main worry is that they'll run out of money given that they have a large team for what seems to originally be a solodev type deal.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
New week, fresh news.

Alterations to the game's vision:
Big thing is the main dev's post on changing the vision behind the game. For years he's been obsessed with creating a relatively short playthroughs of ~20 hours where the entire game would center around playing one life, then finish and start another. More in line with FTL or rougelikes. This isn't the vision players wanted or thought they are getting, and gameplay behaviour and reviews reflected that. Everyone wants to start a game, spent a lot of time playing one characte,r set deep roots and enjoy their time. So the developer has finally bent under the expectations and changed his plans. New idea is to make playthroughs last ~40 hours, giving the player time to get attached and enjoy their time, doing whatever they want from building a trade empire to becoming the greatest mage.
Personally, I consider it a major :incline:.

Game Director Note: Changes in Game Design and Save File Progress Protection
I want to share a broad directional change that has been brewing for a long while. It is based on some steam posts I've been reading. I shared it with the team internally and now I want to share it with you.

What IS Archmage Rises?
Every person here buys into a vision of this game. Not necessarily my vision, but their version of the vision. I don't think I've been actually making what people are expecting.

When I started making this game it had a fixed map, with fixed cities, and I was just randomizing the names and buildings within each.

The game was based on Pirates!, FTL, and Rogue games like Dungeonmans or ADOM.
Short plays of a life from 4-6 hrs.
Plays fast.
Then start a new world and try again.
Like Slay the Spire.
"Rinse & Repeat"

Yet the features we've been adding don't conform to this at all:

Spending 15 mins role playing making a char and getting attached to NPCs.
Spending time customizing NPC names, and portraits.
Building a tower and decorating and personalizing it
Having and naming different mounts in your stable.

Later:
-Working your way up a faction
-Building a trading empire
-Chasing a series of connected artifacts
-Building multiple towers
-Founding businesses and towns
-Romance and long lasting relationships

I first got hints of this a year ago when people said "I like everything about this game, but the 4-8hr playtime on the steam page is so short. I'm out.". I changed the steam page but I didn't change my thinking.

Now I'm seeing what they were trying to tell me.
They don't want a rinse & repeat experience.
They want to dig in, settle in, get comfortable, and grow deep roots.

That's Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Origins 100+hr play, not FTL or Slay the Spire 1-3hr play.

What I think people really want, what I think they are buying into, is "Dragon Age, but in a custom personalized fresh world just for me" not the same world as everyone else playing.

In Civ 6 I play a nation for 20ish hours and when i'm done, i'm really done with it.
Until I roll up another world and another nation for a long involved passage through history.

Case in Point: Player Progression
We had a guy who was pre-playing the game in anticipation for the mage tower update. He was establishing himself in world, saving up gold, ready to get into his new tower.
And we invalidate his save and made him start again.
:crying_yeti:

This person has every reason and right to leave a negative review. We failed him.

We disappointed him not just because of technical difficulty, but because of a difference in thinking.

I have been thinking rinse & repeat for years, but not many players who have put their hard earned money behind this project.

I don't know how long we have been divergent, maybe it has been since Nextfest.

From now on we preserve player progress across updates
I've given the team this new directive:
We need to think each game is 40+hrs of play.
Something precious to be preserved.

My recent minecraft experience crystalizes how I see this working.
I played in my world for 3+ years, building all kinds of awesome (awesome to me and my kids anyway)
Then they release some "deep" update where you can go past Y 0. Some 128 + 64 new levels of fun.
So I fire up minecraft to see how deep I can go and it's still bedrock at 0, no further.
I don't get the new features on the old save file
But I abandon my old file on my terms, when I want to, not because devs pushed an update.
I choose when I get the new features.

The game is under active construction. We're making drastic changes to the data structures almost daily.

Solution 1: Version Migrator
We designed a save files to allow for versioning and migration. Something that works for small localized changes. We do write these migrators (occasionally) and you wouldn't notice them running because they silently occur in the background when loading a game. We'll put more effort into these going forward.

But what if something really can't just be migrated, what if we did a big data overhaul?

Solution 2: Character Export/Import
We will be making a Character Progress exporter (in game) which can read your key variables (gold, renown, mage tower, equipment, xp, spells, skills) and stick that character into another world.

This may end up being a feature
:surprised_yeti:
Take a character from one world, drop em into another!

With the Legacy update we will be showing your previous dead characters and their legacy score. Why not show your active living ones above it?

Solution 2 isn't perfect. Character specific things like name, skills, inventory, and main tower can be preserved. But anything attached to the world, like NPCs, towns, dungeons half explored, all quest progress, will be gone.

I hope this makes sense and brings convergence between what I'm making and what you are expecting.

Answers to Questions:
Q: Are you promising I will never lose progress during Early Access?
A: No! I'm too experienced to make that naïve promise. I'm sure at some point, maybe more than once, it just won't be possible. What I am promising is much more effort and robust tech put into testing and preserving player progress. Dropping it from forced restarts 50x before 1.0 to maybe 5x.

Q: Wait, this is a rogue-like, isn't it? Are you dropping the permadeath or other rogue like features?
A: No, it is still a rogue-like, just not a mean one.
:laughing_yeti:
By player request we have added in ad-hoc saving, no longer deleting save files, and after much discussion I came around on the generational play. The big broad message I kept missing was: "I want to play a long time in one world and enjoy the simulator!" I'm finally waking up to what people actually want.

Q: Will you be dropping features to preserve this backwards compatibility?
A: No. The features coming are the features that are coming.

Q: I have more than 1 mage tower, will all of them come across with Character Export?
A: I don't see how more than 1 mage tower could be brought across because we could place that tower next to the starter town in the new world. But the others will be spread across the world and there is no algorithmic way to stick em into the new world. Instead, we could refund the cost of the ones that don't make it.

Q: What about <insert complex scenario here>?
A: I don't know. I just decided this with the team today. I don't have answers to every situation. I just have a new direction we are heading in: Preserve Player Progress.

This week's update on what's being worked on and what are the short-term plans.
Highlights:
- To close the gameplay loop the devs are working on Legacy score, which is supposed to count all of the actions in a given life. The vision behind the game has previously been to provide a ~20h long playthroughs, not just play as the same character all the time.
- Combat rewrite has been "3 weeks away for about 2 months", now they believe they are ready to playtest it internally within two weeks. Progress. This might be the part that will make or break the game.
- The world is being made deeper, providing more quests, quest types and overall be more dynamic

This week's plan in Archmage Rises (Aug 21 '23)
I'm back from vacation. Last week went well with Mark & James running the show.
Here is what we are doing this week:

Inaccessible NPCs for Quests
I'm embarrassed and apologize we are still having this issue. It will be fixed in Thursday's patch.
We just had a 1hr discussion about it and found out the miscommunications at the intersection of designer data, programming, and quest writing.

New solution:
1) No longer will quests choose ANY npc but only ones with vendor buildings accessible during the day. (Programming)
2) No longer will NPC timelines send people to inaccessible places like streets, fields. While realistic, it's dumb. (Design data)
3) Quest NPCs will be prioritized in the list of visitors in a building so they appear at the top (programming)
4) Adding the ability to visit people at their home. (programming)

Thanks for those posting about it and bringing attention to it.

Legacy - The Purpose of the Game
The player can run around a map, complete quests, make friends, kill monsters, get loot, build a tower, and earn gold. To what end?

We are now focused on the purpose of the game, which we call Legacy.

Legacy is a score (Sorta like the civ score in civilization) cumulatively showing how successful a life is. It can be used to compare against other lives, rivals, and historically significant mages. We will provide more details on how this score is calculated later. The feature is coming in Sep and I will post a date soon as I know it is certain.

This Legacy feature is pulling forward some of the feature ideas later in the roadmap but I feel it is important to "close the game loop" and we think it will be compelling. Don't know until we build it and you try it!

Mark is leading design, Josh and Zach are programming, Jessi on UI, and Nolan is working on narrative to tie it all together.

Combat Rewrite
Today Michel estimated 2 weeks remain before we can test better faster funner combat internally. It's been 3 weeks away for about 2 months, so this is a step forward.
:steammocking:

James is working with Michel on combat design.
Tyler is off this week, but when he returns will work on the UI and effects.
Speaking of VFX, Rubi is working on new fire spell VFX for the new combat.

New combat will be releasing shortly after Legacy update.

Deeper World
I'm working with Nolan on revising and expanding our world building, some of which is driven by discussions on these forums, like this example:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/506480/discussions/0/3841053719666280080/
Thanks lightningstrike2010, Dhuran, Jester_hell_696, Kaylo7!

We're also working on artifacts, items of great power left behind by great historical mages.
And then we're going to start working on truly dynamic simulator driven quests.

I won't be satisfied with the game until there is a simulator driven murder mystery quest where the player has to collect clues and name and charge an NPC, nothing scripted!

Additional
  • D2 is working on bug fixes, specifically the inaccessible NPC one.
  • Phil is focused on community management. Lotsa interest generated from Splattercat's latest video about the game. Thanks Splattercat, you rock and we like you lots!
  • People are clamoring for a Wiki so Phil is going to assist.
  • Phil will make a video about how to play the mage tower, something we didn't have time for before vacation.
  • It will take me a few days to catch up on the forums, but rest assured I will read everything posted.
Thanks for supporting this project. It's gonna be sooooooooooooooo good when it's done!

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Build 0.2.3 is Live!

We focused on the 3 most acute issues this week. We have a partial solve for the NPCs with more coming.

Fixed:
  • Fixed inaccessible Quest NPCs going forward, but it doesn't solve it for existing save files.
    NPCs no longer have any routines that would put them in the street. They will still be at home in the evenings or occasionally for a lunch meal, see the below known issue.
  • Sped up Combat a bit - while we await the combat rewrite we went back and hacked out as much time as possible. Cut 1.8 seconds out of turn changes and 3 seconds out of enemy abilities to feel snappier.
  • Fixed two root problems with combat freezing up, we will continue to monitor combat reports.
  • Fixed an issue where NPCs were stated to be at building X and weren't there.
  • Fixed a bug where NPC's miscalculated hex distances by A LOT.
    [*Also made a design change to state hex distance using miles instead of time for added clarity. 1 hex = 1 mile.
  • Adjusted some enemy vocalizations to be quieter.
  • Added additional clarity to the final part of the dye quest.
  • Axe weapons no longer state they can chop wood. We'll roll that function back in once we've revised the weapons/tools/harvesting systems.
  • New Wiki is up and we've linked it on the title screen.

Known Issues:
  • We're looking at how we can get invalid/stuck/missing quest NPCs accessible for you. We plugged the dam, it shouldn't happen
    anymore
    . Now we have to fix existing saves. With a hotfix.
  • Internally we've added back the home location. Town locations touch a lot of things so we need some time to test, expect this next week.
  • NPCs can still be inaccurate regarding lairs or other minor information that we are looking into.

We can't be more grateful to Splattercat for the increased traffic this week! It means the world to us and we are grateful to everyone submitting bugs: this week saw an influx of reports and we're working on prioritizing and patching as much as we can while also pushing forward new content updates.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Development Priorities this Week (Aug 28 '23)
I'm in Florida right now, about to go through my first hurricane. In the meantime, this is what we're working on:

Inaccessible NPCs for Quests
I'm sorry this is dragging on so long. We put out a patch last week to stop it from happening (frequently) in new worlds, but required more time to fix existing worlds.
Friday we were doing final testing on the hotfix, and discovered more rot, so delayed the hotfix.
Today everything was looking good, doing final testing, and discovered more rot. This is all Josh & James are doing right now until it is resolved. I may be pulling in more resources tomorrow depending on what I hear in stand up.

D2 added the ability to visit people at their home. Waiting on testing to verify this is working. This is expected to come in Thursday's patch this week.

Other Priority Bugs
  • Missing Quest NPCs is our top priority (detailed above).
  • Levers in Dungeons - something is wrong with the algorithm, it is placing levers to open doors on the wrong side of the door.
  • Weird body of water issues - roads in water, water where there should be land. We're looking into it.
  • Eastpaladin reports a problem with dungeons on his GPU. This goes beyond one person not able to play the game. I want to ensure the game runs on all hardware (within reason) so we will continue to troubleshoot this.
Legacy - The Purpose of the Game
Legacy is continuing with Zach, Jessi, and Nolan, but is delayed because of the attention on missing NPCs above.

Combat Rewrite
Faster, better, funner combat + more spells is coming.
If you've been following the drama on this one, each week Michel estimates 2 weeks left to complete it. He just provided a 2 week estimate again today, but this time it is because Tyler is back from vacation and saw all the wonderful work Michel laid out for him to do and promptly said, "I can't do all that in a week!". So we were down to 1 week left for about a hot 3 minutes, and then back up to 2 weeks remaining.

This is 2 weeks left of programming, THEN we need to test, tune, and design it for a few weeks at least.

Then we are going to rework the weapons & armor for it, so the Spear isn't the only good option.
:shockedstar2022:

Rubi is working on some great looking VFX for the new spells. Yes there are new spells coming! Too early to list them all, will share more data when it is more certain.

New combat will be releasing after Legacy update.

Finally, I managed to catch up on reading every single forum post last week.

Thanks for supporting this project. It's hard to make, but worth the battle!

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Patch 0.2.5 is Live!

We are back with another patch! This one is lighter due to the hotfix earlier this week. We have several big issues being actively worked on for next week.

New:
  • Visit NPCs at Home
    To address not finding Quest NPCs, added in the ability to visit an NPC at home. You may only visit the homes of NPCs you know about. Later we will add robbing and kidnapping people in the dead of night, but for now, be nice and friendly and introduce yourself.
  • Added several new console commands to abandon quests
    - To ease potential future problems, you can use console commands to abandon a quest. You can reacquire them without penalty.
    • The console can be opened with the backtick/tilda ` key.
    • Get a list of active quest titles with this command:
      Quests.ListCurrentQuests
    • Abandon a quest by name:
      Quests.RemoveActiveQuestByName
9cf68e25c800b21e26507e73af458e619459aa99.jpg

Fixed:
  • Mehsyga reported Tower portals from one game carrying over to another. Fixed.
  • eastpaladin reported two hard to see UI elements, increased contrast
  • Rahl requested to see the inventory slots for an animal before purchase. Added this AND doubled the number of slots per animal (in new animals, not existing ones)
  • joiss90 reported Stinky debuff is not removed via Dispel spell cast outside of combat. The fix is rather involved, so for now we dropped the effect from 50% to 10%

Known Issues:
  • If you know a very large number of people in a town, the houses menu can cut off. We have some UI elements to work out but figured it is better than not putting in the feature today.
  • Bodies of water and roads still overlap. We are actively fixing this and expect it to be solved next patch.
  • Dungeon lever generation picking the wrong side of doors. This is also a top priority we have been looking into.
  • Several quests still need some cleanup on clarity or poor directions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom