Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoW2:Sm mods recommendations?

Internet

Scholar
I remember havin fun with a mod called "brave new world". This map in particular. If you like the setting, there should be a Lords of the Rings mod around that was well done when I tired it. Also, some maps you can find on the site you already linked to are pretty good, I remember this one specifically:

http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=175

On the other hand I haven't played that games in years so maybe some new stuf came out..

Edit: I was referring to Age of wonders: Shadow Magic, I never played Wizard's Throne

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I actually made my own single player mod for AOW:SM, based mainly on Wizards&Heroes, but using the units and their stats (with some modifications) from the 1.4 UOP, with my own contribution being editing all the various sites so that they have much more varied (and IMO "logical) defenders, inlcuding the new UOP 1.4 units.
I use it for all SP maps not requiring other mods, and it plays very well IMO, but I never released it since I haven't documented the changes in detail and since it uses UOP 1.4 units.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
First things first, patch 1.4 is mandatory. Then, "Brave New World" is indeed very good. Once you got used to it and if you enjoyed it you can go for "Strange lands" which changes even more things and integrates some of the changes brought by BNW.

BNW :
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=33&tn=5246&f=33,,,60&st=0

SL :
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=29&tn=5302&f=29,0,0,60&st=0

As for maps I won't second the first suggestion by Internet, I hate maps that give you a whole kingdom and lots of heroes on day 1, I'd rather build my own empire from the start. The second suggestion, on the other hand, I do second with a passion, "Battle of creation" is the best map I've ever played but it's probably better to play it with the 1.4 patch only. I played it with both BNW and SL, and while enjoyable it changed the balance a bit too much.

If you feel confident or masochistic enough you can try this map :
http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=939
it's the hardest I've found. Playing "undead" is almost impossible, playing "humans" makes it only very, very hard. It's also better to play it with only patch 1.4 for balance reasons.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
"Battle of creation" is the best map I've ever played but it's probably better to play it with the 1.4 patch only. I played it with both BNW and SL, and while enjoyable it changed the balance a bit too much.

That's one of my favourite maps too. But I actually prefered the WT version of it, since the SM version makes you start as an Anarchist, which means little variation on troops you can use.

If you feel confident or masochistic enough you can try this map :
http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=939
it's the hardest I've found. Playing "undead" is almost impossible, playing "humans" makes it only very, very hard. It's also better to play it with only patch 1.4 for balance reasons.

I tried to play the original version once, but was soon obliterated when the AI cast all manner of strategic spells, including a Mastery spell followed by various storms that killed my Wizard. A Force Field should should probably be a priority.

My personal favourite SP map for SM is Legacy of Lolth. Nice story, you start two (IIRC) separated heroes, the map is quite dynamic and there are so awesome scripted events, and some truly epic battles. Recommended!

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
That's one of my favourite maps too. But I actually prefered the WT version of it, since the SM version makes you start as an Anarchist, which means little variation on troops you can use.
IIRC, the WT version has two enemy wizards (cut down to one in the SM version) which makes for longer AI turns. Both versions are kickass anyway.

I tried to play the original version once, but was soon obliterated when the AI cast all manner of strategic spells, including a Mastery spell followed by various storms that killed my Wizard. A Force Field should should probably be a priority.
Definitely. This version gives force fields to allied AIs to make sure they don't get wiped out exactly like that. :)

My personal favourite SP map for SM is Legacy of Lolth. Nice story, you start two (IIRC) separated heroes, the map is quite dynamic and there are so awesome scripted events, and some truly epic battles. Recommended!
I don't remember if I played that one or not, I played a couple of dark elves themed maps over the years. I probably did since there are not that many pure SP maps. I'll try it once I'm through the one I'm playing now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom