Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum: Best of

Arcanum still seems to be brought up a lot on the Codex, so let's discuss this unquestionable masterpiece and a milestone of the early 2000s RPG design once fucking again.

But this time, let's discuss the undoubtedly ingenious quest design specifically. What quests were the best from the design viewpoint? Please don't let your personal feelings cloud your judgment. Even though some quests (like the gnomish conspiracy) were very fun and enjoyable, we all know deep inside us that they were linear pieces of shit that shouldn't really belong in an RPG. With that out of the way, what I'm basically asking of you is tell us what quests offered the best choices in your opinion, and how good the said choices were implemented. Were they always logical? Have you ever felt that the game was limiting your choices? Have you ever thought "Why can't I just do this? This doesn't make sense!"? And of course, were any of those choices relevant in the end?

And another thing that I'd like to discuss here is the character system and the role it played in the quest design. We all know that a true RPG isn't just a CYOA book with filler combat, but a game where your character build affects everything, including the choices available to you. Basically, if the game doesn't check your character stats when offering you choices in a quest, it isn't role-playing, it's LARPing, or acting/pretending/whatever you may call it. Now, what I'm getting at is this: was the character system in Arcanum flexible enough to allow for vastly different builds? Of course, everyone's going to have a different opinion on this, but here's how I see it:

Things that affect dialog options: INT, CHA, Persuasion
Things that affect stealth options: Lockpicking, Prowling (mostly useless at low and mid levels, though), Pickpocket, plus some spells like Invisibility
Things that affect combat options: this doesn't have much to do with the quest design, so we won't discuss it
(There are, of course, other things that add additional options, like the Conjure Spirit spell that lets you speak with dead people, these are just the most important things in my opinion.)

Was this enough to allow for sufficiently complex quest design?

Well, there you go. Finally, I'd like to stress that the point of this thread is not about what Arcanum did wrong (it did wrong an awful lot of things), but what it did right and how the contemporary RPG developers can benefit from Troika's genius. Many people on the Codex are enjoying this magnificent RPG, so I (and many others, I'm sure) would like to know what parts of the game are considered the best by the majority.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is one of the few games where i found new ways and things to do every time i played.

My mage played different then my Tech guy there for the game felt so many times more open.

Every thing seemed to have a effect some how.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey if you play a retard, do you have to play a retard outside dialogue?
Will that be LARPING or role-playing?
Should the game have checks outside of dialogue/quests?
Should the character, because of low intelligence, take longer to travel to Tarant cos he is too dumb to navigate?
Should he randomly take damage because he is accident prone?
Should he get poisoned and diseased due to poor hygiene and eating poop?
Should he bring inadequate adventuring equipment cos he is too dumb?

Radisshu

Prophet
Mighty Mouse said:
Should the character, because of low intelligence, take longer to travel to Tarant cos he is too dumb to navigate?

And if you're playing a highly intelligent character, should the game override any stupid decisions you make, because a highly intelligent character fucking up like that would be very unlikely?

madbringer

Arcane
Mighty Mouse said:

I once gave a shot at playing an evil retard (int 3, pe 3) in Fallout 2, it was an exhilarating experience. Nigel was a drug and alcohol abusing, hth fighting, whoring, cheating sly bastard and no day of his was complete without kicking a child or a brahmin to death. He'd do stuff like throw rocks at supermutants and run away, steal Jet from prostitutes, kick Enclave soldiers in the groin and set explosives and drop them under his feet during combat.

Good times.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Radisshu said:
Mighty Mouse said:

And if you're playing a highly intelligent character, should the game override any stupid decisions you make, because a highly intelligent character fucking up like that would be very unlikely?
You are playing the game wrong then. :(

madbringer said:
I once gave a shot at playing an evil retard (int 3, pe 3) in Fallout 2, it was an exhilarating experience. Nigel was a drug and alcohol abusing, hth fighting, whoring, cheating sly bastard and no day of his was complete without kicking a child or a brahmin to death. He'd do stuff like throw rocks at supermutants and run away, steal Jet from prostitutes, kick Enclave soldiers in the groin and set explosives and drop them under his feet during combat.

Good times.
I could never bring myself to larp that, I did pretend to be a woman once.

jaro

Educated
It's pretty neat that your race affects some of your dialogue options, but not NPC reactions, mind you- that's purely BE+reaction modifier. I've once played through arcanum as a Half-orc diplomat, good shit.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Things that affect stealth options: Lockpicking, Prowling (mostly useless at low and mid levels, though), Pickpocket, plus some spells like Invisibility

I once did spend all the XP to get Invisibility, because I thought it would let me open locks etc without the NPCs going hostile, so that I'm not forced to kill them. Didn't function, as soon as I cast open lock, despite being invisible, the NPCs attacked me just fine. Why is that? The description states you stay invisible as long as you don't attack, casting open lock at a lock is not attacking someone, right?

As for the brilliant questdesign, it is most impressive that when I deliver the Orb from A to B I get to choose in the end whether insignificant NPC A or insignificant NPC B dies. OK, both have no meaning whatsoever, and you won't see them again either way, but it gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling that true roleplaying is all about.

Interestingly enough the second Troika game, ToEE, had a lot of similarities to Arc when it comes to questdesign. It's all there, skill checks in dialogues, alternate quest solutions, even joining the evil foozle in the end. Yet noone praises the ToEE questdesign. Another mystery. Personally, I blame the giant frogs.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
SCO said:
I can't believe people took the bait.
Drog:

mr_burns.jpg

Vault Dweller

Developer
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Interestingly enough the second Troika game, ToEE, had a lot of similarities to Arc when it comes to questdesign. It's all there, skill checks in dialogues, alternate quest solutions, even joining the evil foozle in the end. Yet noone praises the ToEE questdesign. Another mystery. Personally, I blame the giant frogs.
ToEE post-Hommlet quest design is brilliant (especially all that scheming in the temple) and was often praised in the good ol' days. The newfags have no appreciation for it though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
SCO said:
I can't believe people took the bait.
Didn't even read the original post when I saw the thread title and who started it. Your post (and VD's right after it) make me think that was a smart move.

Vault Dweller said:
ToEE post-Hommlet quest design is brilliant (especially all that scheming in the temple) and was often praised in the good ol' days. The newfags have no appreciation for it though.
I get the feeling people who bashed ToEE quest design and claimed the temple was just a boring hackfest (lies bullshit) never even played past Hommlet. All the scheming you could do to turn the temples against each other was tons of fun, not to mention there were so many different ways to get to the end game, some MUCH longer and more involved than others (I never even got to temple level 4 on my first run)

What's wrong, VD? You praise Arcanum so much, so how about you spare some time to tell us what quests you consider the best? Or is that too much to ask for?

Also, this a serious thread. I'd really like to hear why people praise Arcanum so much and what was so great about the quest design and the character system.

Vault Dweller

Developer
-=DarlSephiroth666=- said:
What's wrong, VD? You praise Arcanum so much, so how about you spare some time to tell us what quests you consider the best? Or is that too much to ask for?

Also, this a serious thread. I'd really like to hear why people praise Arcanum so much and what was so great about the quest design and the character system.
Honestly? I don't know what went wrong but you went from a great (the best and highly skilled) modder of a great but flawed game to a bitter and angry guy who hates this very game with strange passion.

So, while the topic is potentially interesting, I feel that it's a bait and doubt that a constructive discussion is possible. If I'm mistaken and you're really trying to have a good debate, I apologize, but I'm sure you're aware of your reputation.

Geez, VD, I'd just like to have a discussion about my favorite game and why everyone should love it even more, but here you come, ruining my day.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I never played Arcanum of course, because when I was younger, I was a sheep who believed negative reviews.

Now, I am just not interested in trying out fresh yet-to-be-played games anymore.

C&C is for fags, however.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I hated most Arcanum quests, they were uninspiring and boring, often fedex shit. And the game being horribly buggy did not help that at all. Must agree with our OP here. Even some gems hidden in this pile of shit cant save it (jewish conspiracy of course), especially not the dungeon crawling.
What I liked was atmosphere and the setting.
Seriously You people take this game for more than it is worth.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Malakal said:
Oh the same old overrated/underrated nonsense.

Hey guys, I have arbitrarily defined standards that are at cross with your arbitrarily defined standards, and thus I determine your arbitrary standards to be incorrect for putting on a higher pedestal things that would have been lower by my standards.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wyrmlord said:
Malakal said:
Oh the same old overrated/underrated nonsense.

Hey guys, I have arbitrarily defined standards that are at cross with your arbitrarily defined standards, and thus I determine your arbitrary standards to be incorrect for putting on a higher pedestal things that would have been lower by my standards.

My standards are the best obviously duh.

Besides it was those rabid fanbois that started all of this.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Malakal said:
I hated most Arcanum quests, they were uninspiring and boring, often fedex shit. And the game being horribly buggy did not help that at all. Must agree with our OP here. Even some gems hidden in this pile of shit cant save it (jewish conspiracy of course), especially not the dungeon crawling.
What I liked was atmosphere and the setting.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I'd give it a 4/10 for the effort and the writing/atmosphere. It's one of these games that I prefer to not touch without a character editor. But beyond that, it has some enjoyable moments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom