Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Apocalypse Now RPG by Monty Markland - terminated with extreme prejudice!

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Ok you'll have to come here cause I don't grift people for a living

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Ok you'll have to come here cause I don't grift people for a living
Where are you?

And what do you do for a living? Generationally wealthy or you live in a monastery? If you don’t grift, it just means someone higher in the org chart is grifting to keep you alive.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Mustawd leveled up from the Codex.

Got a wife and kid.
I have been married 2x during my Codex tenure. Marriage/family is not inconsistent with posting on Codex, I’ve found it actually encourages doing so.

Dating is easily the most incompatible with regular posting, but also did not stop me.

Main thing that levels one up from Codex is forgetting your PW and/or 2FA

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Who is this freak and why did he necro
I hope this is your cryptic way of announcing you're back in game development MLMarkland, preferably with G Ziets and Digimancy?

I only do IRL deathmatches now.

Up next, I might run for the US Senate.
Holy shit, look who s back folks.
I came back to announce an ultra violent hybrid FPS RPG from the POV of a Wagner Group PMC on his way through Ukraine to retake Warsaw.
You can also choose to be a Chechen or ISIS.

You have to maintain your APC/junker vic (depending on faction).

You can do fentanyl, PCP and crack.

Torture will be a tag-able skill.

vazha

Arcane

Got a wife and kid.

Or, say, scamming people, promising to deliver a game, and then bullshitting your way out of it in the most inane fashion possible. Sound familiar?

P.s. just for posterity, did any of your marriages involve scam? Or was perhaps scam the reason why they ended?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Got a wife and kid.
I have been married 2x during my Codex tenure. Marriage/family is not inconsistent with posting on Codex, I’ve found it actually encourages doing so.

Dating is easily the most incompatible with regular posting, but also did not stop me.

:philosoraptor:

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer

Got a wife and kid.

Or, say, scamming people, promising to deliver a game, and then bullshitting your way out of it in the most inane fashion possible. Sound familiar?

P.s. just for posterity, did any of your marriages involve scam? Or was perhaps scam the reason why they ended?

I’ve never scammed a player into supporting a game that wouldn’t be delivered.

I insisted every crowdfunding project, such as Apoc Now, on which I was a principal/partner keep crowdfunds in escrow until 120% of the total budget was secured.

In the case of Apoc Now game, our budget was $25M. $21M was committed from private / 3rd parties B2B (investors, banks, Amazon, platform exclusives).

20% would have been crowdfunding and pre-sales (and maybe selling EU distro to say Deep Silver).

But we built our own platform to engage in non-capture crowd pledges to specifically resolve my problems (and the audience problems’) with the Kickstarter “non-recourse debit/CC capture” event on projects that over promised and under/never delivered.

PS

I personally cancelled the game this thread relates to when we had already secured 88% of the budget in escrow and it was guaranteed to be completed from a financial POV.

Hey, exigent circumstances

vazha

Arcane
Glad to see your schizophrenia has reached a new lofty high. Didnt think it was possible, to be honest.

Never change - only instead of running for senate (god knows they ve got enough schizoids there as it is), here is a plan, it even has multiple stages, just as you like it:

1. Enlist into Wagner and go fight in Ukraine
2. Get captured by Ukrainians
3. Record a video, repenting for scamming us with this game (and well, for going to Ukraine as a Wagner recruit)
4. Be part of prisoner exchange
5. Get your head mashed into pulp by a sledgehammer
6. ???????
7. PROFIT!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
CryEngine was a cringe choice, MLMarkland . I told you at the time. I hope you see it in retrospect.

Anything you're working on now that we should know about?

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
CryEngine was a cringe choice, MLMarkland . I told you at the time. I hope you see it in retrospect.

Anything you're working on now that we should know about
Bester!

Hey, any choice other than Unreal was suboptimal.

But CryEngine let us do a $5M contingent deal with Amazon (who bought non-exclusive rights to the engine from CryTek) as a part of the overall finance package.

We needed $25M to make the game — Amazon’s $5M plus PC/Xbox exclusive plus crowdfunding gets us to almost 90% and we can just do a completion bond for remainder — so engine choice was a business and finance choice.

That’s also why we built a specific purpose crowdfunding site at AN website — the site didn’t automatically charge people until we would decide to “charge people because the budget is complete” and push a button.

KS funds if they also came through were going to be held in escrow until we had more money than the game needed to be made.

Obviously some things happened, and I cancelled the game, but the people involved on the engineering and finance side were quite sophisticated and intentionally set about to correct the fundamental flaw of kickstarters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom