Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Archaelund: RPG that combines 1st-person exploration with 3rd-person TB combat - now available on Early Access

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
So when will the game be finished?

No fixed date. When it's ready. Less than 23 years, at any rate.

22 years is fine if you release it with a manual.

Now more seriously, I'll tidy up our roadmap into a presentable format and it will be published before release. It will not be based on hard dates, because my priority will always be to do things my way, but it'll include a list of milestone versions, what will they include, and an estimation of months to release each of those versions. The sum of everything, roughly, is between 30 and 40 months. This can of course improve if EA grants me more resources to pour into development (but in the end, I'll always do all the coding, writing and game design myself, so it's never going to be cut in half).

Work has been absolutely crazy these last three months, and I suspect it'll get even better after release.

agris

Arcane
Patron
i love the "disapproving codexer" male pose

1704475607866.png

d1p

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NEWS
POSTED
Sat, January 6
Getting ready: Party creation, playable races
In these few days before Early Access release I'll share some key game elements. Let's begin with party creation

Before the adventure begins you need to do two things: create a party and choose a difficulty.

Creating an adventuring party
A standard party is
formed by 4 adventurers
. You are allowed to make a smaller party, but be warned... you'll get beaten. Badly. Later on, up to two companions can join your party. It doesn't matter if you have a smaller base party; you can never have more than 2 companions joining you.

135bebedd59a67837336a2fa66c790572179a919.png

The proccess of
creating a character is straightforward
. I don't like the games where you are forced to make a lot of uninformed decisions at the beginning, but of course this is still an RPG with a lot of depth, and some choices must be made. The good news is most of the choices will come later on, as you level up. And in character creation you can know how everything works by just hovering over stats.

If you're in a hurry to get into the game you might just
create a random party
with one click, which will automatically create a reasonably balanced party of four with at least one decent fighter, one decent healer and one spellcaster (other roles may vary). By "reasonably balanced" I mean exactly that: it can face the dangers ahead, but as you learn the ropes of the game you might probably do much better.

A good thing about random parties is they can be edited. You can go through the characters one by one and adjust some details, or completely redesign the characters.

First choice: race
In this version of EA, you can choose among five races to create your characters. (Two more races will be added in future versions, and it's also planned to add separate human cultures). The race selection screen displays all the information you need to make a choice.

17060e560f25657d9c494a6e826b6790b447b6c5.png

I'll post here the game information about the non-human races, so you can get a little familiar with them.

Varannari
d706279df3667e4a24c123d6a87c2cd4e16a7b7f.png
937348606452044b2f9ef67e6ff5f6a6f6399573.png

Tall and athletic natives from the primeval forests of Varannar are easily recognizable by their green skin and strong, long limbs. Varannari are brave, likeable and loyal, but prideful and temperamental.

In Archaelund:
some Varannari were brought to Archaelund by the Mercians as slaves, but escaped into the forests to form nomadic clans and live once more according to their ancient ways. Most of them, however, are part of human society and have come as colonists or adventurers.
  • Trait bonuses:
    +1 Strength, +1 Endurance
  • Trait penalties:
    -1 Intellect, -1 Self-Control
  • Special abilities:
    Varannari gain a +15 bonus to the Survival and Athletic skills.

Goblin
303f5c6669e489b5a7f8c2c9c508d69dd5d1b72e.png
4018adb08e803b59804c1f323f4bf290e56ef569.png

In the civilized Exiled Kingdoms, goblins are considered monsters due to their renowned wickedness, and attacked on sight. The Archaelund Marches, however, can’t afford any available force to go to waste, and some goblins a tad less psychotic than their brethren can make a career as scouts and archers. Some of them become jesters for one of the Lords of the Marches, although their awful jokes are often more painful than their dented blades.

In Archaelund:
Goblins are a common sight in the largest cities, where they live assimilated into human society. But many others are dangerous outlaws, sometimes led by shamans of their dark religion.
  • Trait bonuses:
    +1 Dexterity, +1 Awareness
  • Trait penalties:
    -1 Strength, -1 Self-Control
  • Special abilities:
    +1 Movement Point. They have innate resistance to fire (+25%) but are vulnerable to cold and shock damage (-25%)

Minotaur
38c863177c2ffc4f97ebddf4ec0c897f1825877e.png
2f4836083e1b426872f4d4734b3561c98674bd5b.png

In ancient times a wise and prosper people, nowadays turned into bloodthirsty monsters, roaming ancient mazes built by their ancestors while oblivious to their meaning. A few of them, however, are intelligent enough to become civilized (under a very generous use of the term) and make a living through their fighting abilities. Minotaurs are large, incredibly strong and aggressive, but often simple-minded and fearful of sorcery or the undead.

In Archaelund:
Minotaurs are rare, and sometimes frowned upon. They are often front-line fighters in adventuring parties, or lead bandit groups. However there are exceptions and a small number of Minotaurs insist upon unveiling their ancient past and recover the wisdom of their ancestors.
  • Trait bonuses:
    +2 Strength, +1 Endurance
  • Trait penalties:
    -1 Dexterity, -1 Personality, -1 Intellect, -1 Self-Control
  • Special abilities:
    Minotaurs need two rations per rest. They don't have a 'Feet' slot, and can't wear boots or shoes. They are also unable to wear most helms.

Batrax
c8344359724f9ec1c890e00575013b95ad5e8221.png
0810036a7b277cab32400af096d92d47f48abd6b.png

Batrax are small amphibious humanoids, nimble and dexterous, intelligent and innately adept in the magical arts. Unpredictable in the extreme, they can be equally violent or sociable when met in the wildlands.

In Archaelund:
wild Batrax are feared in the coastlands, where they often ambush their victims with sharp harpoons and deadly magic. Some of them, however, claim human ancestry and wish to live among humans and learn their ways, citing a fabulous tale about a human adventurer who spent a night of passion with a Batrax princess. Unlikely as this tale may be, their abilities as scouts or sorcerers are undisputed and has earned them a place in Archaelund.
  • Trait bonuses:
    +1 Dexterity, +1 Personality, +1 Intellect
  • Trait penalties:
    -1 Strength, -2 Endurance
  • Special abilities:
    Batrax can hold their breath longer than other races. Vulnerable to fire (-50% to resistance). Batrax don't have a 'feet' slot and can't wear boots or shoes.

About game difficulties
After your party is created, and before you can begin your adventure, you must select a difficulty for the game. This can't be changed later. Once again, hovering over each difficulty will give you all the details, but it might be hard for you to determine how relevant are the listed changes.

My advice would be to go with
New School
difficulty, unless you truly enjoy challenges. As in many RPGs, the game becomes easier as you learn the ropes. For people with experience in old RPGs,
Old School
might be more enjoyable. It will force you to be more careful. The other two available difficulties (Explorer and Cruel) are for people that want a more gentle or an extremely ungentle experience. Iron Man mode is not available yet.

That's all for this write-up, in the next one I'll explain some aspects of the rest of character creation aspects (careers, skills, magic)
w=500

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NEWS
POSTED
Sat, January 6
Getting ready: Party creation, playable races
In these few days before Early Access release I'll share some key game elements. Let's begin with party creation

Before the adventure begins you need to do two things: create a party and choose a difficulty.

Creating an adventuring party
A standard party is
formed by 4 adventurers
. You are allowed to make a smaller party, but be warned... you'll get beaten. Badly. Later on, up to two companions can join your party. It doesn't matter if you have a smaller base party; you can never have more than 2 companions joining you.

135bebedd59a67837336a2fa66c790572179a919.png

The proccess of
creating a character is straightforward
. I don't like the games where you are forced to make a lot of uninformed decisions at the beginning, but of course this is still an RPG with a lot of depth, and some choices must be made. The good news is most of the choices will come later on, as you level up. And in character creation you can know how everything works by just hovering over stats.

If you're in a hurry to get into the game you might just
create a random party
with one click, which will automatically create a reasonably balanced party of four with at least one decent fighter, one decent healer and one spellcaster (other roles may vary). By "reasonably balanced" I mean exactly that: it can face the dangers ahead, but as you learn the ropes of the game you might probably do much better.

A good thing about random parties is they can be edited. You can go through the characters one by one and adjust some details, or completely redesign the characters.

In this version of EA, you can choose among five races to create your characters. (Two more races will be added in future versions, and it's also planned to add separate human cultures). The race selection screen displays all the information you need to make a choice.

I'll post here the game information about the non-human races, so you can get a little familiar with them.

Varannari
d706279df3667e4a24c123d6a87c2cd4e16a7b7f.png
937348606452044b2f9ef67e6ff5f6a6f6399573.png

Tall and athletic natives from the primeval forests of Varannar are easily recognizable by their green skin and strong, long limbs. Varannari are brave, likeable and loyal, but prideful and temperamental.

In Archaelund:
some Varannari were brought to Archaelund by the Mercians as slaves, but escaped into the forests to form nomadic clans and live once more according to their ancient ways. Most of them, however, are part of human society and have come as colonists or adventurers.
  • Trait bonuses:
    +1 Strength, +1 Endurance
  • Trait penalties:
    -1 Intellect, -1 Self-Control
  • Special abilities:
    Varannari gain a +15 bonus to the Survival and Athletic skills.

Goblin
303f5c6669e489b5a7f8c2c9c508d69dd5d1b72e.png
4018adb08e803b59804c1f323f4bf290e56ef569.png

In the civilized Exiled Kingdoms, goblins are considered monsters due to their renowned wickedness, and attacked on sight. The Archaelund Marches, however, can’t afford any available force to go to waste, and some goblins a tad less psychotic than their brethren can make a career as scouts and archers. Some of them become jesters for one of the Lords of the Marches, although their awful jokes are often more painful than their dented blades.

In Archaelund:
Goblins are a common sight in the largest cities, where they live assimilated into human society. But many others are dangerous outlaws, sometimes led by shamans of their dark religion.
  • Trait bonuses:
    +1 Dexterity, +1 Awareness
  • Trait penalties:
    -1 Strength, -1 Self-Control
  • Special abilities:
    +1 Movement Point. They have innate resistance to fire (+25%) but are vulnerable to cold and shock damage (-25%)

Minotaur
38c863177c2ffc4f97ebddf4ec0c897f1825877e.png
2f4836083e1b426872f4d4734b3561c98674bd5b.png

In ancient times a wise and prosper people, nowadays turned into bloodthirsty monsters, roaming ancient mazes built by their ancestors while oblivious to their meaning. A few of them, however, are intelligent enough to become civilized (under a very generous use of the term) and make a living through their fighting abilities. Minotaurs are large, incredibly strong and aggressive, but often simple-minded and fearful of sorcery or the undead.

In Archaelund:
Minotaurs are rare, and sometimes frowned upon. They are often front-line fighters in adventuring parties, or lead bandit groups. However there are exceptions and a small number of Minotaurs insist upon unveiling their ancient past and recover the wisdom of their ancestors.
  • Trait bonuses:
    +2 Strength, +1 Endurance
  • Trait penalties:
    -1 Dexterity, -1 Personality, -1 Intellect, -1 Self-Control
  • Special abilities:
    Minotaurs need two rations per rest. They don't have a 'Feet' slot, and can't wear boots or shoes. They are also unable to wear most helms.

Batrax
c8344359724f9ec1c890e00575013b95ad5e8221.png
0810036a7b277cab32400af096d92d47f48abd6b.png

Batrax are small amphibious humanoids, nimble and dexterous, intelligent and innately adept in the magical arts. Unpredictable in the extreme, they can be equally violent or sociable when met in the wildlands.

In Archaelund:
wild Batrax are feared in the coastlands, where they often ambush their victims with sharp harpoons and deadly magic. Some of them, however, claim human ancestry and wish to live among humans and learn their ways, citing a fabulous tale about a human adventurer who spent a night of passion with a Batrax princess. Unlikely as this tale may be, their abilities as scouts or sorcerers are undisputed and has earned them a place in Archaelund.
  • Trait bonuses:
    +1 Dexterity, +1 Personality, +1 Intellect
  • Trait penalties:
    -1 Strength, -2 Endurance
  • Special abilities:
    Batrax can hold their breath longer than other races. Vulnerable to fire (-50% to resistance). Batrax don't have a 'feet' slot and can't wear boots or shoes.

About game difficulties
After your party is created, and before you can begin your adventure, you must select a difficulty for the game. This can't be changed later. Once again, hovering over each difficulty will give you all the details, but it might be hard for you to determine how relevant are the listed changes.

My advice would be to go with
New School
difficulty, unless you truly enjoy challenges. As in many RPGs, the game becomes easier as you learn the ropes. For people with experience in old RPGs,
Old School
might be more enjoyable. It will force you to be more careful. The other two available difficulties (Explorer and Cruel) are for people that want a more gentle or an extremely ungentle experience. Iron Man mode is not available yet.

That's all for this write-up, in the next one I'll explain some aspects of the rest of character creation aspects (careers, skills, magic)
w=500
Can't wait.

Deimos

Novice
Very excited for this. Exiled Kingdom came out right when my kid was born and I thought my gaming days were over. It being on the phone saved me. I didn't expect it to be nearly as epic as it was. Also kind of got me into crpgs. Games were starting to feel like a waste of time until I realized I've been playing the wrong games. A definite day one purchase from me as well

Serus

Arcane
Patron

w=500

Where are the dwarves?

giphy.gif
It is a gnomish trick! Wait, no there are no gnomes either. "Batrax" look very suspicious though.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Getting Ready II: Careers, Traits, Talents.
In yesterday's post I laid the groundwork for how a party is created and provided an overview of the playable races. Today, we'll delve a bit deeper into the character system.

Careers

The most determining choice when making a character is selecting a career. There are currently 15 "basic" careers in the game (more to come) that can be chosen at level 1.

Click on the thumbnails to expand

Let's go over some of the stats listed in the careers, below the box with the picture and description.

Career skills: these are the skills you can improve by spending Skill Points.

Magic disciplines: spellcasting careers will list here the disciplines they have access to, and can improve with Discipline Points. You can think of them as "spell lists" or "schools". Some disciplines are exclusive of one career, others can be found in multiple careers.

On All Levels: automatic benefits gained by a character on each level-up. This includes an increase on combat proficiencies (from +1% to +5% in weapon ones, and 0% to 2% in Critical and Dodge). Also how many skill points can be distributed, and how many Health Points (HP) are gained.

On Specific Levels: a different talent will be gained at specific levels, and in some cases an open talent may be chosen (more on talents below). Also some stats like Discipline Points and Armor Training have different gains at different levels.

Switching Careers: On level up, characters can switch to a different basic career assuming they meet the requirements, and have already completed three levels of the previous one. Any benefits you gained in the old career will remain: disciplines and spells, skills, talents, etc. But it is important to take into account that once you abandon a career, you can never gain new levels in it. If you move from Pikeman to Initiate, for instance, Athletics will no longer be one of your career skills.

Advanced careers will be added to the game in future updates, and will need to become unlocked with in-game actions, or will have very high requirements.

Traits

The seven traits represent the fundamental innate capabilities of a character, with a value of 4 being the human average. Traits will seldom see permanent increases throughout the game.

I'll not list all the traits and their corresponding bonuses here to keep this article concise. You'll find this information within the game, and a comprehensive manual/wiki will soon be available. As you distribute trait points, you can monitor the top-right corner of the screen to see the impact on your character's stats. And you can hover your mouse over any such stats for more detailed explanations.

Generally, following your intuition when assigning traits should steer you in the right direction. Aspiring to create a towering Varannari Barbarian who masters the two-handed axe? Prioritize Strength and Endurance. Or perhaps a nimble burglar proficient with a bow? Dexterity and Awareness are your go-to traits. There aren't many pitfalls in trait assignment, it's prudent to invest in the traits that your character will rely on the most.

Talents

Talents are special abilities that characters gain on level-up. Characters always gain a talent when they gain a new level; if for some reason they had already gained that talent before, the character will be able to select an Open Talent instead.

When browsing careers, it is a good idea to hover your mouse over talents and have a look at their descriptions. Some offer straightforward, passive bonuses. Others will grant special combat actions. But of course you don't need to "study" all the talents available, since most careers don't get to choose an Open Talent until level 3. By then you'll be far more familiar with game mechanics, and ready to make a meaningful choice.

When a talent is listed as "Expert Talent" instead of "Open", it means that the only way to gain that talent is by reaching that career level. Some expert talents are present in more than one career, while others are exclusive.

What else?

Skills are a simple aspect of the game and I decided not to make the post even longer by explaining them. And if your character is a spellcaster, you'll also need to choose one discipline (typically among three), and two spells (among four or five).

Well, I think that's enough to give you an idea about the character system. I am not sure I'll have the time to make another such complex post in the 27 hours left until the Early Access release, and certainly I won't have the time in the days after release, so for now you'll have to find the rest of the information in the game itself and the forums. Maybe tomorrow I'll make a brief heads up post before release, just to thank everyone for riding along.

See you tomorrow!

David

Johnny Biggums

Learned
Now more seriously, I'll tidy up our roadmap into a presentable format and it will be published before release.

Roadmap:

Development Roadmap
We present you the list of what is included in each planned "major" version of the Early Access. Please understand that this plan is subject to change, both in the listed features and estimated dates.

Version 0.8
Estimated: April 2024

For the first months after EA release, the focus will be on improving existing game areas and consolidating gameplay, rather than adding new content.

Visual Improvements & Immersion
Improved battle grid: less intrusive and better adapted to rough terrain.
Enhanced NPC animations and behavior, including talking animations and expressions.
More complex NPC AI behavior in real time, with daily schedules, interactions, and activities.
Revised and better synced sound effects.
Content
Two new minor dungeons added to the Peninsula, targeting levels 3-4.
Additional quests.
One new Companion.
Possible additional resolutions for existing quests.
Features
Quality of life: UI for browsing all spells, races, and talents (similar to the current Career browser).
Quality of life: selling stacks.
Improved combat AI, especially for spellcasters and specific talent use.
Gameplay Implementation
Skills revision: Several skills are unimplemented; others, like Meditation, need revision.
Crafting stage 1: Alchemy implementation.
Additional spells: Implementation of some spells that are currently listed but inactive.
Other
Improved game performance and loading times.

Version 0.9
Estimated: December 2024

A big one that will likely get released through several minor updates. The focus is on content expansion and character advancement into mid-levels.

Content
Chapter 2 of the main quest.
Two new vast areas! Game world size triples compared to 0.8. Includes two new towns and various dungeons (ruins, caves, fortresses, lairs).
At least 20 new quests.
New companions.
Visual Improvements & Immersion
Unique customization of armors and clothing to fit the game's setting.
Replacement of some spell and talent icons with custom-made ones (replacing stock assets).
Gameplay Implementation
Level cap increase to 6 or 7.
New basic and advanced careers and talents.
Crafting stage 2 (details to follow).
Addition of Rank III spells and new disciplines.
Other
Localization.
Controller support.
UI redesign and upgrade.

Version 0.10
Estimated: Q3/Q4 2025

This version will be detailed further after the release of the previous version. It focuses again on content expansion and advancing character system into mid-high levels. The goal is to implement all but the "end-game" content.

Content
Chapters 3 & 4 of the main quest (final chapter pending).
3-5 new areas, including at least 2 more towns and various unique locations.
Dozens of new quests.
New and unusual companions.
Gameplay Implementation
Level cap increase to 11+.
Full implementation of advanced careers.
Crafting stage 3 (details to follow).
Addition of Rank IV and V spells.

Version 1.0
Estimated Q2 2026

This version marks the game's completion, with the final chapter of the main quest and additional high-end content. Details will be provided at a future date. Post-release, the intention is to continue enhancing the game with more content, expanded mechanics, and other improvements.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1082970/discussions/0/4042609512663285604/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Soon:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1082970/view/3907500209569581883

Early Access arrives!
In a few hours, thousands of adventurers will reach the shores of Archaelund

No long textwall about gameplay today, because it's time for the game to speak for itself: Early Access release is scheduled for 18h GMT+1 (Noon EST).

So yes, this is a "random ramblings" post.

I'm both thrilled and humbled by the game's reception so far. Over 21,000 wishlists - that's a significant number, especially for an independent developer who has invested zero dollars in marketing. The level of anticipation has exceeded my expectations.

I'm eager for you to experience the beginning of this adventure. Remember that much more is to come soon. Please, don't hesitate to share your thoughts in the Steam discussions or on our official forums. I will read and consider every opinion given during Early Access, although I will of course follow my own vision for the game.

A special shoutout to the players and community of my first game, Exiled Kingdoms - your support has been incredible. And yes, one day I'll return to 2D isometric development to delve into more adventures.

I wish you a journey through Archaelund that, while certainly not safe, will be thrilling and enjoyable!

Johnny Biggums

Learned
Core difficulty doesn't hold your hand even in the tutorial area. I screwed myself in the first dungeon (too many injuries, no supplies, couldn't defeat worms) and had to reload an earlier save to resuscitate the captain rather than rob him and leave him to die.

Anomander

Educated
Version 0.9
Estimated: December 2024
Ok, 0.9 in a year so full version will be not long after that.
And then
Version 0.10
Estimated: Q3/Q4 2025
Haha
Sorry I lost all hope about this game, when you can't even compare numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom