Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Archaelund coming to Early Access on December 21st

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: 4 Dimension Games; Archaelund

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1082970/view/3716091513329238772

I'm pleased to announce that in two months from today (by december 21st if all goes according to plan) we will press the magic button and release the Early Access version of Archaelund on the Steam Store.

This first release will feature the initial chapter of the Archaelund's main quest, plus a large region to explore freely with plenty of side-quests, dialogues, challenges and secrets. By our estimates, this means 12-15 hours of content.

We look forward to add more of the beautiful areas we've been working on, and let you explore all the secrets of Archaelund, but we believe it is better to limit the initial content until the areas have been properly tested and given the detail they deserve. Of course, once you purchase the Early Access version, you will get all the future updates of the game at no extra cost.

The Early Access already includes a good measure of Archaelund's rule system. There are five playable races, fifteen careers, fourteen skills, over 60 Talents (unique abilities), and over 50 spells. All of this to cover just the early levels of character development.

I'm immensely excited to share Archaelund with the players, and we count on you to make this game better. Don't hesitate to ask any questions in the Steam Discussions, or at our forums.

For more infomation, you can read our Early Access FAQ.

Thank you!

David
4 Dimension Games​

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
I'm not a fan at all of the trend to release RPGs, of all genres, into early access. Makes me almost always just wait for the 1.0 release instead.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Best of luck! But the market is getting more and more saturated.

I guess 2023 is the year where every RPGdev and their mom is going to release a game.

Sure why not, I'll join too.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I'm not a fan at all of the trend to release RPGs, of all genres, into early access. Makes me almost always just wait for the 1.0 release instead.
I find it especially contentious with RPGs. I don't want to play a half-assed version of the first part of the game, then have it ruined for me when I get to the full release.

Drowed

Arcane
I look at an Early Access game the same way I look at a Kickstarter: a proposal for something that may or may not succeed.

The idea of playing an incomplete game also doesn't make sense to me, so if I buy it, I know that I will only end up playing it months after the release, after most of the critical patches have already been released. So, if I believe enough in the proposal or the development team, I would pay as an incentive. But without any intention to spoil the game for myself. Nowadays, I rarely play a game more than once, so if I'm going to play, I want to play the most stable and complete version of it. Archaelund seems promising, though. It reminded me of Realms of Arkania, but obviously, I hope the final result is better than the remake released years ago.

mondblut

Arcane

Wait for 1.0 release? Lmao, a sucker is born every minute. Make it "platinum goty edition with final patch and all dlcs". Till then, they're ALL early access.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Not bad, I prefer this over "Embark on an epic quest to defeat the dark conjurers and save your world from destruction that became a legend".

2027 will be nice.

Moink

Cipher
Pushed back to the 8th of January to avoid the Steam Christmas sale.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1082970/discussions/0/3874843400195516612/

Updated on Oct 23rd: following Valve advice, we moved the release date past the end of the Winter Sale.

I'm pleased to announce that in two months (by January 8th if all goes according to plan) we will press the magic button and release the Early Access version of Archaelund on the Steam Store.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The game just checks all my boxes. It's a very coherent mix of what I expect from an RPG.
Compared with games going too far into one direction here the visuals are colorful but not shiny.
I'm going to create my party. The character system looks PnP-like and its presentation fits.
Exploration is in first person and the focus on the game is on exploration.
Combat is low-key, trading blows with spiders, low numbers, in turn-based mode on a grid, managing wounds, the kind meant to be played around a table.
It does feel like a The Dark Eye game, somehow down-to-earth in the context (it's fantasy), no glitter. Just feels good.
People have different interpretations of translating PnP into computers or don't care if a game does, I care and this is my ideal interpretation.
The other games all check some of these boxes, none simultaneously checks all of these.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Good luck to David, and I hope the game turns out great. I'll hold off since I'm not a huge EA fan but I'll look forward to a 1.0.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron could you update the title?

They were advised by Steam to postpone the EA by a few weeks to avoid drowning in the Winter Sale bonanza.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Judging by the screenshots on Steam, the game looks like many similar projects that have appeared in recent years.

What makes Codex so optimistic?
The developer is a Codexer (DavidBVal)

Ah, "our guy" thing.

Judging by the screenshots on Steam, the game looks like many similar projects that have appeared in recent years.
This has first person exploration with top down combat. That's the difference.

Ok, that's new.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
BTW. I will only pay shekels for this game if I don't have to use steam to play it.
I'd buy it on Steam if it's great, but I'd still get the "keep the files" "archival quality" version AS WELL.

Best of both worlds.

I like the art style very much. Somewhat modern looking but colour is used tastefully and looks quite realistic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom