Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum is, by far, one of the worst *games* I've ever played... emphasis on "game" and not "RPG"

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Don't compare Arcanum with Fallout (unless you want Arcanum to look extra bad).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
My build consists of a melee fighter inclined to tech. Arcanum , now that I think about it, reminds me a lot of Requiem in Skyrim: you are useless at everything you don't invest points in, but especially so considering the game is dice based.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
you are useless at everything you don't invest points in
:lol:

Why I can't build chair with 0% in carpentry or pick lock with 1% in skill? Such strange game.

Also:
Backstab+Stun = Awesome
Grenade spam is good (and completely broken)
And so on and so on.

BTW, I always significantly increase quality of Arcanum's combat when turn floats to verbose. Damage numbers have soothing effect on me.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
It's not a parallel at all. Again, the problems with Arcanum combat are more fundamental than number tweaking.

The combat in FO was a lot worse than in Arcanum. The only reason people enoyed it were the special death animations. It had zero depth and all boiled down to getting high weapon skill and AP. Tactics? When? Where? What for? Just shoot eye or use 2 AP shots all day long.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's not a parallel at all. Again, the problems with Arcanum combat are more fundamental than number tweaking.

The combat in FO was a lot worse than in Arcanum. The only reason people enoyed it were the special death animations. It had zero depth and all boiled down to getting high weapon skill and AP. Tactics? When? Where? What for? Just shoot eye or use 2 AP shots all day long.
You seem like a total cretin, using the same arguments that have already been dismissed. The problem of combat in Fallout is purely balance. Tweaking numbers.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arcanum was overall a wasted opportunity in my opinion. Good writing and world coupled with many poorly executed ideas.

I still enjoy playing Arcanum on occasion now, but I always feel it could have been so much more than it was.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I just finished Vendigroth wastes. Mage with knowledge of explosives. Elven armor fell apart for lucky molten arachnid's fireball, so I disassembled automatons using arcane great sword and grenades while being in negligee.

Sykar

Arcane

You seem like a total cretin, using the same arguments that have already been dismissed. The problem of combat in Fallout is purely balance. Tweaking numbers.

Dismissed on what grounds? FO combat is as basic as it gets. Shoot and move, nothing else to do apart from ocassionally popping a stimpack.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Because it unbalanced. Holy fucking shit. You moron. All the systems are there, it has more mechanical depth than Underrail for instance.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dismissed on what grounds? FO combat is as basic as it gets. Shoot and move, nothing else to do apart from ocassionally popping a stimpack.
I used explosives, flamethrowers, rocket launchers and even, sometimes, flares. Used called shots for legs to break distance from pursuers. It's not JA2, but FO combat was pretty neat.
There is no difference between "spam Harm" and "always shoot in the eyes" crowd. BTW, even with 7 PE 110% small arms shooting for eyes are done from very short distance or using scoped rifle.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
After reading the posts, yesterday I created a new character and made it to Terrant to see if my memory was foggy. The character would just be a persuasive type.
Female Half-Elf, Beauty Queen, 16 BE, roughly 7 or 8 in everything else. Penalty to combat. 1 Point in Persuasion. All else in abilities.

Some notes:
1. Excidium II is right. The start of this game is imbalanced as all hell. Like clockwork, get a scar in the first combat or so reducing BE. Die more from criting myself. Drop weapon constantly. Combat it not fun, but unavoidable.
2. Go through most combats without trouble, though but still sucks that if myself or a companion drop below 0 HPs, we are dead forever. At the same time, I kinda like it. Reload when Virgil dies, just the same. Wolves wreck me and everyone else.
3. Make it to Broken Hills. Doctor 70 GP healing fixes scar. Everyone really likes me. Lots of good info. Reactions are all over 95.
4. Combat still sucks. I only get XPs if I hit, and Virgil seems to kick enemies to death more than I actually hit. Remember old strategy of giving him a dagger so he only hits for tiny damage. Combat is gruelling, but I start to level.
5. Now have 1.5 points in combat and paid 80 for "Apprentice" in combat.
6. Go to bridge. Usually I throw grenades and reload if I miss because this part sucks. Go up and talk to guy. Talk him away from bridge and he gives me 200 gp to boot.

Arrive in Terrant at level 6, Gog Mead Mug critted himself to death against some Kite Scouts in transit. Left him dead, even though I'm a fan of permadeath, it still sucks that if Virgil doesn't want to heal him or me, we die. I swear Gog went from 30+ HPs to dead by his own hand.

The bad after refreshing my memory
* Forgot you have to invest in DEX to raise combat, so the first five levels were spent investing in things unrelated to my build. Yes, you get lots of points/levels, but it breaks down if you do not invest right away in combat/magic skills. You can get around this by having Minions fight, but then you don't get XPs for combat.
* Admittedly, my build was hobbled on purpose, but the combat even against shit enemies was grating.
* Initiated conversation at Bar in Terrant. Level 45 guy attacked and killed me. Knew I was guy on blimp even though I never spoke of it with anyone.
* Feel like I'm at the mercy of Vergils AI most of the time.

The good
* Even with a bad build, there were a few opportunities to use persuasion in conversation. They tried to add that dimension. Don't know if this will drop off mid-game, but still.
* Forgot about the % on each enemy of getting better at killing them as you fight more of them. Kinda neat.
* The many ways of getting past the bridge. However, you could really be fucked by not knowing this is coming.
* It's ridiculous how custom you can make your character and the opportunities for different quest solutions.
* The art isn't as bad as I remember. Looks fine on a big monitor.
* Gets better as you go along, but the first couple of hours can be really painful. That bridge sucks but even that is passable if you destroy the bridge materials.

Yep, this game probably sucks for those armed with a walk-through/build guide. For folks who want to create their own style, it supports that in a lot of ways. Combat isn't one of them, but the sheer amount of freedom in creation should be PRAISED, not PISSED on.

A flawed gem? Yes
Disappointing? Yes
What could have been may have given me the strength to go on? Yes
It's all of the above, but by far it's not a shit game by the furthest stretch.

Sykar

Arcane
Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom